HybridZ

Looking for a new luxury DD

cockerstar

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new DD, so I thought I'd ask your guy's oppinions on the matter.

Should probably be a 4 door. Looking for a luxury car with a little pep to it. AWD is a plus, but not a requirement. Gas mileage isn't much of a concern, so I'm perfectly fine with a v8 under the hood ;)

Budget is right around $20,000.

Here's a list of what a quick search online turned up for possibilities in the price range.

2005 Audi A4

2005 Audi TT (2 door)

2005 BMW 3 Series

2003 BMW 5 Series

2006 Chrysler 300C

2005 Infiniti G35

2005 Jaguar S-Type

2005 Lexus IS 300

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan

2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan

2006 Volvo S60 R

2005 Volvo S80

2010 Subaru Impreza 4-door

2010 Nissan Altima SE-R

2010 v6 Chevrolet Camaro

I'm gonna throw my vote in...

G35 (waits for flatty to chide me for not picking the merc). 350Z with two spare seats, all the goodies, and you can get them factory with Brembo brakes. What's not to love?

The last three really aren't luxury cars, in my opinion. My next vote would be the volvo, though I'm not a fan of an awd turbo sedan that size with the wrong way facing engine. The mercs have just started to get their reliabilty back to where they were 15 years go and any cars built between 1997 when chrysler sold them will have reiliability issues (why I believe chrysler single-handedly attempted to kill mercedes).

the 2.0-T sedan would be nice from Saab, since it's basically a subaru with pretty leather and what not.

Everything else is pretty meh, I mean Audi's feel like they're carved out of lead and I don't think that much vehicle weight should be hauled around with the little 2.0L motor.

BMW's are alright I guess, I mean I've never been a fan of them, maybe I've just never been a fan of the stereotypical Bimmer driver, who knows.

Guest Rolling Parts
Why Nissan/Infinity? I ask because I've been looking at buying a G35 coupe...

I've had all kinds of problems with a variety of engine sensors going out; some multiple times replaced under warranty. Not so much a Nissan/Infinity problem as who they get their parts from. That's a real issue to me as cars get more complicated (like the G35). YMMV.

I just picked this up, traded in my 03 G35 sedan for it. The G was turning into one of those "oil consumers" So rather than having a 4k paperweight around I traded up to this:

Plenty of power!

Charger SRT8

I like those cars, but my buddy's wife has had enough problems with hers, from overheating to tranny fluid leak - this was at around 50,000 miles or so. Also, IIRC, you get to replace 16 spark plugs every 30,000 miles. He wasn't aware of this, and was detonating pretty bad at 45,000 miles. I never read any consumer reports on it, so maybe they just bought a lemon.

Bummer about the G - I was looking forward to it. Guess I'll stick with a TSX or IS250 :-)

G35 (waits for flatty to chide me for not picking the merc). 350Z with two spare seats, all the goodies, and you can get them factory with Brembo brakes. What's not to love?

G35s are okay, but I'm gonna vote for a

3 Series [M3 would be awesome, MAG, you're out of your element],

CTS-V was also a good suggestion [Can't go wrong with a luxury saloon with an LSX], or, for AWD, I'd do a nice turbo German car like an A4 or something.