HybridZ

DIY bump-steer adjustable tie rod ends.

Guys,

Just thought I'd share what I'm working on at the moment. DIY bump-steer adjustable tie rod ends.

Parts:

• midwest control hex steel turn buckles (PN HBT8-8.00)
  • 5/8" high misalignment tie rod ends + nuts
  • coleman racing bump steer bushing kit(PN 808-900)

Tools:

• 5/8" tap
  • M14x1.5 tap
  • M14x1.5 left-handed tap (still waiting on peoples to actually send me the right one)
  • misc drill bits (9/16", 1/2")

Apologies in advance for the really crap pictures.

Drilling out the end:

CIMG0074.jpg

Retapping to 5/8":

CIMG0072.jpg

With 5/8" rod end installed:

adjustable_tie_rod_ends.jpg

My only concern with this design was the relatively thin-wall thickness. The thickness is between 1.75mm-2mm at its thinnest point, what do you guys think?

Also, I was thinking just grade 8 hardware for the bolts, and am planning on just drilling out the steering arm hole to 5/8". Sound ok?

Regards,

Dave

Because only one end has to be 5/8. The inner ends have to be M14x1.5 left and right hand. I went the size I did because its smaller than both, but already drilled true so I can use the existing holes as a guide (I don't have a lathe/drill press in America). Hope that makes sense.

Dave

I apologize in advance if I'm being a bit dense with this question, but how is this different from the stock tie rod end as far as bump steer is concerned? Unless you move the attachment position of the steering knuckles to the tie rod end, isn't this just the same as the stock geometry? What am I missing?

BTW, I've been known to use a vice grip for a tap too, although I've also successfully used a socket. :)

Out of curiosity what is the original hole diameter for the steering arm?

Is there a real necessity in using a 5/8 rod end and bolt? I was thinking of doing something similar but using the 1/2 rod end, then drilling the steering arm out and fitting the hole with a metal sleeve in order to be able to use a 1/2" bolt, rather than taping the turnbuckle for 5/8.

Out of curiosity what is the original hole diameter for the steering arm?

Is there a real necessity in using a 5/8 rod end and bolt? I was thinking of doing something similar but using the 1/2 rod end, then drilling the steering arm out and fitting the hole with a metal sleeve in order to be able to use a 1/2" bolt, rather than taping the turnbuckle for 5/8.

If you do a search you will find that Terry (blueovalz) did exactly that, but you will need to make some cone shaped inserts that fit the tapered hole. By drilling the knuckle to 5/8 you completely eliminate the original hole and that's why I think people tend to do it that way. It's just a bit easier.

Zmanco, Jon is correct. You can use the bump steer bushing kit from coleman racing I mention in the original post: PN 808-900.

Richard, good point, but I'd rather not have the steering fail on me whilst driving about normally either. Sweet spot inbetween there somewhere :)

Hardest part of this exercise so far has been trying to source the M14x1.5 left handed tap. Maryland metrics sell them, but I think they sent me a right handed one. :(

Dave

If you do a search you will find that Terry (blueovalz) did exactly that, but you will need to make some cone shaped inserts that fit the tapered hole. By drilling the knuckle to 5/8 you completely eliminate the original hole and that's why I think people tend to do it that way. It's just a bit easier.
I should have realized the hole is tapered, I thought it was normal. I'm thinking I'll drill it out to 5/8 and use a straight metal insert so I can use a 1/2" bolt and rod end. That would at least avoid having to drill and tap both sides of the turnbuckle.

Hardest part of this exercise so far has been trying to source the M14x1.5 left handed tap. Maryland metrics sell them, but I think they sent me a right handed one.
If you give up on those guys Mcmaster has the taps youre looking for. Their prices are generally not too bad.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#26565a392

Those S30 steering arm holes are a bitch to drill out too, hard as.

The key is to have a SHARP bit and use CUTTING FLUID, not WD-40. I used bacon grease as a cutting fluid. Worked great. Before the fluid I burned up two bits and thought it was impossible. With the grease the drill just cut right through in about 2 minutes.

The key is to have a SHARP bit and use CUTTING FLUID, not WD-40. I used bacon grease as a cutting fluid. Worked great. Before the fluid I burned up two bits and thought it was impossible. With the grease the drill just cut right through in about 2 minutes.

Canola oil works really well too. Just make sure to wash it off before it hardens. And a 5/8 bridge reamer does a really quick job of this if you have one.

Cary