HybridZ

Making a shroud for twin electric fans.

Derek

I was really hoping that a Taurus fan would work on my L6 but the general consensus was that it would require a bunch of cutting to fit. I scrapped that idea and decided to make a shroud to hold 2 of the el cheapo 12" fans on ebay. Zmanco and a few others on the board have been running them with out any problems. There really isn't a ton of room to work with. I have a motorsports 3 core radiator. The shroud is about 1/2" thick

I routed out .063" sheet pre drilling for the fans and mounting tabs. I had to do the tabs seperatly because the "Z" dimension was too small for my brake.

DSC_0009.jpg

It's times like these that I wish I had a water jet machine!

DSC_0010.jpg

After brake work

DSC_0011.jpg

I was going to TIG up the corners but I got a really good seam so I went with it.

DSC_0013.jpg

Cutting the side brackets in the mill

DSC_0014.jpg

I switched the connectors over to weatherpacks.

DSC_0020.jpg

Everything fits great. This is the last of the electrical stuff I'm adding so I can finally redo the wiring.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

I have them controled with megasquirt. It's 90 degrees out right now and the car sat and idled at 180. That's cooler than it would have with the stock fan. The fans are surprisingly quiet.

Thanks for looking

Derek

Funny you should ask. When I'm building stuff I'm always thinking can I sell a few. I went to MSA yesterday to look at radiator stuff and what did I see...

BAM http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/16-7054

So for 250.00 with the fans I don't think I could sell them any cheaper.

Had I known they existed I probably would have bought one!

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Derek, as always your work is fantastic. I've got the same fans as you I think but mounted without a shroud. So far they've been adequate in hot summer traffic, but after the turbo conversion they are just barely adequate. In stop/go summer traffic they're on more than off, although in fairness temps never go above 200.

I've always thought that a shroud would improve low speed cooling a lot. But I've also wondered about track running. It seems to me that the shroud would restrict airflow at higher speeds, although I don't know if the restriction would be significant, or too small to matter. I know we're heading into winter, but have you had a chance to gauge if/how this impacts airflow "at speed", especially with extended periods of running WOT on warm days?

the Zstore fan kit (which looks awesome btw) says 240z only blah blah. What is the real difference? I actually put the 280zx radiator in mine, which bolted right up.

The guy on ebay selling "champion" radiators says the same thing. 70-73 240z 2.4 2.6l.

Derek, make me a set and I will buy it now :P