HybridZ

Beginner 240z 2jz

PA240

So let me start by introducing myself. My name is Neil and im a collage student from Pennsylvania. This is the first project I have ever attempted like this. I was looking for a project car for my father and I to work on and the 240z fit the bill perfect. The old man wanted to do an old Camero or Mustang but me being cooler than that wanted to do something JDM. I came across the 240 when looking for old school jdm cars. My dad liked the fact that it was old and thus easer to work on. He also liked the rear wheel drive and sexy Americanish lines. After a few months of looking for the right car we finally found a winner. It was a 72’ 240z.

This is the car on the day we picked it up

0620091136.jpg?t=1251772684

Everything looked good and we thought we had a "rust free" car.

After a few weeks driving it around town it was time to get to work

DSCF0151-1.jpg?t=1251773056

0714092122.jpg?t=1251773086

We wont be needing that

0718091333.jpg?t=1251773127

The bay after the motor was pulled

0718091356.jpg?t=1251773159

It was dirty

DSC_0072.jpg?t=1251773210

IMG_1165.jpg?t=1251773247

DSC_0071.jpg?t=1251774527

Some rust

DSC_0077.jpg?t=1251774572

Some more

IMG_1159.jpg?t=1251774608

IMG_1206.jpg?t=1251774670

IMG_1207.jpg?t=1251774692

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg?t=1251774757

more rust

IMG_1253.jpg?t=1251774783

The car as it sits now

IMG_1260-1.jpg?t=1251775066

Im gona start needing help.

thanks in advance

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goals for now are to make around 350hp of reliable street power. This wont be a dally driver but it will be driven often. The budget is about 10 grand but we all know how that goes. As for welding skills I have some and my best friend is going to school to be a welder so I got that covered. I’m planning on using the beta motorsports 2nd cross member and fabing my own trans crossmember. I’m also planning on a set of bad dog frame rails. Trying to find a motor has been causing some problems. I’m nervous about just ordering a motor online without any idea about its history. Has anyone tried any of these sites?

An online motor can be a good deal and bad I got a Aristo 2JZ for cheap off of E-Bay I was a little worried at first. I tore the motor down and rebuilt it. So far I have about 700 for the lower end with all stock replacement parts and ARP studs. The head is another story as it is being built whenever I get around to starting my project again. If you plan on just putting the motor in the car I would look around and find one that you can look at and get all the paperwork on. If you can't find one make sure you get a place that will give you all the results to there testing. Depending on your goals with the car as well if your seriously not going to be pushing over 500HP I dont think it is a great choice to go for the 2JZ unless you want to be able to say you have a 2JZ. Look around at the 1JZ swaps it will reach your power goals and be a lot cheaper to get there. A USDM 6Speed swap will cost around 5,000. I am not one to talk someone out of something but I know I am already into my car a lot more than I ever planned. Just watch out for the "while I'm at it" Bug It will bite you.

My goals for now are to make around 350hp of reliable street power. This wont be a dally driver but it will be driven often. The budget is about 10 grand but we all know how that goes. As for welding skills I have some and my best friend is going to school to be a welder so I got that covered. I’m planning on using the beta motorsports 2nd cross member and fabing my own trans crossmember. I’m also planning on a set of bad dog frame rails. Trying to find a motor has been causing some problems. I’m nervous about just ordering a motor online without any idea about its history. Has anyone tried any of these sites?

10g's should be good...I know for sure a 1jzgte swap is about $3,500 or less and thats swapped in and running, if you do the work your self....but what happens is when you want add more, like single set ups, cams..etc. As for finding a good motor..try diftmotion.com those guys are awesome and will help with any questions you have!!

You'll have to pull 2 spark plugs to make 350 hp LOL...

Anyway, the Beta Motorsports cradle is a nice piece... What tranny do you intend to run and where in PA are you, as I have recently relocated to the PA/MD border, south of Gettysburg...

Regards,

Mike

What tranny do you intend to run and where in PA are you
I'm planing on swapping the motor in with an auto trans. I think it has less of a chance of being beat this way. I'm in Lansdale pa its about 45min outside of Philly.

I was home for the weekend so small update.

I made some more holes to weld up and of course found some more rust.

DSCF0549.jpg?t=1252290467DSCF0548.jpg?t=1252290492

• 1 month later...

I got my motor off a company that was on ebay..but they had a PHONE number so i called it in!!!! search and search and only by from a phone number...i got mine from some canadian company but just talking on the phone with someone you get a feel for what they know/dont know bout the motor they are selling you.

I got my motor off a company that was on ebay..but they had a PHONE number so i called it in!!!! search and search and only by from a phone number...i got mine from some canadian company but just talking on the phone with someone you get a feel for what they know/dont know bout the motor they are selling you.

My roommate picked up a N/A 2JZ out of a ES300 from a junkyard in Dallas for $450, and just bought turbo pistons and conrods. Just an idea, but you can find them anywhere.

Thats pretty low rust, especially for an east coast car. I would complain to much!

Gritz, you are funny, don't swap a 240z because there are not many of them? But it is ok to swap a 260? Lol aren't there less of those?!

lol..Well 240z's are worth more than 260's...