HybridZ

bumper confusion ... please help

I know this topic has a million threads ... I have read alot of them. However some threads seem to contradict the other. Please if you know the answer ... respond.

I have a late 260Z and need both bumpers. I want it too look as close to stock as possible, however finding the original 260z bumpers seems difficult. I have been told that the 1975 and 76 280z have the same bumper as the late 260z and bolt right up ... is this fact or fiction?

I understand there being a lot of confusion. It depends a lot on your 260z. most 260's came with the thin 240z ish bumpers. but some late late 260's had the 75' 280z thicker bumpers on it. It's really what kind it had. So look at your VIN and see if yours is an early or late. the easiest way to tell is if your Z has those shock absorber bumper mounts. if it does then you can use the 75'76' 280z bumpers, if not, and you just have brackets or nothing at all, then likely you can use 70'-74' 240/260z bumpers.

The Thing to remember about these cars is it doesn't matter what you put on them it's what YOU like, so if you like the thin ones use those, if you want thick heavy bumpers use those. you can work out how to mount them later. Same for wheels or engines or giant wings, if YOU like it, go for it, it's your car. Now if you're fixing for a concours show, then you've got a lot more work to do...

Phar

Thanks for the info! My car is a 1974 with the shock bumpers ... big and ugly. However I would like the car to be as original as possible. It only has 54K miles, automatic, factory AC, and never hit or painted It is just that the bumpers are market up and cracked and really need o be changed. It is my opinion (being a car collector) that the 260Z will be a great investment car due to the 1 year production in the US ... add to that the rare options and metal flake gold color ... ... hence the relucatancy to change/modify.

the easiest way to tell is if your Z has those shock absorber bumper mounts. if it does then you can use the 75'76' 280z bumpers, if not, and you just have brackets or nothing at all, then likely you can use 70'-74' 240/260z bumpers.

Hey Phar, you are a bit off on this one.

I scavenged an early 260Z bumper from a car in a junkyard, and those have bumper shocks with two bolt holes like the 280Zs, just shorter.

[Maybe the same length as the zenki 280s, but I don't have any experience with 75 or 76s.]

interesting ... does that mean that the early 260z bumpers will bolt right up to both the later 260Z ... how did that work out for you?

It means that the Early 260Z bumpers will bolt right up to the 260Z AND 280Z cars.

It worked great but my bumper bar is bent on the left side so I took it off about a year ago.

The brackets are the three bolt brackets just like the 280Z bumpers, just smaller [or shorter] than the late 280Z ones.

Guest Rolling Parts
T...It only has 54K miles, automatic, factory AC, and never hit or painted It is just that the bumpers are market up and cracked and really need o be changed. It is my opinion (being a car collector) that the 260Z will be a great investment car due to the 1 year production in the US ... add to that the rare options and metal flake gold color ... ... hence the relucatancy to change/modify.

Well,

FINDING mint early 280Z bumpers might be a challenge and quite expensive. It might be best to refurbish the hardware you have than paying for (and then shipping) a pair of heavy bumpers. The chances of finding better bumpers in a junk yard after 35 years of exposure is slim to none.

As far as a "great investment", the late 260Z with heavy bumpers and quirky flat top carburetors is probably one of the least prized first gen Z cars. If YOU like it, keep it. I'll never sell my Z cars at any prices so the idea of "investment" is a bit foreign to me, LOL.

RSKDSK-

Don't know if you ever got all the info you were looking for, but I've got a late '74 260Z as well (produced Sep 1974). It came with the large bumpers (see attached pix), which I have since removed. Not only do I prefer the cleaner look w/o the bumpers, I reduced the cars weight by over 100 lbs.

As Rolling Parts suggested, if you're really intent on going with the original (large) bumpers, you should look hard at refurbing your current bumpers. It's amazing what a difference you can make with some sandpaper, paint, and universal rubber bumper trim.

Good luck and be sure to post your final results!

r/jhm

IMG_2542_thumb.jpg

IMG_2543_thumb.jpg

IMG_2544_thumb.jpg

IMG_2545_thumb.jpg

16570_thumb.attach

All,

Thanks for the clarification! As for my current bumper, trust me when I say there is no saving them (at least not the front). I am planning on purchasing a set of early 260z bumpers as well as the early 280z bumpers ... and trying them both out. As for the no bumper look ... I like ... but I am after originality.

As for the "least desirable Z" ... with the quircky carbs and big bumper .... mark my words, those unique things will help it surpast the 240z as an investment later ... I have done this before!

Guest Rolling Parts
As for the "least desirable Z" ... with the quircky carbs and big bumper .... mark my words, those unique things will help it surpast the 240z as an investment later ... I have done this before!

Duly noted.

Though I'm not sure how you can say that it will surpass a Series 1 240Z.

And as far as "investments" the Z has never appreciated. Ever. Never.

