HybridZ

Fuel vent line

luvmy280zxt

I was thinking that but then I thought well wouldnt the vacuum suck fuel through that hose or worse create to much Vac pressure in Tank and crush it? no idea... but I just left it with the rubber line kinda beside the coolant bottle pointing downwards so no crap gets in

Well Im just cleaning up the bay a little by little. I finally received all of my I/C set up stuff and i want as much room as possible so the install will not be a pain in the a$$. Plus Since I've gotten rid of most of my emission stuff it feels like I freed up some hp. The car seems to run a little stronger. I also just installed my manual boost control. Amazing how much of a difference the car pulls at 10 psi of boost. I'm very impressed!! As for the fuel vent line, I bought a gun cleaning kit and took the metal reamer out of it and cut it down and inserted it into a 1 inch long piece of rubber tubeing to make a small filter to put over the line. It seems to be working quiet well. Ill just pull it out once a month to clean it up.

• 2 months later...

There is a Fuel Vent/Vapor Check Valve between the Fuel Tank and the Carbon Canister. Yours may have been removed. This check valve controls the Fuel Tank Pressure (pressure in the tank). If you have a check valve it may be a two or three prone configuration. Later 280ZX cars seem to have the two prong (in out only).

280zx_InLineCheckValve2_thumb.jpg

19005_thumb.attach

19006_thumb.attach

• 1 month later...

I realize that there are a few people who advocate removal od the air purge setup on the cars.

The 280zx car really should have the system in place and working. The purge canister not only removes the raw fuel smell, but more importantly it pressurizes the fuel tank. Not such a big deal, except for the fact that the zx system has a gravity feed to the inlet of the fuel pump. The positive pressure helps to force the fuel into the fuel line and puts a slight pressure on the pump inlet. The system aides the pump fuel delivery along with the emissions stuff.

My recommendation is to keep the system and work around its location with your intercooler setup.

The delivery may work good or it may not, but you will never know unless you have the ability to monitor the pump output, not just the fuel pressure, but also the air that could be pumped along with the fuel, that is bad, you will never be able to tune the car and it will not run consistantly if that happens.

I am all for pressurizing the fuel tank, removing the slight emissions the system provides. Run -4 steel braided lines to and from the tank and it will look really good. I did this upgrade on my car and have never had to mess with it again.

While searching for the cause of excessive fuel tank pressure, I was able to get rid of "all" pressure in my 1982 280zx non-turbo. One hot Vegas day I was at wide-open-throttle (WOT), and had a total "flame-out." The car apparently lost fuel to the injectors and died.

Eventually, I found that the problem with excessive fuel pressure was an in-line non-functional fuel-check-valve. I replaced the fuel check valve, put everything back to stock configuration, and had no more flame-outs.