HybridZ

Need some experience input

Hello,

Ive been a lurker on here for a few years, but now its time for me to buy my first z.

There is a woman who is selling a 1978 280z local in my area for $2,000. The engine does not run, the z has been repainted to that green color along time ago. I just got off the phone with her not to long ago and asked if there were any major repairs to the body, she said no, just been painted.

Here are some brief pictures that were taken by the owner i guess.

Carol's 280Z 002

I am going to go take a look at it and will be taken more detailed pictures this saturday and i will post them up in here, But from the looks of it so far in the pictures, it doesnt look that bad i am hoping, hehe.

Just wanting to get some second opinions on it. I know what to look for, but if any of you have any other suggestions what to look for and what a fair price would be. I am thinking if maybe she will do 1,500 for it.

thanks,

Brent

Way too much for a non-running car, IMO. It looks fairly clean, but make sure you check the usual rust spots. The rust on the hatch would make me suspect that there is rust lurking elsewhere. Bring a weak magnet with you to check for bondo.

By the way, it has a dash cap so the original dash is likely cracked. If the unibody is rust free, I'd offer no more than $1k but then again I'm in CA (regional prices may vary). You never know what it's going to take to get the car on the road, that's a bargaining chip.

seems kinda high$$??? I bought mine 5-6 years ago for $1500 running tagged.

I drove my 78 Home from New Orleans for $1,000 with an extra hood, hatch, and a box full of parts.

I never would trust new paint unless you know there is no bondo like they have been saying, but most people do a paint job to cover the rust up

It's missing a Hood louvre, has pretty bad rust on the hatch, has crappy wheels and will most likely need new tires, and it could be non-op because of a rusty fuel tank, electrical problems, etc.

The hatch area looks pretty clean from teh pictures though, mine has rust on the flat portion where the hatch latches, and that one looks pretty clean.

The interior looks good though. Depending on what the car looks like in person and the actual amount of rust, I'd say $1000 at the very most for a non-running 280Z.

thanks guys,

She said she has the other hood louvre, just not on the car. You can kind of see it in one of the interior pictures.

I am in no rush to get it back on the road when i buy a z. My price is around 1,000. I apparently must be pricing some of these cars to high.

I guess if this one isnt the one, then ill keep looking, just that alot of people want more than what its actually worth.

one guy wanted 3,500 for his, its not running, been sitting outside for who knows how many years with the rain, ice, and snow beating it, and it has alot of rust all around just by looking at the outside. Guy said he will never go below that, so i just said good luck, bye.

there is another one , here is a link.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1365719495.html

i looked at that one awhile back and it drives. I forgot the condition of the body, id have to go back and look again in more detail. but its missing alot of stuff if i remember.

Just a side note, i dont really care if the motor runs or not, i will be replacing it with something else. just wanting the body in good shape.

well here are the pictures the guy sent me from dallas.

whitez.jpg

whitez2.jpg

whitez3.jpg

whitez4.jpg

whitez5.jpg

doesnt seem worth it to me, what do you all think? I talked to him over the phone and asked how much he is wanting and he said $1,700.

i still think my first post is the best so far. i still need to go look at it, i might do that tomorrow.

Yea i guess i could, since all i really care about at this point is the body, as far as rust goes, just finding one with minimal rust. However i cant really tell from the pics he sent me, if the rust is just surface or actually penetrated rust.

He did say the car runs, has all original paper work. I think he said that the driver fender was replaced, and he told me why but i didnt really understand him, had a heavey mexican accent.

I dont know, still debating whether to make the trip or not. How much would you guys offer him? start him out at 1,000?

Just doesnt make any sense to me on how the interior can be in such horrible shape if it only has that low of mileage.

Dallas car looks way overpriced. He said 1700 firm, so I doubt he will be ok with 1000 on the table.

A tip on the rust bit... anywhere that you usually see pinhole rust from behind otherwise good looking paint means that the rust has come from the inside, and eaten all the way out, so that area needs to be completely cut out and replaced.

And I would bet that the odometer has rolled over once or twice, or three times... no way to tell, and I highly doubt it has 60k miles!

id say go look at it but with that low of miles and if you restore it it can be worth somthing

I had a 280z that I gave away to a good home that had 46,000 miles and was rusty as hell. Looking at it's total worth is not the first way to go into buying one of these cars, as that 280z would have been worth nothing, regardless of the miles.

Find the one with the least rust. It's the most important.

the green one looks good, take pics of underneath. don't worry bout the hatch-lid rust. not a big deal.