HybridZ

How safe are your wheels?

EvilC

I saw on the net, (don't ask me where, just random car related trawling) a nifty wheel alarm. a set of 4 sensors that mount to the non rotating part of the wheel hubs and 4 RFID microchips like your pet can be fitted with, moulded into fake lead stick on balancing weights.

They way it looked to work was the sensors wre mounted to the wheel hubs, on the brakes backing plate or similar, and the fake weight was stuck to the wheel, the sensors bounce a RF query at set intervals and that makes the chip respond. Just like when a vet runs a scanner over a stray cat to read off the owners detains off the chip. If the wheel is removed and the sensor gets no return due tothe chip being too far from the sensor to respond, the alarm triggers.

Take one wheel off and the alarm starts screaming. how many gangs have 4 guys simultaniously working on a corner each, and a getaway driver waiting nearby? One or two guys might get scared off if they get a couple of wheels off and the alarm screams as they work on the other wheels.

I'm personally a fan of tri-wing fasteners all the stuff on my car that you can easily get to. Unless you're an aircraft mechanic, odds are they don't have the bit that fits it. I just have regular lug nuts on my car, but they're stock, so I'm not too worried about it ;)

how safe are my wheels?lets see-i bought them from pick &pull and beed blasted them and painted the centers black.then mounted kumho v700s and use them for track days.my thinking is that i will destroy an expensive wheel-i wont cry over pick&pull parts.about the young stud with the gtr-if you can afford an 80k car you can afford a beater to leave out in front of the gf's house.maybe he had some of his buddies do it so he could get the insurence money for some pimp daddy wheels.the first gtr with 24"s