HybridZ

Uhhh, I'm thinking about switching back to a datsun engine

FiveSeventyZee

Okay so heres the deal. I bought a '72 240z with a chevy small block. I've been trying to get it going and I've been going to the v8 z forum on here but with only limited success. Part of me wants to go back to an l24 or maybe an l28. I know this is a very vague question but how much trouble would that be for me? And about how much might that cost me/would sticking it out with the v8 be more worth it?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

All about preference. I can see this quickly become a which is better thread, but when it boils down to it, it's all about what you know best and what you're most comfortable with. Getting the mounts back should be super easy provided they didn't hack up the tranny tunnel and even then the T5 would require a modified trans mount anyways (if you wanna go that route).

I really like my L6 and with a light turbo it should give you comparable performace to a SBC. I just wouldn't go back to an L24, just because L28's are so plentiful relatively that it'd probably end up the same price.

Past that it's preference. You can get a 4 barrel, EFI, Side-drafts on either motor so at this point just go with what you feel most comfortable with.

How much work it would take to go back to a Datsun/Nissan engine would depend entirely on how the SBC was installed. I've seen conversions (not just in the Z) in everyway from hacked, with literally glue and gum holding them in to pristine conversions that kept the integrity and much of the original chassis intact.

Might be worth it to throw some pictures up of the conversion, and some of the mounts, chassis, etc. Would help determine how much work it might take to go back.

What kinds of problems are you having with the SBC? You might end up with the same problems with the new engine if it isn't an engine specific problem.

OK 570Z -- Chevy V8's are fairly straight forward engines ..

1. Are you getting fuel to the carb ? -- crank and if it pumps out -- the answer is yes -- if not, you have a blocked, kinked line somewhere

2. Are you getting spark -- on a dry engine (not after test #1) take off plug wire # 1 and see if you can get a spark to jump when cranking

3. double check the firing order - it's clockwise -- 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 -- make sure you know which post is #1

4. Make sure the engine is a TDC

5. Before you insert the distributor -- take a very long wide blade screw driver and make sure the notch in the oil pump shaft is lined up with

the # 5 intake rocker--

6. then insert the distributor with the rotor blade pointing toward # 1 cylinder -- if the distributor DOES NOT go in easily or with just a slight turn one way or the other, start over at step #4

The engine should start and allow you to set the timing

If the engine fires but runs so raggedy that you cannot get it to idle enough to set the timing, double check the carb -- I don't remember what carb you have but an Edelbrock is fairly easy to adjust. See their web site for a good video

Lastly, there are a bunch of Hybrid Z folks in the Bay area (I'm one) who will be more than happy to try and get you running. Keep in touch

Scarab 155

Keep the V8!!

Sounds like you are just frustrated, step back and analyze this for a minute. It is always better to get another V8 like the one that is in your car before trying to swap in a totally different engine/tranny/wiring/etc... to fix a problem like your are having. I understand how you feel, been there myself and it is easy to panic.

Follow Scarab's advice....you should be able to get her running by following some simple methodical steps. Don't forget you have help, just get in touch with one of your local HBZ bretheren and they will help you out. :)

But! If you do decide you need a new motor, just get another V8. :mrgreen:

My 2 pennies

Don't even think about swapping until you diagnose and fix what you have. Swapping isn't going to get you any closer to running if you can't figure out the V8.

Get help if you need, post up questions, or hire someone to figure it out... even that will be cheaper than swapping the engine back.

I'm with Phlebmaster.

Besides, it's not really going to be about the engine itself. The mechanical swappage is the most accessible and interesting part, and that's what you end up thinking of when all is said and done, but before you get there...

Wiring.

For that one and only reason, I would avoid swapping it back. *Especially* if you weren't the one that did the swap in the first place. God only knows how the previous owner thought, or how they decided to go about doing certain things, or why they did it the way they did. Swapping back all the wiring and electrical is never fun, no matter what the vehicle is.

And it's true what everybody's been saying. I'm sure there are plenty of HybridZ members who are bored on weekends or stuck on their own weird projects, and would be happy to go hit their heads against someone else's car for a change. Ask and you shall receive, right?