HybridZ

Phlebmaster's 240Z Evolution, 56k fah-getta-bout-it. ;-)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have to change the title to;

"Phlebmaster's 240Z Evolution, Broadband, fah-getta-bout-it. ;-)"

:lmao:

:iagree: I am a visual kinda guy. lol (as most are... heheheh)

You're not kidding. Even with Comcast cable internet, this thread doesn't load all that quickly.

On the other hand, it's good to see pretty constant progress. Keep it up!

Thanks! I have more today.....

Pfft. Insight BB is truckn' along no probs!

Keep it up Phleb, it's nice to see some constant progress like this...

Subscribed.

I tend to be very impatient when it comes to my Datto. I like to get in and get it done. :D

Oh, and BTW!!! :lmao:

:worthless:

If you haven't already, I would not use armour all. It will give you fish eyes in your paint if you plan on painting it soon. If you have already used it then you can buy some fish eye reducer additive for the paint. Just and FYI

Yeah, thanks. I thought about it more before I made that mistake.

I have decided on a color after reading this thread.......

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84768

I want it to closely resemble this car.

carshow034-1.jpg

Got motivated by that BRE car. Started back up on the bodywork. lol

I ran out of cream hardener. :( I backed the bondo glass with a special fiberglass strip and that should keep a good grip on it. I will do more after I sand this stuff down and go over everything I need to with the regular smooth bondo.

rba73m.jpg

Got bored tonight and decided to shave my side markers and fill those rear bumper bolt holes. :)

I backed the side marker holes with galvanized steel plates riveted on and then silicone to prevent moisture. Now I will do some more finish sanding and fix any imperfections.

2v2w2kj.jpg

4vfhap.jpg

34dflv4.jpg

1pjafo.jpg

2h5mslx.jpg

I really hope you don't have longevity issues with all of those, but I fear you will. :(

I am new to bodywork so please explain. Why would I have longevity issues and what is your suggestion to stop it. :wink:

I used bondo glass for the first layer then smooth bondo for the second. I only have the thick coat there to get it started and fill everything in. I sand most of that off then use only very thin coats of smooth bondo to finish it off and work out the inperfections.

I really hope you don't have longevity issues with all of those, but I fear you will. :(

with the bondo glass and a thin layer of bondo to thin it out i dont see many inssues with that as long as there isnt a lot of flex on those body panels...that is similar to how i have molded spoilers onto trunks instead of bondo glass though i just used fiberglass fabric then smooth with a very thin layer of bondo

To fill in those indentions for the rear bumper, you had to have almost 1/2" of filler I'd say. I don't care what kind of strand fiber filled concrete filler was used, that's not the right way to do it, and it will fail in the long run. Shoulda welded it, is all I'm saying. :cool:

To fill in those indentions for the rear bumper, you had to have almost 1/2" of filler I'd say. I don't care what kind of strand fiber filled concrete filler was used, that's not the right way to do it, and it will fail in the long run. Shoulda welded it, is all I'm saying. :cool:

Ahhh....good point. :wink:

I used a 1/2" thick textured fiberglass filler strip (it is a hard peice) that I bolted in the slot so I only have less than 1/4" of bondo glass and smooth bondo in that slot. It is the same stuff I made my fiberglass front bumper mold out of....hard as a rock when dry and textured for pleasure. :D

You can almost see it in this picture behind the bondo glass.....

rba73m.jpg

It is almost comperable to welding a metal strip in the same spot. I don't have a welder...so I have to get creative. :D It won't be falling out or cracking any time soon.

Cracking/failing is only one thing you have to worry about. Filler absorbs moisture and i don't need to tell you what moisture can do to our cars.

:D Yeah, I read a thread here that said there is a way to vent that moisture by using a rubber tube behind the filler. I sprayed the hell out of everything with rust inhibitor to stave off the rust and then put the bondo in there. I hope it works out. :)

The tube may work, but who knows for how long, agreed on the welding.

As it is now though, I'd recommend using just a little more bondo and starting to feather it out over the line where the bumper indent began. It may look all cool and smooth now but when you throw some high build primer or even worse a finish coat, you'll still see that line like a sore thumb.

The tube may work, but who knows for how long, agreed on the welding.

As it is now though, I'd recommend using just a little more bondo and starting to feather it out over the line where the bumper indent began. It may look all cool and smooth now but when you throw some high build primer or even worse a finish coat, you'll still see that line like a sore thumb.

Thanks for the tip. I am getting another quart of smooth bondo for the finish work.

I finally got my front air dam!! YAY! It needs some work, but it was a great price and I don't mind putting in the effort. :D

11icwfp.jpg

Test fit....

vn2xi8.jpg