A 1974 260Z purchased for $4,800 should sell today for $21,000 just to BREAK EVEN.

What events do you foresee that will push a 1974.5 260Z to be that desirable? I'm not an investor so I'm curious.

Good question

Of course the limited production and unique attributes will help, but you must look at the social/environmental/economical aspects of the collector car industry (both past and present) as well as the physical uniqueness.

For example ... The late mid to late 60's were the high point (social) of the muscle car era ... before the regulatory (emmisions) and the economical (fuel). The "kids" at that time ... dreamed of owning one of those cars. Of course, life happens, kids are born, bills need to be paid ... so those "kids" did not have the disposable cash. Then/when ... as those "kids" become empty nesters ... or get to the point in their lives that they have disposable income ... the dreams start to come true. The market comes alive and the unique, rare cars become the most sought after.

My prediction ... the next generation of "kids" who had dreamed of owning the 240/260z when they were new ... will/are coming of age. Of course the current economic downturn has impacted the entire market ... it will not last forever.

Now think for a minute ... what early-mid 70's cars stand out in your mind as game changers in the auto industry ...

Which cars started the japenese invasion into the sports car market ... while surviving the economic times

Which cars had the lines/style that is timeless

I have many other reasons ... but I would be writting a book ... lets avoid that!

Hey Phar, you are a bit off on this one.

I scavenged an early 260Z bumper from a car in a junkyard, and those have bumper shocks with two bolt holes like the 280Zs, just shorter.

[Maybe the same length as the zenki 280s, but I don't have any experience with 75 or 76s.]

Hmm Wait so are you saying that the early 260Z's w/ the thin bumpers use shocks to mount like the 280z?? I though they mounted just like the 240z w/ brackets.

I know the later 260Z's used the shocks like the 280Z, but only with the fat bumpers..

Perhaps I should be trying to source some 260z bumper shocks to mount my 240z bumpers on my 280z.. interresting...

Thanks

Phar

I think that either bumper on a 260 would be seen as authentic (or 'correct' if you prefer that word). The nice thing about the zed community is that they (we?) are not fanatic about those details: the fact that the 260 came with the earlier bumpers would be good enough and most if not all of us would consider the car 'stock' with those bumpers, regardless of which bumpers it actually carried from the factory.

Mine is an early 260 (1/74) and (thankfully) it has the earlier smaller bumpers. I am in the midst of rebuilding them, as they were a bit beat up, and will post a thread about my rebuild in the appropriate section once I have made more progress. Here is a pic of the 'before', on the car. Not a great picture but hopefully the ones to follow will be more helpful.

z at home finally_thumb.jpg

All

I got the early 260z bumpers today ... and although they may bolt up to the later 260z .... they look like sh$t because they stick out way too far from the car. I am assuming that the early 260z shocks must have been shorter than the later 260z

When I get around to posting my bumper rebuild thread I will try to remember to measure the lengths of the shock mounts and include the info for my 260 brothers and sisters :)

All

I got the early 260z bumpers today ... and although they may bolt up to the later 260z .... they look like sh$t because they stick out way too far from the car. I am assuming that the early 260z shocks must have been shorter than the later 260z

What... You guys don't remember 1974??? "5 MPH" bumpers were required on all US cars... For some that meant putting big-ass rubber blocks on the stock bumper - like my TR-6 (that was fugly!). For most it meant some kind of "shock absorbing" bumper like Nissan used. It also meant pushing the bumpers out away from the body because the bumper had to take the impact without any damage to the rest of the car - that was the rule...

Anyway, My early 260 had mounts and "pushed out" bumpers just like what "langford" showed. BUT, it looks like the body has all the right mounting points for the earlier 240 series bumpers as well.

I've seen a "late" 260 and it's original bumpers look fairly identical to my son's 76 280Z. His bumper mounts were even bigger than mine (at least the flange on the end of the piston that the bumper bolts to is much larger... And, ya, his bumpers were huge...) The body of his car has no mounting points for the 240 bumpers.

If you want a "tight" bumper, you'll have to go aero-kit, custom built, or pre-1974...

OK I finaly got around to TRYING to install the bumper .... no go! The early 74 bumpers do NOT bolt right up to later 74 bumper shocks. The early 74's mounting brackets seem to be parallel with the groud while the later 74 mounting brackets (on the end of the shocks) seem to be at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

The fix ... I remove the bumper shocks, went to home depo and bought alunimun stock flat bar (about 2" wide by 1/4 thick), shaped the bar, drill the right holes, and created mounting brakets that bolt right up to the holes left by the shock removal. I also removed the black rubber trim on the bumper and used one of the holes uncovered (drilled slightly larger) to mount the bumper to the same holes used for the big ugly bumpers in the front quarters. The result is a stong tight fitting bumper. I will need to do some adjustments to make it perfect ... but so far ... I like it!