HybridZ

Mat's "Flat Black Z" Build Thread

A package will be shipped to you on 09/10/2009 via U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail to the following address:

Mat Peck

XXXX Buckingham Ter

Springdale, AR 72764

:willy_nil

I have been talking with Russ at DIYAutoTune throughout the entire process, he was very helpful and was quick to respond to my questions and to get my order filled. It is a superb site, I highly recommend it.

Now if it could just make it here by Saturday... :)

And now for this brief intermission:

[i had some fun with the Z31 on Labor Day :)]

DSC02888.jpg

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

DSC02905.jpg

Thanks to my flatmate Nate for the pictures, unfortunately he was riding with Chris so no pictures of the 260Z except for the bonnet :/

My cruising companions:

Me - 1986 300ZX Turbo, B-W T5 [mostly stock] All new clutch Hydraulics and stainless steel clutch line haha

Chris [TrumpetRhapsody] - Holset 260Z, L28ET & MSnSE [Nate [Mr Taco] was passenger]

Kevin [Thunderstruck] - 1971 Chevelle Malibu, LS1/Fast Intake LS1Edit [That's all I know] [Kim [302Stang] was passenger]

Zach [Hash] - 19XX [4th Gen] Trans Am, Fresh LS1 98 Corvette cam/LS6 intake

Everyone was complaining about their brakes but me :)

I'm really impressed with the stock Z31's performance.

Back to Flat Black - I don't know where the board is [hopefully it's at the Post Office] and I'm swamped with school and work this week and weekend, hopefully I can get some stuff done soon.

*sigh* I have aweful luck

It's an open downpipe right now, and this was taken from my roommate's still camera, hence the crappy sound.

The car ran, it needs work on the maps, but that's not the important thing. I was working on adjusting the angle for spark and bam, no fuel pump or spark. The relays are clicking. I have no idea what's going on, I'll start a discussion in the MegaSquirt forum.

What's so awful about that? Sounded pretty good to me for the first time you've (really) run the car!

First, is your timing on? I mean, you set it to 10 degrees fixed and verified that with the light? The car should idle for you on 10 degrees fixed. Once you get that dialed in by adjusting the trigger angle, set it to use the timing map (-10).

What do you have for an idle air controller? I used the stock datsun one.

To me, it sounds like you need to play with the idle a little bit. Mine did that, rev up, choke, stumble... repeat. It would come back and idle if you opened the throttle a bit, but not too much.

By the way, if you used my MSQ file, turn off the accel enrichment for now. And make sure your TPS is calibrated. For that matter make sure all of your sensors are giving reasonable values.

But yea, open the idle screw a touch, shoot for 800-1000 RPM for now. I race mine a bit around 900-950 and keep the AFRs in the 13.6 range at idle.

What's so awful about that? Sounded pretty good to me for the first time you've (really) run the car!

First, is your timing on? I mean, you set it to 10 degrees fixed and verified that with the light? The car should idle for you on 10 degrees fixed. Once you get that dialed in by adjusting the trigger angle, set it to use the timing map (-10).

What do you have for an idle air controller? I used the stock datsun one.

To me, it sounds like you need to play with the idle a little bit. Mine did that, rev up, choke, stumble... repeat. It would come back and idle if you opened the throttle a bit, but not too much.

By the way, if you used my MSQ file, turn off the accel enrichment for now. And make sure your TPS is calibrated. For that matter make sure all of your sensors are giving reasonable values.

But yea, open the idle screw a touch, shoot for 800-1000 RPM for now. I race mine a bit around 900-950 and keep the AFRs in the 13.6 range at idle.

Re-read the post, I edited it with my issues.

No idle air control, the TPS screw is open up alot to make it act like the TPS

I didn't turn the accel enrichment off, I figured that was causing issues.

Relays clicking? Are you seeing MS resets? Megatune will beep and increment the "Reset x" light in the bottom right corner. In a data log, you'll see a red line.

How did you set up your switched 12v source? Mine was a little bit weird if the battery wasn't fully charged. In fact, it still is weird, I have power supply noise and occasionally my relays dip low enough that they click off and on, causing a reset. For now you might consider running that 12-v switched source to the battery, so you can make sure you're not dropping out at the relays. Just remember to unhook it when you're done.

Relays clicking? Are you seeing MS resets? Megatune will beep and increment the "Reset x" light in the bottom right corner. In a data log, you'll see a red line.

How did you set up your switched 12v source? Mine was a little bit weird if the battery wasn't fully charged. In fact, it still is weird, I have power supply noise and occasionally my relays dip low enough that they click off and on, causing a reset. For now you might consider running that 12-v switched source to the battery, so you can make sure you're not dropping out at the relays. Just remember to unhook it when you're done.

It's hooked up to the battery for now. Tried two batteries.

And, you'll know if you're dipping into AE. Megatune lights up, and log viewer will show you when you enter AE.

Can you post a datalog? Maybe we can look at it for AE and also battery voltage, tach spikes, etc.

