HybridZ

What would you buy?

Hi guys, I'm looking to finally get a Datsun Z. I'm just wondering where is a good place to start? I am currently looking at a few different Z's–all in different price ranges and conditions.

What would be the better option? A pristine Z all restored or a somewhat beater that has a few rust holes here and there? I know some of those "restored" Z's run all the way up to 25k, but I have seen some really nice ones going for around 7-9k. I plan on doing an engine swap at some point as well as an update to all the usual components (suspension, brakes, etc).

If you had to do it all over again, where would you guys start? Thanks.

I got my early 260Z for around $3000 and I feel ripped off on it. The floor boards were replaced....improperly. And the engine ran perfectly fine when I got it...but died the next day. If I could do it again I would just buy a plain old shell for a couple hundred, maybe someone's project that they had to get rid of because of financial crisis, running out of room, or a angry wife. I would do that instead because with the level of modification I'm dreaming of doing, all frame rails would be 2X2" tubing. Custom double wishbone front and back, the back having special frame rails and cage around the diff to support the design.

I've seen really good Z's for around $4000 and forgotten ones for like $200. It would depend on what you want. Something to drive right now and look good, get the $4000 one. If you want something you can tear about in your garage, swap in a powerful engine, custom chassis/suspension, just get the $200. That's just my opinion though.

Yeah, Whut he sed....

Really, Think a lot about what you want in the end. Know that when you're into it, some things and opinions you have about the cars are going to change.

I'd recommend you go "test drive" a few Z's and then start deciding what you want. Know this, tho, likely you'll never get your money out of a Z car. This is a labor of love. Kinda like dating, you'll spend all kinda of cash just for the personal gratification of having your car. It will be your baby, and generally will not be cheap. but look around, deals DO come along.

You're in LA apparently, so there should be quite a few decent Z's out there. I'd definitely recommend that you search on and READ about all the areas to look for RUST. These cars do RUST even in a drier climate. They are 30+ years old depending on your model, so they WILL NOT drive like a new car or even one from the 90's, unless you put some love in their direction.

That being said, look around, and get a real good idea of your budget. The Z Car is worth what YOU will pay for it. You pay too much, then that's on you, you're the one writing the check. You get a steal? That's also on you for you good savvy. Look around, and not just locally. 800 bucks will ship a Z across the US, so look everywhere, Craigslist, Ebay, papers. There's a few left out there. Maybe you'll find that one "barn-find" perfect 200 miles car for $100 bucks from some grandpa, but don't hold your breath. If you're going to mod it, then don't get anything with "collector value". Just look around, and know what you're getting into before "Z Love Bug" finds you. I bought my nearly rust free 78' 280z for $300 bucks. Deals are out there.

Phar

If your going replace most of the cars components anyway, focus on the chassis. Hold out for a straight and rust free body ( if there still is such a thing ). Someone elses failed project can be a great start, they will never get back what they spent. For that matter, a completed modified car will always sell for alot less than what was spent. Of course, you dont get the satisfaction of doing the build yourself, but that means different things to different people.Your call.

I got my '78 280z for a little less than $1600 5 years ago in Temecula CA. In good shape, no rust, no mechanical or electrical issues. Just dryrotted rubber. I even drove it to the east coast, no problems. Search around, there's tons of good Z's in Cali, and the southwest.

Thanks for the response guys. I'll keep my eye out for some pre-76 Zs out here. I think I'll try and find a relatively good shape Z car that runs, and get out the money pit shovel. :mrgreen:

LA. Weathers great, emissions sucks. Oh well.

It depends on how much you're planning on replacing down the road. Purchasing interior pieces, small trim pieces, rubber pieces, heating and cooling system components, etc... because you bought a shell can add up to quite a bit of money.

We're lucky to live on the west coast, so I'd say find a mostly complete, minimal rust car and you'll have a great starting point for future modifications that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm in the chicago area...I look around alot on craigslist and man would I love to live in LA, your cars are in pristine shape body wise and the prices aren't ridiculous like in the midwest here... $3000 for a nice car and $7500 for cars anywhere else would be $10k plus...