HybridZ

John Force cheats???

deja

Interesting discussion on this one. How do you guys feel about walking a batter? Or, maybe you just hit the batter with the ball and give him a base? The latter makes for better TV when the batter rushes the mound and the dugouts clear out to join the insanity.

I don't really have a point, just thinking out loud.

So what about losing is unsportsmanlike? Not saying I like it but losing isn't really cheating is it?

Cheating is basically intent and there are three judges on that intent: You're own, your competitors, and the sanctioning body.

I'm a national level scrutineer for SCCA road racing and we catch people all the time not meeting the rules. The vast majority of these folks are not cheaters, they've made a mistake. Last weekend at the double regional at Buttonwillow there were two perfect examples of cheating and just making a mistake.

After the qualifying session for the open wheel cars one of the Formula Mazda's came across the scales 11 lbs. underweight. The driver and crew chief both admitted that they made a mistake and under fueled the car for the session and accepted their grid position at the back of the field with grace. No one in Tech thought these guys were cheaters, they just made a mistake.

A Formula Ford driver had 6 water bottles in his lap as he came up to the scales and was chugging down the 7th as fast as he could. I asked him to hand me the water bottles in his lap and he said no, he was overheated and needed to cool down. His wife and crew chief both agreed and said he was in danger of heat stroke. I said I'll radio for the ambulance. All three said, "No." I then asked again for the water bottles and they handed them over. That car scaled in 8 lbs. underweight. At that point their arguments began - "Unfair", "He's the fastest anyway and should start up front", "Its just a regional race so why are the car being weighed", "Your scales are wrong", "Its only 8 lbs." Those folks were cheaters.

Edited by johnc

A Formula Ford driver had 6 water bottles in his lap as he came up to the scales and was chugging down the 7th as fast as he could. I asked him to hand me the water bottles in his lap and he said no, he was overheated and needed to cool down. His wife and crew chief both agreed and said he was in danger of heat stroke. I said I'll radio for the ambulance. All three said, "No." I then asked again for the water bottles and they handed them over. That car scaled in 8 lbs. underweight. At that point their arguments began - "Unfair", "He's the fastest anyway and should start up front", "Its just a regional race so why are the car being weighed", "Your scales are wrong", "Its only 8 lbs." Those folks were cheaters.

A gallon of water weighs 8.35 lbs.

John, I have evn heard of people dumping the water right down their suit before they hit the scales. :shock:

When I wrestled in High School before a meet we would cut arm and neck holes in trash bags and run in them for a couple miles and not eat for a day or two to cut weight before the weigh in. Then as soon as we made weight it was a mad rush to the nearest fast food joint to load up again. I think if your car makes weight when you cross the scales, where the weight is shouldn't matter. Like stated before "he who cheats best wins". In John's case it was all about the sponsors and his company. If you don't think he knew it was wrong, take another look at the video. Who out there with there own business wouldn't take a personal fall (though it might be embarrassing) to further there company, and in a racer's stand point, please the sponsors? He know's who pays the bills.

He is an interesting point, how do you compete when surrounded by cheaters.

There are many things I've quit, due to cheaters.

When it is corrupt from top to bottom, the toll on personal integrity is daunting.

The beehive thing would be a good idea, but alas, having been pounded in Catholic schools and parents that "your both at fault no matter who started it" did take it's toll.

No busting on Catholics, just needed that for frame of reference. OK?!