HybridZ

Sloppy shifting in transmission

Hey guys, I have a 1977 280z with about 45k miles on it. Ever since I started driving the z, (it is my dads original car so he has noticed the changes more than me) the transmission has felt like it has a little play in it, it isn't terrible, it shifts but it is sloppy between 2nd-3rd and sometimes a bit from 3rd-4th. I've done some research, and talked to several mechanic friends one who even owned a 260z, and they all told me that it is most likely nylon bushings in the transmission. I searched the Zstore and only found these parts, can anyone help with any insight or personal experiences with this type of problem? or which parts I need and if in fact it is 32 year old bushings that are aged and could possibly let loose at any time?

Thank you

Sean

Here are the parts I found

Shifter Parts:

Shifter Pin, 72-83 Z/ZX

Code:20-1102

Price: $3.63

Quantity in Basket: none

Shifter Pin Retaining Clip, 72-83 Z/ZX

Code:20-1111

Price: $0.35

Shifter Pin Bushing, 72-81 Z/ZX Non Turbo

Code:20-1130

Price: $3.45

Shift Lever End Bushing, 72-81 Z/ZX Non Turbo

Code:20-1121

Price: $3.38

The nylon shifter bushings are a common failure point. If you like replacing parts every x years, then the factory style nylon is the way to go. However if you wish to increase shifter precision, and eliminate the need to ever replace the bushings again, then I strongly suggest upgrading to brass shifter bushing. You can get them at autozone. Dont' waste your time replacing your shifter Pin or retaining clip, i've never seen those parts show the least amount of wear.

the HELP line of auto parts at places like autozone/kragen/checker parts stores has the item you need.

The brass shifter bushings needed are in 2 different kits: Help 38374 and 38377.

Search on brass shifter bushing and you will find all the info you need:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122484&highlight=brass+shifter+bushing

Mine was really loose and I installed a nylon shifter bushing and it really felt like a different tranny. Really nice and smooth. I've heard that sometimes the brass bushing can rattle a little. Not sure if thats true. But my nylon bushing is nice and if it ever fails again its really a cheap and easy part to replace.

• 2 weeks later...