HybridZ

New weatherstrip alternative

malus_rex

• 1 month later...

I used brand new Kia door weatherstripping. Even after tweaking the angle of the window door frames, there is a nice gap on the passenger side at the top part, and a slight gap on the driver's side. I saw someone's suggestion to use the HomeDepot's door stick-on weatherstripping to add that additional thickness to close those gaps. It would look ugly as heck, but functional. I'd rather not go that direction.

well I just tried the MSA weatherstrip kit and the precision door seals it came with still suck. I bought the kit in 2011 after they finally started selling them again. Its a 1975 280Z and the doors wont shut correctly. The seals are still being made too thick. The inner hatch seal also causes the decklid to bulge slightly when shut...ugh. <_<

I have done research about S30 weatherstriping for some time now and everything points to vintage rubber having the best kit. At $1300 for the entire kit I would certainly hope so. Most kits have some rubber that fits well but other pieces either are too thick or not thick enough. People complain about leaks and fumes in the car. I will soon find out since I have gone ahead and ordered the kit. I will post the results once I get bit fitted on the car.

• 1 month later...

I have done research about S30 weatherstriping for some time now and everything points to vintage rubber having the best kit. At $1300 for the entire kit I would certainly hope so. Most kits have some rubber that fits well but other pieces either are too thick or not thick enough. People complain about leaks and fumes in the car. I will soon find out since I have gone ahead and ordered the kit. I will post the results once I get bit fitted on the car.

http://www.vintagerubber.com/datsun240zbasicsealkit-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

What's this hatch seal type..

Early - 3-Piece

Later – One Piece (+ $15.00)

Mine is a 76, so I'd be inclined to say early, but really, what's the difference here? Would the one piece work on mine?

http://www.vintagerubber.com/datsun240zbasicsealkit-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

What's this hatch seal type..

Early - 3-Piece

Later – One Piece (+ $15.00)

Mine is a 76, so I'd be inclined to say early, but really, what's the difference here? Would the one piece work on mine?

I would call vintage rubber. Apparently there is a difference depending on production date. They asked me all that information when I ordered mine

How many feet of that McMaster-Carr weatherstrip did you guys order?

25' was more than enough to do the doors. I need to grab some more to replace the old worn internal hatch stripping as well though - the old stuff doesnt leak, it just looks bad.

btw, any pics of your car on here? see youre in gville, will have to keep an eye out for ya

Edited by ryan95i4

• 4 weeks later...

I found the Kia seals in the JY and installed them. They do fit really well. Although I went to a touchless car wash and when the jets were shooting at my doors.. both sides at the top middle were leaking water. Granted these jets are shooting out at super sonic PSI lol.. but I wanted to know if anyone else had this issue with the Kia seals? Does anyone know where to find the small seal on the top of the door frame? Mine is not there and might be the cause of the leakage. I do have a spare set of the Kia seals if anyone is interested!

I'd be interested in those Kia seals if they're still available. I have a 2+2 280