HybridZ

Clear up the mystery on LT1 cooling

From http://www.indipalass.com/ARCHIVE/TechCorner/ARTICLES/LT1ReverseFlowCoolingSystem.htm

Dry Intake Manifold:

The LT1 has absolutely NO water running through the intake manifold! Conventional cooling systems have passages in the intake manifold which allow coolant to crossover from one side of the engine to the other. In the LT1, coolant crossover occurs in the water pump, which is also where the thermostat is located. Since there are no coolant passages in the intake manifold, a major source of leaks has been eliminated. Overall engine reliability is improved since an intake manifold leak allows coolant to enter the top of the engine which can quickly wipe out the camshaft, lifters, and other major engine components.

Does the coolant flow through the LT1 intake or not. Some people say it does not but the 2nd line in the shop manual for removing the intake says to drain the engine. I need to reseal the intake but don't want to dump water into the engine and draining the whole thing will be a pain.

they want to drain the coolant cause they also want you to remove the coolant line the connects both head at the rear. some people get to agresive when trying bend it out of the way when removing the intake.

That's a good point.

they want to drain the coolant cause they also want you to remove the coolant line the connects both head at the rear. some people get to agresive when trying bend it out of the way when removing the intake.

Well I just looked at the rear of the intake. Even with the JTR set back there is still plenty of room and what I saw was that there was no interfearance with the Vent pipes and the intake. Looks like the intake should lift straight up and out unless there is something under the intake that necessitates moving the intake to the rear to get it up.

The steam pipe runs along the intake. In fact it has a bracket that bolts to the 3rd intake stud and holds it against the valve cover. I just looked at mine, if you're careful it looks like you should be able to get the intake off.

• 5 months later...

If using an F-Body water pump ('95 Z-28), where do you run the "engine coolant bypass" port to. It is the exit from the water pump in the lower right portion. Also, what does this do?

Thanks!

Eric

LT1PIC.jpg

p34413_image_large.jpg

lt1 cylinder heads don,t flow coolant thru the intake to the radiator like the earlier heads do, the water pump is the exit point for coolant flow.

lt1_water_pumps.jpg

NOTICE THE STANDARD DESIGN HEADS HAVE WATER to INTAKE TRANSFER PORTS

SBC.gif

Edited by grumpyvette

Most of us use a rubber plug you can get in most parts store to plug the hole after getting the hose fitting out. You can also tap the hole and use a threaded plug. This is how I hooked mine up:

LT1WaterPump.jpg

I think it is used on the SS Camaro for the oil cooler. There is a fitting on the Camaro radiator.

95-97_hoses.jpg

I think the reason the shop manual recommends draining some of the coolant before removing the intake on the LT1 is because coolant does flow through the throttle body in the stock set up. Refer to items #4 and #5 in the diagram posted above, those are the hoses that connect to the t-body. If you bypassed the t-body coolant lines in your car then no need to drain the coolant before removing the intake.

You are correct. Most people upgrading these engines bypass the throtle body. Its really only a smog thing.

I think the reason the shop manual recommends draining some of the coolant before removing the intake on the LT1 is because coolant does flow through the throttle body in the stock set up. Refer to items #4 and #5 in the diagram posted above, those are the hoses that connect to the t-body. If you bypassed the t-body coolant lines in your car then no need to drain the coolant before removing the intake.