HybridZ

Phlebmaster's 240Z Evolution, 56k fah-getta-bout-it. ;-)

Hello, I just aquired this wonderful 1973 240Z form a guy looking for a trade on CL. I traded my 1973 620 truck in a strait trade. I thought is sounded like a great deal for me. I have alway wanted a Zcar and now I finally have it!

Pic of my truck...... :mrgreen: This was a two year project. http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3393

2w223pd.jpg

The 240Z has all the rust in all the usual places, but it is workable. The L24 smoked, the interior is decent, the tranny has been gone through recently nice and tight and smooth shifting, flat tops YUK! I have to get started on transforming this baby....so here we go :mrgreen:

She has new struts and control arms, a small amount of rust in the usual places.....but it is a Z car. I have wanted one for ever and now I finally have one. She also comes with a set of round top SUs and some other stuff. I WILL need help from you Z car guys...since this is all new to me.

Here are some pictures....

Out side body.....

16038cz.jpg

6sh27c.jpg

2a848ig.jpg

2vjzul0.jpg

sljk1y.jpg

s32h4k.jpg

14y62dc.jpg

2cy63ki.jpg

n50myb.jpg

sfxr11.jpg

Here is the interior....

2rwnqle.jpg

ra50t0.jpg

2i1cvfq.jpg

wlvhxy.jpg

33p7gqg.jpg

2vt5ead.jpg

w1p4kj.jpg

beu32g.jpg

The engine bay......

2zssj5t.jpg

244o95z.jpg

3007gn9.jpg

108crwy.jpg

15e925z.jpg

r1zu50.jpg

Other specifics.....

nmwxa8.jpg

bgps9y.jpg

The rust......

1ounv5.jpg

sbhiz6.jpg

6h8f0y.jpg

First things first....I had to make her a Hybrid Z car, so I went for the swap not even 8 hours after I got her. :burnout:Thanks to Skib this was a smooth but time consuming swap.

Say goodbye to the L24

2qdvfd4.jpg

hrn0h3.jpg

rcttsi.jpg

2v3ls9d.jpg

opb7r8.jpg

Say hello the the L26....

2l9tyc1.jpg

1z5mfck.jpg

t8u5ia.jpg

2wg8783.jpg

abrq5t.jpg

30car1i.jpg

2iu93z9.jpg

25swnqh.jpg

2e2f9ls.jpg

23tjm7q.jpg

21j26o9.jpg

29osx8h.jpg

Here is a start up video with the L26 :shock:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished painting my wheels tonight, so I now need to get wide enough tires for them

Here is the awesome 2-1/2" exhaust system I will put on my Z this week

10rldug.jpg

14jlz01.jpg

flotech muffler with tip from the G35 exhaust

21llkpj.jpg

35n3kwg.jpg

25h1zz5.jpg

I will pick up the header from SKib in the morning so I can get this done ASAP! I can't wait to hear this thing rip! VIDEO TO FOLLOW :D

Here are the obligatory swap pictures.... :D

See the pipe size difference?? :eek:

i3dlcw.jpg

Ready for install

29csw81.jpg

I learned a few things about puting these on...not as strait forward as the stock and getting to all of the bolts is alot of work. :rolleyes:

110g93a.jpg

So I make her do it... :lol: :lol:

2z6w8de.jpg

1fa6bn.jpg

Looks pretty good!

2s119ar.jpg

I am not going to use the muffler...as you can see it makes the exhaust too low and it scrapes the ground. :mad:

20uz5hv.jpg

Oh well it sounds WAY better without it IMO. :D

here is the video....

I said I was doing bodywork this weekend...well, here is after some serious sanding, de-rusting, Bondo Glass, and primer. :D

That bondo glass dries really fast :eek: I had to re mix it several times because it would harden so fast. :lol:

Not too bad for 4 hours work. ;) I finish sanding and primer tomorrow. I will wait on the paint because I have a friend with a compressor and paint gun. I will do this car the right way....no spray can job this time. :D I like this car way too much.

23lig06.jpg

25k7by0.jpg

1q3jph.jpg

9rubs5.jpg

fa68m0.jpg

vanpj.jpg

vyxy0w.jpg

2qtye03.jpg

Look what I just got today!! :D Now I can do the paint the right way.

5e95vq.jpg

Campbell Hausfeld Siphon-Feed Spray Gun

Model DH6500

SPECIFICATIONS

Model DH6500. Sprays enamel, lacquer, stain or urethane for customizing and restoring. Features adjustable pattern control. Minimum 3.5 HP recommended. Average 6.8 SCFM @ 40 PSI.

Features

Pattern control adjusts fan size

Fluid control regulates amount of paint sprayed

External mix air cap included

Perfect for customizing and restoring automobiles, trucks, and motorcycles

Sprays lacquer, enamel, stain, primer, and urethane

Siphon-feed, non bleeder gun with adjustable pattern control sprays up to 9" pattern

Includes

Siphon-Feed Spray Gun - DH6500

External Mix Air Cap

1 qt. Anti-Drip Canister

I finally decided on a color....cool vanilla. You all have seen it on GM cars :mrgreen:

30jjyau.jpg

It won't draw the cop's attention as much as my exhaust will. lol It will still look good with my yellow wheels and black trim will go nicely. :mrgreen:

This color will run me about 37.00 a quart.

What kind of exhaust is that i like it wonder how it would sound with my turbo L24:mrgreen:

It is from a 2008 Infinity G35 Coupe connected to a 6-2-1 header...it sounds mean!

I put a ZX radiator on this weekend.....fits great! Thank you Skib!! :mrgreen:

35iwtb5.jpg

It doesn't hang down too low...

ay7bxv.jpg

Oh yeah! Look at what I got from Zrac3r...Thanks Megan! :) This will replace my pass fender. That fender is the only body damage besides the typical rust on this car. :)

11likgk.jpg

Hey could you give more picts of that G35 exhaust? Did you have any problems hanging it, or fit troubles past the rear drivetrain?

Good luck on painting it yourself, you should really practice with your gun a bit before trying to use it on your car. it's also very important to read all you can about painting and paint techniques. Maybe practice on your old junked right fender before you paint the car. Also, wear a proper mask, those paint fumes can fark you up bad.

Can't wait to see how it comes out, you're doing a massive amout of work in a short time. it's inspiring ;)

Phar

Hey could you give more picts of that G35 exhaust? Did you have any problems hanging it, or fit troubles past the rear drivetrain?

Good luck on painting it yourself, you should really practice with your gun a bit before trying to use it on your car. it's also very important to read all you can about painting and paint techniques. Maybe practice on your old junked right fender before you paint the car. Also, wear a proper mask, those paint fumes can fark you up bad.

Can't wait to see how it comes out, you're doing a massive amout of work in a short time. it's inspiring ;)

Phar

Thanks man!

This is what I started with....

2uy4srb.jpg

mvg8zp.jpg

I cut it here to get the bolt flange to mate to the header....

1z64i79.jpg

You can sort of see the layout next to the car....

35n3kwg.jpg

With header....

e5psfs.jpg

You can see how it drops down way too low....

671sus.jpg

I had to shorten it up a bit and really push the exhaust piping over to the driveline channel. There is no interference with the drive train or suspension. Same exhaust as a 350Z if that helps.