HybridZ

Would 2" eBay wheel adapters be safe with a high hp build?

I did search, and know this topic has been discussed, but not this particular configuration. I have a pair of 17x10.5 cobra wheels for my widebody project. I currently have 17x9 wheels bolted to the rear, and it looks like if I bring them out 2" more, the 17x10.5 would fill the wheel/flare gap pretty well, and they'll clear the struts. I'm looking at these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Adapters-5-Lug-Mustang-T-Bird-Ranger-Spacers-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem5ad1529965QQitemZ390058908005QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm wondering if these should be okay to use as a wheel adapter. The drivetrain will be a supercharged v8, and I'm planning on having it set to run 650-800rwhp. I've never ran adapters before, and the only negative thing I read about them on this website, as well as others, is to use a good one and not a cheap piece of crap. This ebay adapter looks good to me, but how do I know if it's a pos or not? Plus I didn't read many people running the 2" spacer - most were 1" - 1.25". Any potential / notorious hazards with this?

I think the bolts used are the weak link on these adapters.

you could see if ARP or anyone has something that you can use to replace them.

but for an 800 horsepower car? save yourself the pennies and time of doing the legwork and go with a proven product.

I ran 1.6" Spacers for 5years on my fairly modded ZX Turbo....no where near 650whp, no issues.

Porsche 911 Turbos (pre '89) ALL come with 1" spacers in the rear from the factory and these cars as you know frequently see well north of 500whp but use longer studs not studs on studs like the eBay spacers for our cars.

Yasin

I bought some adapters from that same vendor.

They serve my purpose (space out my 18" Titan rims on the front of my 620 pickup so the tires don't rub on the frame)

But a few points to be aware of:

-Make sure you know the thread pitch that will come on the adapters you buy. They may say it's for a particular vehicle, but they are usually inferring just the lug pattern and hub bore size, not the original thread pitch of the lugs you have! Case in point - I got 12mmX1.5 thread pitch when my lugs were 12mmX1.25, so maybe you have nice chrome lug nuts that you won't be able to use anymore and have to buy more.

-They are not 'hub centric', ie. the bore on the adapters have enough clearance to ensure they will fit for the application, so they are not fitted per say to the exact dimension of your hub, and much less obviously your wheel bore (I know you are talking about the rear only, just pointing out).

-They 'feel' cheap - very light feel to them (I don't know if higher quality aluminum would feel any 'beefier', I'm just saying). Is 6061 aluminum the best? Or even verifiable? Also probably pointing out the obvious -Made in China- so you are getting what you pay for at those prices !

-Peronally, I don't think I would trust them to hold up in a 500hp+ application!

Hope this helps.

but for an 800 horsepower car? save yourself the pennies and time of doing the legwork and go with a proven product.

Who is the "proven" product. I'm not trying to go cheap with this build, and especially not on a wheel spacer, but this eBay spacer was the only one I could find with the 4.5 x 5 lug pattern and the 2" thickness.

I ran 1.6" Spacers for 5years on my fairly modded ZX Turbo....no where near 650whp, no issues.

Porsche 911 Turbos (pre '89) ALL come with 1" spacers in the rear from the factory and these cars as you know frequently see well north of 500whp but use longer studs not studs on studs like the eBay spacers for our cars.

Yasin

I knew Porsche used wheel spacers, but I wasn't sure exactly what their setup was. I was thinking that the studs on studs spacer was more safe than using longer wheel studs and a slide-on spacer, because it wouldn't put as much stress on the same stud...

I bought some adapters from that same vendor.

They serve my purpose (space out my 18" Titan rims on the front of my 620 pickup so the tires don't rub on the frame)

But a few points to be aware of:

-Make sure you know the thread pitch that will come on the adapters you buy. They may say it's for a particular vehicle, but they are usually inferring just the lug pattern and hub bore size, not the original thread pitch of the lugs you have! Case in point - I got 12mmX1.5 thread pitch when my lugs were 12mmX1.25, so maybe you have nice chrome lug nuts that you won't be able to use anymore and have to buy more.

-They are not 'hub centric', ie. the bore on the adapters have enough clearance to ensure they will fit for the application, so they are not fitted per say to the exact dimension of your hub, and much less obviously your wheel bore (I know you are talking about the rear only, just pointing out).

-They 'feel' cheap - very light feel to them (I don't know if higher quality aluminum would feel any 'beefier', I'm just saying). Is 6061 aluminum the best? Or even verifiable? Also probably pointing out the obvious -Made in China- so you are getting what you pay for at those prices !

-Peronally, I don't think I would trust them to hold up in a 500hp+ application!

Hope this helps.

I'm not too worried about the lugnuts, because I can always buy the correct thread and pitch, but if the studs come as m12x1.5, that's the same as the current lugnuts I'm running.

I guess what I need to look for is, who makes a reputable wheel adapter in the 2" thickness that I need?

Ditto the Porsche comments. Aside from being factory installed, many very high hp 911's use them. It is very common in P-land, even on 200mph cars. Don't believe me? Flip through an issue of "Excellence" and you'll see ads for them throughout.

As far as strength, quality machining and metallurgy is the key. Most dually trucks use spacers on the front to allow the use of flipped dually rear wheels up front. Granted, they are usually beefy steel, but you get the idea.

I used these sorts of adapters on my 1973 Ford Fairlane - they were 35mm in total height from memory, and worked quite well - but they were not properly sized for my hubs so I snapped a few wheel studs - get them sized correctly and they will work fine - or put a spacer on your hub!

Go to skulte.com. He makes adapters for high horsepower f-bodies and custom applications. As stated before get all your mesaurements together ( stock bolt patterns, hub size .... and the specs on the wheels you are going buy.

Who is the "proven" product. I'm not trying to go cheap with this build, and especially not on a wheel spacer, but this eBay spacer was the only one I could find with the 4.5 x 5 lug pattern and the 2" thickness.

S13 guys with 600+ hp have had good results with these:

http://www.ichibausa.com/

not sure if they're what you're looking for but I'm sure they can make them in any bolt configuration if you ask (they probably have it on a DWF file already)...

Go to skulte.com. He makes adapters for high horsepower f-bodies and custom applications. As stated before get all your mesaurements together ( stock bolt patterns, hub size .... and the specs on the wheels you are going buy.

He was buying them from someone else, at least for a while.

My suggestion is to email Ross at Modern-motorsports.com and tell him what you need. He can have it made in any size or thickness you want. I have some MM adapters and some ebay ones specifically made for those 17" Mustang wheels. The aluminum on the ebay (Chinese) ones makes me shiver, the whole thing pales in comparison to the MM adapters (USA, baby) in nearly every way.

Davy

I personally went with Fred Goeske at http://www.wheeladapter.com/ His are made to order in the usa by a great dragracer. He uses only the best materials and high quality hardware. They are also hub centric to the original vehicle and the wheels used. He asks alot of questions and they are not cheap but worth every penny. I ordered a set and the fit perfectly on my application of 85 vette suspension to 2008 Z06 wheels.

I know there are wheel spacers for our datsuns - the particular one I'm looking for is a 5 lug pattern, 4.5x5 to be exact, and I need it in a 2" spacer - the closest I was able to find that wasn't a cheap eBay spacer (prior to this thread) was 1.25". Thanks to a few of the replies, I now have other options to look into. I'll post an update if I can find one.