HybridZ

Options for not turning my transmission and rear end into confetti?

PanzerAce

So in a couple of weeks I'm going to be starting my LD28(T) swap. While I don't have any idea how much torque it will put out, my current bet is "alot". So what are my transmission options for this swap? From what I understand, the Z32 trans would hold it, but it's a pain in the ass to get done, and costs a decent amount of change by the time it's done. Is there any better/easier/cheaper/whatever option out there? Or would I be better off getting a bunch of backups, and learning how to change transmissions fast?

Also, I've heard tell of a sub 3:1 R230 rear end. Does it exist, and if so, what car/SUV do I need to pillage to find it?

Thanks guys.

Don't worry. Since this is AFAIK the only current diesel swap of any kind into a Z (let alone a LD series diesel that will be turboed), I'm going to be documenting everything that I can to help anyone that wants to follow.

Would you consider the lack of LSD in the Armada R230 a deal breaker for usage of that transmission? Or (and forgive the noob question), can it be converted to LSD down the road?

I'm wondering because a 2.946 rear end would mean that I wouldn't have to try and find a trans either rebuilt or used with a super tall 5th, and instead could use basically any L series trans (if it won't grenade on me...any suggestions for the strongest L series trans?)

L-series transmissions aren't known for their burliness. Even the Borg-Warner t-5 that came on the turbo zx's aren't anything to write home about. I'm not sure what your power goals are, but drivetrain issues start around 300ft/lbs and only get worse from there. On a ~3l turbodiesel, it sounds like you're going to be driving a torque monster.

That being said, MY recommendation requires a lot of work. It involves taking a KA24/z31-non-turbo transmission, making mounts, shortening the driveshaft, and redrilling the bellhousing. From what I've heard though, that's a tranny that'll mate to an l-series (with work) and hold up to relatively serious power. No first-hand experience though.

Also, with that kind of power, you might as well use both rear wheels, so I'd go with an LSD. I assume this is a straight-line car?

It's going to be actually more of a long range cruiser car that has stupid torque on tap if it needs it. I'm not planning on doing any drags/racing with it.

Atleast not on the first engine :P

Guess I'll have to keep looking around at transmission options...

Do companies make different ratio internals for the R200s or the Z32 R230s? Or is it more of a 'once you've got a ratio, you're stuck with it' kind of deal?

You know, you could modify the car to use a Mercedes 500/560 rear end. There were a bunch of LSD's and helical LSD's (AMG) used and you could get them in 2.24 ratio and 2.65 ratio... Be some work but I'd guarantee you couldn't break it unless you were really trying.

Jag rear ends with inboard brakes are proven rear ends as well, but it's a fair amount of work to install. The r230 should be perfect.

As far as I know, the Datsun transmissions don't have any aftermarket gear options, but any CNC machine shop could make whatever ratios you want if you'll do the math on exactly what sizes you need.

You may also want to consider the 350z/370z 6spd. Again, lots of work but it's perfect for long cruises.

Has anyone done a Z33/Z34 trans swap onto the L series?

Mag58, any idea how much modding would have to be done for that? I can get MB stuff for stupid cheap from the same guy that's hooking me up with the LD, so that does have some appeal...

Looking at the diff's they seem to have four bolts on the rear housing (usually) and bolt to a plate that holds the whole affair in. I'm not 100% sure on this one, but it appears as if you could make an adapter plate to adapt it to the Z mustache bar and craft up a front mount similar to what the short nose guys use and you're golden. The front uses that silly rubber doughnut that germans have for years and they're pretty common and inexpensive to get rid of NVH, so if you could just get the end off of a drive shaft and have a shop weld it to the datto drive shaft you'd be in business there as well. The newer cars use CV's with the big 6 bolt CV flange so i'm thinking maybe an armada or Z32 CV may fit. IMO, I really don't think it would be much more of a hastle than everyone putting the short nose diff's in it.

Hate to break it to you, but you're not the first, 2 that I know of below...

http://www.veggiecar1.com/photos

Interesting, never saw either of those before.

But mine will be a turbo diesel, hence the worries ;)

It's looking more an more like a Z33 trans is the way to go, assuming the shafts match up (anyone know one way or another on that?)

If you are not doing any drag races the R200 should hold up fine. It's the halfshafts that go first if you drag race with enough power and get traction. Since you dont really need it, it's just too expensive to put an R230 or any other differential that requires custom work.

And for transmission I would recommend a Z32 5-spd. It is very strong and I know an adapter for the L-series engine has already been offered by a member here, and it's also offered by McKinney... but at a higher price.

Have you found any built LD28T engines to see what you can expect? I fear that these 80's diesels suck donkey balls (sorry for the technical jargon), and that you'll put a lot of money in one and not see very good results. A friend of mine built a mid 80s Toy 2LT engine for his 4x4 truck; ported/polished, low compression, big turbo, intercooler, etc. He was hoping to get better than 22RE levels of hp out of it, but after it's all done he doesn't think he got there. It's more driveable than a 22RE with the 35" tires he has on it, but its not a real high output engine by any stretch. Torque is definitely better than the gas engine, but he says you still have to downshift on long hills. I have another friend with a 22RET in his truck, having spent time in both I'm going to go out on a limb and say the gas turbo makes more usable power than the diesel turbo, driving at freway speeds with a 510 on a car trailer at 70 mph is pretty easy. Compare that to more utility when, uh... pulling stumps (trying to think of something the diesel Z would be better at) which he doesn't do a lot of, and it seems like the gas is the way to go. The diesel 4x4 makes sense because he is into rock crawling, but a low power medium torque diesel Z just doesn't excite me at all. As to the trucks, I think either one of them would have been better off with a V8 swap, but they're tough to do in CA.

LD28T is not a Cummins or PowerStroke or Duramax or even a TDi where you can crank the boost add propane and make 1000 ft/lbs. Having no experience with it whatsoever, I'd guess if you really went all out I'd bet you might get 170 hp and 300 ft/lbs. I don't think you need much in the way of strengthening the trans or diff for those power levels unless you're going to do drag race style starts with huge tires on the back. What's the point in doing the drag race starts when the thing is going to be slow compared to gas anyway...

Maybe there is a newer better Nissan diesel to use? Something that might be technologically better suited to making power?

The reason I'm going with the LD is that I'm getting it for free though ;)

As far as I know, nobody has built a LD28, and this one isn't even going to be 'built' per se, just boosting it and increasing the fuel pump capacity. This also means that nobody has any idea of what power it will make, and since I'm going to need a trans and taller rear end anyways, I'm figuring I might as well get something I know will stand up to what *could* happen.

Your LD will NOT break factory r200 or the half shafts*. As far as the tranny, opnly think that would worry me would be the early 5th gear.

*as long as everything is in good shape ie. not worn out.

I know it won't hurt a R200 (which is why I'm probably going to be going with the 3.36 R200), my concern is more about the transmission itself. The rear end honestly was more about finding a gear tall enough :o

I believe I've actually found a solution as well to my transmission worries, which if it pans out, I think will be a first on HBZ. I should know in three weeks at most one way or another, so I'll be sure to let you guys know. If I'm right, it'll a) bolt right up to an L series block, and B) hold a fair bit more than the stock 5spds.