HybridZ

Why Don't Zs Dominate The 24 Hours Of LeMons?

blaze73

22 hours on our engine before 'engine implosion'...

The first car died due to on-track accidents (several)...

Teh second suffered from inredible cheapness and thinking that we could run a junkyard engine with over 160,000 miles on it without doing a DAMNED thing to it other than precious bodily fluid changes and a set of spark plugs...

I mean, it DID lead for the first 8 hours in Reno...then the rod went.

If we simply time shifted the engine hours to subtract the 14 hours it ran at Thunderhill (I mean, guys, it was going over 100mph into turn 1 with no pan baffles!)

I think if the Z's simply SLOWED DOWN they would take it. But the inherent nature of Z Drivers is to RUN HARD and running hard in on an unprepped junkyard engine isn't good.

Mechanically, save for the Mopar savagely ripping the front 1/4 of our car off at Thunderhill, we have had no problems.

Now the car awaits another test. Refine and tweak. The car is sorted, handles great, and over the course of two events we've dialed it in. No serious shunts last event means this car can compete again. Dig out that old accusump off the turbo engine from the junkyard...and we might just stand a chance!

It was running STRONG at Reno.

And hell, I bought SIX CARS for $600! When you start selling fenders and crap like that, the cost goes down. Especially when you have a European guy willing to pay your $400 for what you normally would toss to the scrap man. Frank raided my scrap trailer and we made out pretty god after Ad said he needed 1/4 panels and roofs... Three of each went his way, muahahaha! The rest went to scrap in Riverside!

Fluoridation, be sure.

CHILDREN, MANDRAKE! INNOCENT CHILDREN! They're after our precious bodily fluids!

As mentioned before, the Z for $500 won't run reliably for 2 days at 8 hours a day.

The other reason is archaic suspension design. Who usually dominates lemons? neons and miatas. Why? Because they weigh as much as the Z, if not less, handle better, and have reliable stout drivetrains

Miatas and Neons have drivetrains and suspensions that are 20 years newer than most of the Z's competing. 78 vs 98. If nothing else that explains the retirements.

Really, our first outing was nothing more than stupidity. And I'll remind you it was a NEON that lost it's clutch and was sitting in the racing line when we booted him up off the track at Thunderhill. A Neon getting rear-ended by a 77 280Z at 70mph put the Neon OUT of the race. The Z was back at it in the morning. I think repairs took a whole 45 minutes...

Advantage: Z!

Z : 1 Neon: 0

At least we took out someone before we got taken out by bigger metal...

Bigger metal, BTW, that is still out there racing! That thing won't die, dammit!

tony, sadly, neons aren't as bad as you think. very stiff chassis, used to dominate stock class at autox. my old neon is 10 years old, still running w/ 150k on the clock, reliably, in texas. it survived 2 thunderhill track days, autox, 3 dragstrip days at sacramento raceway.

and i sold it with 113k miles on the stock clutch. :)