Chris is working on it. My laptop does something funky for some reason.

*edit* Thanks Chris

*More edits* I wanted to throw in a diagram of the ECU to Relay Board diagram for my car I just made. It took longer than it should have heh.

MS1RelayBoardDiagram.jpg

I'm *pretty* sure the car is ready to be taken off stands and the tuning process can begin.

The Relay Board's Fuel Pump Relay had broken solder points which was causing my problem. I re-soldered it tonight and now it's working perfectly.

Can't wait to get the maps tuned up and start driving her again.

The Z is back at my house!!

Still need to go back over the MS harness, it needs some tidying up.

Another video before I left the shop:

My GHETTO spacer for my Boost gauge haha I promise it's not permanent, I stuffed a shop towel in there so it wouldn't move around on the way home.

DSC02939.jpg

Find my Megasquirt switch and win a prize:

DSC02937.jpg

[My rear defogger doesn't work, so I have it running through the stock switch.]

What a week [already].

I had an "incident" that required me to order and wait on a new Stainless Steel oil line, and while looking up my part number tonight to confirm that my ebay "Mustang Cobra 30#" injectors were indeed 30 pounders, found out that they are 214cc. [bosch Part # 0280 150 931]

I have two sets of 260cc L28ET injectors sitting in the parts room.

I PM'd the mustang shop I got them from, hopefully they are upstanding individuals who care about being fair and making things right [NOT holding my breath :/]

Well, worse comes to worse I can tune on these for now, and put the 260ccs on there later. Best case scenario - I send them the 214ccs back and they send me 30 pounders.

Of all of my dealings on the internet you'd think I'd have learned by now. Moral to the story - Do your homework, kids!!

I'm hoping to get my new SS line in Thursday, and by then I want to have the engine harness wiring cleaned up and the WB O2 wired in. After I get the new line I'll take it to get the muffler put on [Hopefully Friday].

I'm off to continue my hectic week.

*Update*

Last night Chris and I soldered the harness and cleaned up all of the wires.

Today I got the LC-1 Wideband wired up, it's pretty sporadic with the open downpipe, but it's good to see my AFRs there on my lappy.

I used the VE Analyzer and the fuel map is MUCH better.

Hopefully getting the exhaust done Monday morning so I can actually start tuning properly.

Meanwhile I'm LOVING the boost and trying to keep out of the throttle until I get it tuned up right.

Mike I'll send you those maps next week after the exhaust is on, the map is already better after the WBO2 correction. Were you using that or did your Wideband not interface with MegaLog Viewer?

Hi Mat,

I did use the VE analyzer, but my wideband is an AEM and I had to adjust the equation it uses. Maybe my equation has a larger error than I realized? Or our cars are just a little bit different? My car drives pretty well, but its not perfect, especially when you really step on it - and maybe you're fixing the problem areas?

I'll compare your tuned map to mine and see how it goes...

Hi Mat,

I did use the VE analyzer, but my wideband is an AEM and I had to adjust the equation it uses. Maybe my equation has a larger error than I realized? Or our cars are just a little bit different? My car drives pretty well, but its not perfect, especially when you really step on it - and maybe you're fixing the problem areas?

I'll compare your tuned map to mine and see how it goes...

Sounds good! Thanks again for letting me use your maps. I don't want to send you any maps until I get my exhaust on because I don't know how accurate the O2 readings are right now.

I have a digital gauge for my LC-1, I'm going to try and get that wired in tonight.

*EDIT* Took some pictures tonight and weighed my car - It came in at juts under 2500 lbs with the terbeaux swap.

DSC02968.jpg?t=1254109126

DSC02974.jpg?t=1254109134

DSC02979.jpg?t=1254109140

DSC02984.jpg?t=1254109146

DSC02987.jpg?t=1254109151

DSC02988.jpg?t=1254109155

DSC02993.jpg?t=1254109227

DSC02992.jpg?t=1254109227

DSC02997.jpg?t=1254109232

UGH. More problems to iron out - The Wideband isn't working correctly anymore, and I can't go over 3400 RPM when the car is going over 60 MPH. >_O

I picked up a Volvo 760 and a Volvo 740 Intercooler last time I was in Baton Rouge, and I was waiting to get money to get some piping and couplers.

My buddy Joe called me up and told me he had some 2.25" piping, so he told me to come over. I thought we were just going to look at fitment, but he just started taking things off and cutting them up haha.

End result: I have an intercooler. Yay! I'm using the one out of the 740, the end caps fit a little better. IATs went down from 120* in boost to ~76, not ever going over 80* now.

I'm such a ricer :rolleyesg I painted it black:

DSC03001.jpg?t=1254495956

DSC03000.jpg?t=1254495955

DSC03002.jpg?t=1254495957

I'm going to be out of town this weekend and have midterms all next week, hopefully next weekend I can take it all off and paint it. I'm also going to need T Clamps on the couplers for turning up the boost later.