HybridZ

Another Z Painted

jgautosport

Just thought Id share my progress after reading a few of you guys finishing your paint too. It was a long process for me to get to this point. The longest was getting rid of my sunroof and prepwork. Its not perfect but good enough for me. I always find it fun and motivating to see other peoples progress. Kind of keeps me going to finish this thing. Well heres the pics

My before:

l_691d123dcef59200601e905df0dc6dd3.jpg

And after:

2009-08-16%2019.41.45.jpg

2009-08-03%2012.09.54.jpg

For some reason the rest of my pics are huge. I have to resize them but heres the most current pic. Its wetsanded I still need to buff. and put my flares on (ZG)

2009-08-16%2019.39.02.jpg

Lots more pics and progress on different sections on my site

www.jgautosport.webs.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good! Any specific details regarding your wetsanding technique? I need to do that next.

This was my first time painting a car aside from primer. As far as the wetsanding, I started with 1000 grit. I used a bucket of water with a little dish soap and block sanded it till my peel was cut down, then moved to 1500 grit. I finished with 2000 grit by hand. Kinda scared to buff though, burning through. Then again I was scared to paint my own car too. :mrgreen:

Kinda scared to buff though, burning through. Then again I was scared to paint my own car too. :mrgreen:

Just keep it moving, as long as you don't stop for too long(so don't stop) It won't burn through.

Its really not that hard. I got it right the first time I tried it. lol. if you do burn a spot just go back with cutting paste and then start over.

WOW! That looks GREAT!!!

Thanks, tell you the truth my car was sitting in its body work primer stage forever, then I saw your car. It made me want to finish it. I got quotes for paint and some bodywork around 2500-5000$ area. Since Im low on funds I deceided to try it myself. I was going to go dark blue, but just like you I wanted to say it loud "with color" :flamedevi Great job on yours as well. Its a great feeling to not have fix anything for once but put back together.

where did u get yr fender mirrors?

been looking and have a set but not sure i am using them .thanks bob

Fender mirrors were on ebay. I got them for around 70ish bucks. They are all plastic and feel a little cheapy and for the money vs. finding actual JDM ones Im satisfied. They're the ones with the holes on the legs.

Might I ask what the total paint and material cost was?

The paint was about 450-500$ I went with a bb/cc, not including my guns, sandpaper, tack rags, measuring cups, repspirator, building the booth... Its the little here and there stuff that addd up. Total spend was probably 1200 dollar area.

If I were to do a colorchange in the future though it would pretty much be the cost of the paint since everything I bought came in large quantities.

Sorry one more, What gun?

No problem, I went with this kit because of the price, You get a lot of stuff with it and I purchased all my paint through them online. Its nicely made too.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=TCP+G7000

Heres a close up of my paint before wetsanding,

http://jgautosport.webs.com/2009-08-03%2002.01.57.jpg

http://jgautosport.webs.com/2009-08-03%2012.10.57.jpg