HybridZ

Subaru WRX, LSx conversion!

BRAAP

I think the LSx is as close to the universal engine as possible. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head (within reason, not a P50 or something) that you couldn't shoehorn a LSx into...
R1? hadron collider? space time continuum?

• Administrators
Without AWD, it would probably be quite slower than the WRC Car...at least on gravel.

I am a fan of the Subie Boxer sound. I am also a fan of the LSX sounds. This one would have me confused.

I am also a fan of the Suby boxer, cool power plant. My Suby is an '85 Suby 4wd wagon, 5 speed with the hi-lo range tranny, affectionally named Urnee, (after the BMW V-8 conversion is done, Urnee is scheduled to receive EJ22 conversion and a T-case lift, T-case is on the way.) :wink:. But that sound of a dead cylinder, I just cant used to, no matter how much I drive Urnee or listen to other Subies with loud exhaust systems, it just sounds too much like a 6 cylinder with a dead hole. Some say it is an acquired taste. As an engine guy to the bone, the sound a smooth melodic exhaust note is blissful music, V-12's and single plane V-8 being high fidelity, Subies?... the Suby exhaust note is not one that I have been able to warm up to. When I do Urnees EJ conversion, I will be looking into rerouting the exhaust primary pipes merging them so the firing pulses meet up with even spaces for a smooth "aurally balanced" 4 cylinder exhaust note.

headphones.gif

My Z32 would sound EXACTLY like a Suby STi whenever it dropped a cylinder from a dead injector, (that car ate several injectors over the year I owned it). I'm not exaggerating, others that heard it running with the dead hole would come over to tell me how it sounded just like a Suby with an aftermarket exhaust! Not sure if those comments were a complement or sarcastic about Subies not so smooth sound?... scratch.gif

Also as an engine guy to the core, I love all engines. Even if I say I'm not a fan I still love them. I mean what's not to love?

At any rate, I've always thought that the idle on "big" displacement V12's was something similar to a tractor, and when it's prodded by your right foot, the heavens open and the tractor goes away. What replaces it is... magical?

The SL73AMG is about what I'm thinking of... :icon56:

I am also a fan of the Suby boxer, cool power plant. My Suby is an '85 Suby 4wd wagon, 5 speed with the hi-lo range tranny, affectionally named Urnee, (after the BMW V-8 conversion is done, Urnee is scheduled to receive EJ22 conversion and a T-case lift, T-case is on the way.) :wink:. But that sound of a dead cylinder, I just cant used to, no matter how much I drive Urnee or listen to other Subies with loud exhaust systems, it just sounds too much like a 6 cylinder with a dead hole. Some say it is an acquired taste. As an engine guy to the bone, the sound a smooth melodic exhaust note is blissful music, V-12's and single plane V-8 being high fidelity, Subies?... the Suby exhaust note is not one that I have been able to warm up to. When I do Urnees EJ conversion, I will be looking into rerouting the exhaust primary pipes merging them so the firing pulses meet up with even spaces for a smooth "aurally balanced" 4 cylinder exhaust note.

headphones.gif

My Z32 would sound EXACTLY like a Suby STi whenever it dropped a cylinder from a dead injector, (that car ate several injectors over the year I owned it). I'm not exaggerating, others that heard it running with the dead hole would come over to tell me how it sounded just like a Suby with an aftermarket exhaust! Not sure if those comments were a complement or sarcastic about Subies not so smooth sound?... scratch.gif

I think it's not so much the boxer-4 sound as the sound of the turbo charger mixed into it. It just sounds "wrong", "pissed off", "don't mess with me". Kind of like a top fuel engine struggling to idle. Like a nearly slayed dragon fighting for its last breath. You know it sounds wrong, but, you know it can kick your a$$. Yes, an acquired taste for sure.

I attached clips that I shot at the Wellsborough, PA rally back in 2004 or so... Turn up the voulme and see what you think. To me it's just radical to here something like that echoing through the woods.

Blue-WRX.zip

White-WRX.zip

• Administrators

I attached clips that I shot at the Wellsborough, PA rally back in 2004 or so... Turn up the voulme and see what you think. To me it's just radical to here something like that echoing through the woods.

The white one sounded good at full song, the odd note was smooth, not so coarse. :2thumbs:

My Suby is an '85 Suby 4wd wagon, 5 speed with the hi-lo range tranny, affectionally named Urnee, (after the BMW V-8 conversion is done, Urnee is scheduled to receive EJ22 conversion and a T-case lift, T-case is on the way.) :wink:.

then your going to let me jump it right :mrgreen: