HybridZ

First long drive in the VQ240z

240hoke

Hey Guys,

I just took the car on a trip up to school and went to the Triangle Z Club B-Z-Q and car show. All total it was a 500 mile round trip and the car preformed flawlessly. Needless to say I was pretty happy with everything...finally felt nice to be able to go for a long cruise.

Most of the driving was on the interstate, traveling at an average of 75 mph I got around 27 mpg.

Im pretty busy tonight but Ill post so pictures from the show tomorrow, its was a pretty fun time and I even took home a peoples choice award w00t.

Wow!!

I'll bet you were listening to every sound and scanning gauges like crazy on the way out there.

Did you do this without a "safety net"?

I do this just driving to the damn store! :lol:

Good to know things are holding up well. I guess you've got about :burnout:1000 miles:burnout: or so on the new engine. Have you gone through and checked your bolts to see if anything has come loose? Now that you've got into is a ways, is there anythink that you would have done differently were you to build it again?

How was the :flamedeviheat:flamedevi build-up under the car during the trip? Any funny :icon45:smells:icon45:? That is aside from that 7-11 burrito...

hehe just kidding, you know we hang on your every word...:shock:

Phar

Grim:

So far I am happy with the car...its no drag car, and she wont do rolling burnouts at 80 but she is plenty of fun. I honestly think its a great match for the car, its got gobs of torque down low and moves out good.

PETEW, rturbo:

I think If I slowed down a little and kept it around 70 mph I would get even better fuel economy, I was driving about that speed on the way to school and I think I got like 28-29. That could be optimistic though....I didnt check the mpg until I drove it around town to the show, and gave people some rides. It got 26 in the "mixed" scenario.

HowlerMonkey:

NO safety net, all I brought was a multimeter, OBDII Scanner, and a 10,12, and 14mm wrench. :shock:

Pharaohabq:

I did have a transmission mount bolt fall out after zdayz lol....It was caught in the crossmemeber so I just put it back in. Other then that so far so good, the cantilevered engine mounts kinda bother me...but so far they are holding up great. Heat really wasnt bad, but it was 80-90 out anyway so I was cruising with the windows down the VQ certainly burns a lot cleaner then my L28 did thats for sure. The second resonator in the exhaust was wonderful; while cruising I could hardly hear the exhaust, no drone. Its still loud when I get on it though and thats one thing I wish I would have changed....I wanna be able to romp on it all the way to redline without drawing attention.

Anyway Im still hung up with starting my new job so I gotta get back to studying and stuff...hopefully I get time to upload some pictures tomarrow. It was my first day as a Engineering Intern at Penske Racing today :burnout:

Awesome, Rockon! Penske racing is one of my favorites. Congrats on that, I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

Yeah, I've been trying to think of a way to make a crossmember to go under the engine for my mounts. Stupid suspension is always in the way. Maybe if I integrate parts of it into the crossmember then bolt it to the inside and bottom of the frame rail. I dunno, Maybe use weld in compression anchors in the frame rail to bolt into. we'll see. You're not seeing any signs of frame twisting are you?

Yeah, I liked your resonator in the middle there. I'm going to run the stock cats, likely modified in position, with a large muffler. Might add a resonator, or a pair of glasspacks, if it's too loud. I want to hear the road more than my engine. though even the stock 350Z's are ungodly loud when you step on them. I'm glad the heat wasn't too bad, I was worried about the exhaust cooking the undercoating. heat shields are a PITA to make and actually keep quiet. Fire bad.

Nice mileage, I hope mine does that well, it's a load better than the 18MPG my Z32 gets.

Phar

My Z32 gets 24.5 mpg going 75-80 mph

and with my 4.08 rear end my revs are more than halfway through the rev range.

if you play with the rear end im sure you can get over 30, then with SAFC-II fiddling you could get 35 maybe. and thats not even sorting out the aero on the 240z.

you should try and get more power out of your Z. a front mount turbo sounds like a good idea for your Z. so you could burnout at 80mph haha.:flamedevi

Haha,

I had power before. Im honeslty enjoying the motor how it is. I think i'm going to focus on other things like getting the suspension sorted out how I want it finishing up the interior real nice etc etc.

Im been driving my 240z alot lately and I have been loving it, just no a/c is getting a little brutal since its been in the 90's recently.

Future to do list before I add power:

- Wilwood Front Brakes

- Adjustable Rear control arms

- Fuel Cell w/ Baffles and in tank pump (Fuel safe probably)

- Engine mount cross member

- Aero Work Maybe

- Front chassis brace (triangulated strut tower bars maybe

Engine mods:

-UTEC

- NAWWWWWZZZZ ? maybe maybe

I've been thinking about AC. it'd be really nice to move a AC system from a 350Z to an S30. I need to get mine done first before I see if an AC pump would even fit. you're in a lot more humid area so w/o AC I bet you're suffering. I doubt the mass of the AC flywheel would really noticably hurt your engine torque. Is there room in your engine compartment?

Phar

Oh yeah, I saw that. Pict#4. Why didn't I think... Maybe it would be possible to put it where the old PS pump would be. I dunno if there would be any furthor room there either. because of the exhaust. Other possibility is maybe a front mount AC pump I've seem some people do that with their V8 installs. looks kinda funny tho. Perhaps a AC unit from a different car?

I wonder how hard an electric compressor would be to use. Maybe I'll have to take apart a little wall unit and see what the guts look like.

that darn steering rod.. hmm maybe if we made something like how myron did his, but perhaps tucked closer to the framerail, or perhaps in the frame rail? I dunno. I've got a lot to do before I get to that point.

Phar

Austin, I remember looking at the Nissan Truck (VQ40) and IIRC I think the AC compressor mounts higher on that side than the VQ35 mounts. I'm not sure if that's enough but maybe a start?

-Bob

• 3 weeks later...