HybridZ

Unfortunate.

SoCal-s130

I got freaked out one night after a little freeway "tuning", I pulled into a gas station and popped the hood to tweak some things and noticed one of the rubber hoses on the fuel rail leaking...

Even though it was evaporating well before anything hit the exhaust, it still scared me enough to always keep a fire extinguisher in the car. It's not mounted anywhere convenient yet, but at least I have some peace of mind.

Really sucks to hear about that dime. :(

well if anything its a good starting point or a "clean slate" to start the build of an awesome 510. it's terrible to see a nice car like that end up a shell. i guess if it was me i would just make it better then it was before regardless. lol its only money right, they just grow it on trees and give it away these days haha. but seriously that sucks man

Battery hold downs and boxes are totally overlooked by your average joe. I put a car out that had a battery fire at an autox, the battery box was too big for his new compact little Honda battery and when he went left the battery slid inside the box and the terminal hit the metal strap in the middle which was supposed to be tight on the battery itself, preventing it from moving. I've also seen a battery fall off of the stock shelf in the engine compartment in a Z and hit the block. That was interesting. Guy comes out of a slalom and there was a loud "BOOF" noise and a bunch of smoke out from the engine compartment. I thought he grenaded the engine. Sad to see a 510 die like that..

My first Z (75 280) had the jury-rigged bungee cord battery hold downs. First time I went out and got on it a little bit, it quit. Being young and relatively new to cars, I tried to just restart it... nothing but a bunch of smoke. Next I tried to pop the hood, it suddenly weighed about 30 lbs more.

Seems that as it took one of the turns to hard, the bungees slipped and the battery bumped up and the terminals had both hit the hood and spot welded themselves to it.

The smoke was a the positive battery cable melting or maybe it was the battery... due to the horror of it all, I think I blocked most of what I saw after realizing what I had done.

Glad I can laugh (?) at it all now... I think the car hated me after that... no actually I'm sure she did...

Jay