HybridZ

New weatherstrip alternative

malus_rex

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have ordered 25 feet of part number 1120A33 from McMaster-Carr. This was the part number that was suggested to us back a couple of months ago.

The description of the item is as follows:

Push-On Edge-Trim Rubber Seal Bulb Opposite Grabber, 3/16" Edge, 5/8" Bulb Width

It was about $33 shipped. Install was a little time consuming as the edge grip is tight and a little small, but i am satisfied 100%

29p5kyb.jpg

I just ordered 25 feet of part number 1120A33 from McMaster-Carr. I'll let everyone know how it fits...I'm hoping since most people that have tried it have had good experiences, I will be able to say the same.

Just received the weatherstripping today, came to my door for $48 total. Great fit, and my doors now close without slamming. I would strongly recommend this to anyone too lazy to go to a junkyard on a wild goose chase.

Hey t-bone028 where did you match up the 2 ends on the weatherstripping when you installed it on your door? I plan on ordering the same tomorrow but just want to know how to install it the best. Was it able to make the 90 degree angle a then meet in the middle of the bottom of the door?

Galloguy05, I ended up having the Mcmaster-Carr weatherstripping ends meet at the bottom of the door, directly in the center. As far as the 90 degree bend, I test fitted everything before I finally cut to the correct length. Its not the smoothest 90 degree bend (the actual rubber tubing gets a little pinched in that area due to the bend) but it looks like it worked well enough. I shined a flashlight at the corner and couldnt see any light coming through. It looks like it will seal out water correctly.

The gripping edge where it pinches to the seams was a little loose in some spots. However, near the top of the door where the headliner tucks in, it was nice and tight and took a little bit of pushing to make sure it seated correctly. On the areas where it was loose (side of the door, bottom of the door)I just layered a little electrical tape to thicken the edge so it would be a nice snug fit (ghetto, I know).

I'm very happy with it. My car is a weekend car and does not see any rain. The only time I need to worry about water would be when I wash my car, but any leaking (if any) will be quickly cleaned up. I only bought new weatherstripping because my old one was too thick and was the culprit for my slamming door issue. I can now close my door with regular force and not be scared of shattering the window.

Tbone-028, thanks for the reply. I ordered the weatherstrippig on saturday. It SAID that it should ship today but they have yet to take the payment out or give me a shipping confirmation so we shal see. Thanks though and when/if I recieved it I will see how it holds up against rain since that's the reason I am replacing mine. Actually my car has no door weatherstripping at all so my floors were like fish bowls when it rained so this will be an upgrade for me no matter what.

I officially stand corrected about my comment about Mcmaster-Carrs shipping. The package arrived today after having ordered it on saturday. They took the funds out this morning as well. I was a bit more than I had planned but thats because I also ordered the sound deadening material from them to see how it works. It was substantially heavier than I thought so that explains why the shipping was more than expected. VERY fast shipping though and I am very pleased. I will update everyone on how well my purchases work.

Well I installed the Mcmaster-Carr weatherstripping today. As was stated earlier, I ordered 25 feet of it. It did not work as well ad i had hoped. First after installing the stripping, I noticed that I now have to slam the doors to get them to close all the way. This cause my latching mechanism on the passenger side to break. So after running to pick n pull and getting super lucky and finding a 76 in the yard (where i got a passenger side latch and managed to score the carpet scuff plates I have been looking for) I come back to test the seals. I only tested the drivers side since the passenger side is not fixed yet.

I turned the hose on and put it on the roof, assuming that its raining straight down I guess. The seals work perfect down towards the bottom of the door where I had problems before. Now, however, I have a problem with it leaking at the top of the window. If I press on the window to make it closer to the seal then it does not leak but as soon as I release it, it begins to leak again. I will try to modify it so that it sits closer to the window, but Im not sure if it is going to work.

Any of you guys have an idea of how I can fix this?

P.S sorry I do not have any pics for reference. It seems as if my camera chose today as the day it would die as well.

So its leaking at the top of the window? Do you mean near the 90 degree bend or just anywhere near the top of the window? Perhaps you can use something like a rubber weatherstrip tape to help thicken the edge that isn't sealing correctly. It might turn out pretty ugly, but then again, it might work for you and you can make it look half-way decent.

http://www.amazon.com/Cheftin-Weatherstripping-Tape-Various-Sizes/dp/B000GKAZ5Y

And its strange how things work, you now have to slam your doors with the McMaster Carr weatherstripping. After I replaced mine, I DONT have to slam my doors anymore. The joys of a +35 year old car.

Edited by T-Bone028