HybridZ

OS Giken SEMA Booth

johnc

We all know the Electramotive Car was running around with 800-1000HP depending on boost levels back in the early 80's running primitive turbo and EFI/Spark control...

Qualifying engines. Race engines were in the low 700hp range - at least that's what the guy who ran their dyno said to me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy that built them says differently. 780 was only one trim. The GTU engine was making 680, and that was >2.5l

Yes, we have been busy networking and gleaning knowledge. Those guys give up information....but you got to draw it out. It's a process. Learning a lot as it goes further and further down the road!

Its not a battle at all. Tony and I don't know the real story. As he posted above, we're just trying to draw out information.

Maybe one season all the engines were tuned down because they were having problems the previous season with he higher horsepower levels - bad batch of pistons, poor tune, budget constraints,...?

Maybe they were running away from the other competitors and needed to slow the driver's down (asking a driver to slow down is pointless) to minimize the restrictive rule changes IMSA was threatening?

I spent some time at Caldwell's in the eary 2000s when I was crew on an ALMS GTS Viper team and had a chance to talk with John about building L6 engines (he's the one that recommended Jim Thompson at Sunbelt). He said that they (Electramotive) could basically get whatever horsepower numbers they wanted out of the turbocharged engines. He and my friend who was the dyno operator gave me the "typical" numbers I posted above but the engine power on any given day could be varied based on tune.

FYI... John Caldwell had two complete Electramotive lay down L6 turbo engines (I mean COMPLETE) at his shop when I was there. I tried to get one of them when they closed down but they were already spoken for.

Edited by johnc

Yep, 'anything they wanted' was what we have been told as well.

The people we are talking to are interested in our approach as we are not looking for 'specific power secrets' but the ancillary endurance modifications they did to make the power last. Both parties recognize that what specific number you make is irrelevant if it blows up before the checkered flag drops. If you make it last, power is the least of your worries. We want longevity, we can make whatever horspower we need, as long as ancillary systems are capable.

The biggest thing they kept stressing was cooling systems. They are very proud that they never had a DNF due to the cooling system, regardless of power level being used at the time.

The point I was making is the untapped (or unknown previously tapped) potential of the L-Engine in SOHC Non-Crossflow form is FAR more than what has been proven to be available from many of the aftermarket dongle and gadget people. Note earlier where OSG will basically build the engine for their head as a condition of selling it... hmmmm wonder why? They want the quality control of the things that make it last perhaps?

If you start looking at photos, you see things. Sorry to be nebulous, but it's as far as I can go till we get this stuff all sorted and proven in our own minds and on the dyno.

I do know there will be another SoCal engine dyno with an L-Engine adapter setup soon... Retreading ground, what can I say, it's the price of step-by-step engine redevelopment!

Paying dearly for one of those E-Motive engines would have made a lot of things evident. The guy that regreshes them is still active and just moved his shop. He was doing an F1 engine for vintage racing last visit. Cool stuff, cool guy!

Ohhh... No, that's not who I'm discussing it with, but the lead proves intriguing.

Having one of the completed engines to dissect would be most enlightening, if for no other reason than to see what went on, and then to ask 'why' on this or that...

There have been impromptu conversations with DD, though.

You know how it works, rats in the cellar feeding on a common bit of bread striking up conversations...finding common ground, sharing the cheese they squirreled away last evening. Typical shop talk and milking in the way least likely to make you look like you're not trying to grovel for even more, being the unworthy rat you are...

and that's if one of those LSD's sitting back there was a 29 spline R200

Well, I've sold probably five of these to S30 guys running R200s. They have been available from OS Giken for at least a year. I'm an OS Giken dealer if you're interested.

Really? See last time I checked (mind you it was last year) they said they were coming out with one soon. "Soon" isn't exactly defined. How much does one run if you don't mind me asking and is it the 10mm or 12 mm ring gear bolts?

oh dear lord! :shock: Heavy drool forming, screen fogging....... lol

I am willing to sell my soul for a mere 7.2million yen! Any takers?

Well, its not the power or the price, its how amazingly cool & uber rare that item is!!! If i was ever to own one engine, i think that would be it.

Most unfortunately, i cant use that head in tarmac rally :( , but if i ever win the lottery, i will build a car just for that motor.

John, so how much is the OS Giken 3.1 stroker kit? (wondering if its comparable to the kameari kit ive been looking at?)