HybridZ

LS1 won't start.. need help

Hi Guys,

I never thought I would be in this position but I need help. I am helping a friend of mine getting his LS1 engine running. The engine doesn't have MAF sensor, radiator and O2 sensors and it won't start. It has sparks and fuel pressure but the PCM not sending pulses to the injectors. I disabled the VATs system from the PCM. I took the PCM and hooked it to another LS1 swap car and it ran so it's not the PCM. It's something missing from the engine and prevent the PCM from sending signal to the injectors. If anyone of you have started your LS1 engine up in similar condition please let me know. Thanks

Vinh

Man I am really stump on this one. I took my friend's LS1 Z over to the shop and disconnected all the above sensors (MAF, O2 and air temp) and his car started up just fine. I put the new PCM into my friend's Z and my friend's LS1 Z started up and runs fine. So the PCM is OK. Something else I am missing on the engine that prevents the PCM from sending pulses to the injectors. I also compare the tune file from this PCM to Clive's tune file and there is no noticable differences. One thing I noticed is on my friend's LS1 Z, when I disconnect the water temp sensor it won't start. Originally the water temp sensor was busted on this motor so we replaced it and it still won't start. We also don't have the belt hook up also. This means the alternator is not hook up also.

Vinh, I was getting nothing at the injectors when I had my issue. The PCM was not staying on during the crank cycle so nothing was sent to the injectors to fire. I am not sure if it is the same issue. Are you getting the motor to turn over and just not fire up?Last time I forgot to hook up the crank angle sensor and the motor would not fire up. I am pretty sure you checked all your connections to the motor. I am not going to be much help....I am the newbie!

Clive,

Yes I remember I've made a mistake hooking up your ignition wire. So I definitely won't make that mistake again. Right now I hot wire all the pink and orange wires to the EFI harness to the battery. Then I just used the starter wire and touch the 12V battery to start the car. I disconnect the PCM connectors and measured all ignition sources and battery sources and ground at that point and they all checked out good. I am seriously running out of idea on this one.

Well guess what... you are all failed the test. No one would have guess this one right. All 8 injectors were all dead. It was pretty simple after I thought about it. We hook up the noid light to the injector and see no pulse. We then unplug the connectors to the injectors and try the same test and the noid lights are flashing. We lift up the fuel injectors and connect 12V to them and none of them click. We remove the fuel injectors and beat the crap out of them and slowly 7 of them start working. So we replace the dead injector and put everything back and it started up. Don't over look the simple stuff guys.

I had the same issue getting my new LT1 started, bad injectors. Give away for me was totally dry plugs after attempting to start it mamy times. The injectors were used and had been sitting for a couple years. Same as yours they wouldn't even click when +12v was applied.

had similar issue with my car on start up had spark had pulse at injectors ended up pulling injectors from engine left them connected and turned them upside down on engine turned out only 4 injectors where firing fuel out plugged in another set of injectors and it fired up fine guess fuel rail was blocked or injectors where dead

just my experience Mick

Mine had sat for a couple years. When I took the rail apart it was full of what looked like a fine balck powder. I assume that was what was left of the gas left in the rails. You can get injectors cleaned. There are several on-line places. One I have used is http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/

When you say the injectors are dead, are the connections corroded or can the injectors be cleaned, then reused? My engine has been sitting for a few years as well.

• 2 weeks later...