HybridZ

L28ET Timing

jacob80

Hey guys,

It seems like we've been having a lot of trouble with timing and not getting the advance we want yada yada yada but in this thread, I am going to try and make an attempt to confirm and re-confirm (if that is a word) that my timing is right. First things first, let start with some hard evidence. These photos are taken with the engine at TDC.

First off, let start with the pulley. It is a performance products pulley for I assume a 240z. I assume this because of the multiple tick marks on the pulley, but I only use the bottom-most one (shown in the picture) due to the fact that there are timing marks on the front cover as shown. Oh and the wire is at 5 BTDC for reference for megasquirt cranking calibration.

102_7716.jpg

The next picture is of the distributor shaft. I have aligned this in the position that is commonly shown in the field service manuals and online. Just trying to confirm everything is right. If may be too far clockwise

102_7717.jpg

Here is the cam front lobe at 2 o clock (if you're looking from the front of the engine

102_7715.jpg

10 o clock

102_7714.jpg

Here is the distributor housing (or whatever its called that my finger is on) turned all the way counterclockwise

102_7720.jpg

All the way clockwise

102_7721.jpg

Here is a photo of the distributor and its wiring. This is the proper position of the distributor correct? I'm using the CAS black box thing (ha) as a reference

102_7723.jpg

Then this has always been a gray area, is this some sort of ground? Not sure if it is supposed to be hookup up to something or what...

102_7724.jpg

If something doesn't seem right to you guys point it out if you would, I just want to confirm that we have everything in right. As far as the red line on the distributor, it was there when we received it but we were never sure if it was accurate so who knows. I'm sure you guys do, so just let me know, thank you!!!!

The 3 L28ET's we've had have all had a black wire connected to that spade under the distributor. It runs to a condensor that's near the coil. Here's a pic from the 280zxt wiring diagram and a pic from our 280zxt donor that shows the condensor in it's original position (bottom right of the pic)...

distwire_thumb.jpg

dist-cond01_thumb.jpg

Well, my son's '76 280 and my 260 have stock L28ET swaps... So we wired them up exactly the way the S130 ECU, AFM, dist, coil, and ignitor were wired.

If you follow the wiring diagram, the other side of the condensor is wired to the transistor ignition. Now, what it does or doesn't do for the spark, I have no clue...