HybridZ

Help me decide on a turbine housing

Which turbine do you think I should use with my new manifold?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which turbine do you think I should use with my new manifold?

• keep existing turbine housing and add 3" v-band adapter
    • Divided t3, .78 A/R
    • Divided t4, 1.06 A/R
    • other turbine housing, please specify in the thread

I am hoping some of you more seasoned turbo guys can help me decide on a turbine housing.

I currently have a GT35R with a .63 A/R ATP "ultimate" internal waste gate setup mounted to a ported stock turbo manifold. This is going on a Rebello built 3.0L L6 with 8.5:1 forged internals, ported head and a custom cam. Details are in my project page.

I recently purchased a custom made, divided t4 manifold with an external wastegate. I originally planned on buying a bolt-on t4>t3 ebay adapter, BUT....while I'm at it (been here before?), I might as well look into other options that might have performance advantages. This is where you come in :).

Here are the "best" options available from ATP I have come up with so far:

1) Keep my current housing and buy a block-off plate with a 3" v-band outlet.

2) Switch to a divided t3, .78 A/R turbine housing and weld or bolt on a divided t4>t3 adapter

3) Switch to a divided 1.06 A/R t4 turbine housing.

Here are some considerations:

1) This will be a street and occasional track day car

2) I don't want to keep the boost threshold at a reasonable level, i.e. full boost by 4K

3) I'm not looking for the L6 HP record but I'd like a street worthy 400+ HP machine.

I am open to other ideas and vendors. I only looked at ATP because that is who I purchased my turbo from and I know their housings will work with their turbos.

Edited by rossman
clarified text

I'd probably look for something in a divided T04 flange with an a/r around the 0.8 kind of range, I'd say the 1.06 housing would be a bit laggy. My car is a 3.1L with a 0.70 undivided T04 housing and it makes full boost (1.1 bar) at about 4400rpm. So with a ball bearing turbo and a divided manifold/housing you should easily be making it under 4000.

is the t3 .8 housing not a good middle ground? that's what I just just purchase for my L24et

It probably is a good choice. It would be nice to find a t4 .8 housing as djz suggested but I can't seem to find one online.

I have run a .7 A/R a .82 A/R and the .63 A/R turbine housing.

For the street you are better off running a .63 A/R housing hands down.

I was getting spool with the .70 and .82 housings at 3400-3500 rpm's. With the .63 I get spool at 3100-3200 rpm's. Dont worry to much about the smaller A/R as it will support up to 650Hp with a good 3" exhaust system installed.

The big problem in most cases is the external wastegate. Now that can be a problem for a stock mnaifold, but there have been a few people who have welded a good wastegate on a stock turbo manifold.

So there you have it. The divided housing in my opinion is a waste of time and effort. I would not recommend using a 1.06 A/R housing except in race applications ONLY like out on the salt flats. You go that high and your spool will be for S#it. I never even ran a 1.06 housing, totally out of my engine specifications, so if you want more then 650Hp run the bigger housing, but you will run into many more critical problems like engine cooling I can attest to that.

I have run a .7 A/R a .82 A/R and the .63 A/R turbine housing.

For the street you are better off running a .63 A/R housing hands down.

I was getting spool with the .70 and .82 housings at 3400-3500 rpm's. With the .63 I get spool at 3100-3200 rpm's. Dont worry to much about the smaller A/R as it will support up to 650Hp with a good 3" exhaust system installed.

The big problem in most cases is the external wastegate. Now that can be a problem for a stock mnaifold, but there have been a few people who have welded a good wastegate on a stock turbo manifold.

So there you have it. The divided housing in my opinion is a waste of time and effort. I would not recommend using a 1.06 A/R housing except in race applications ONLY like out on the salt flats. You go that high and your spool will be for S#it. I never even ran a 1.06 housing, totally out of my engine specifications, so if you want more then 650Hp run the bigger housing, but you will run into many more critical problems like engine cooling I can attest to that.

Hmmm decisions, decisions. :mrgreen:

I like your advice because you are making it sound like my current setup is good. That means less money to spend.:cool:

No stock manifold here, I've got a custom divided turbo header with a big a$$ wastegate. It's funny, I was planning to run an internal Ford style wastegate but I was talking with a fellow who told me how he destroyed his turbo buick due to boost spikes caused by his undersized wastegate.

I agree that a 1.06 is probably way too high, but it's offered so I threw it in the mix.