HybridZ

New project. Wide body 73 240z

Well aziza hasnt given me much to do lately. Little things here and there and I needed another project.

My little brother is getting his license soon and seems like he had been bit by the z bug. We started looking for a z shell so we can have a project togther. And found this completly rust free shell. Had no motor and was bought from a member of hybridz.

So with pretty much a shell, a jtr kit and boxes of parts, we got started. We had a 289 laying around with an auto trans (turbo 350?). So being that this is a "Super tight budget build" this is what we will run with for a while. I got plenty of spare parts left over from aziza and all the other z cars ive had. Hoping to build this car with whatever I have. If I do buy something I want to pull something off the car or donor car to pay for it.

Its a little rough but will make a great start car for him. I figure he will learn the way I did and if he does the work on the car himself (like I did) he will be careful with the car (like I am) and still have opportunities to autocross and track the car when he needs to get it out of his system.

Plans for the car:

-Fresh white paint with a clear coat

-Black chrome everything

-Stock interior

-17x10.5 rear wheels

-17x9 front wheels

-finish putting in the 289 and get it running

-r200 swap/halfshaft/shock housing

-Lowering springs and shocks(car already has sway bars)

The cars expected duties:

- Street mostly

- Occasional autocross

- 1 track day a year possibly

Eventually I know we are going to go extreme with the car once he saves up for another car and then the car will become a garage queen with aziza and be driven less on the street. Either way its gona be a blast building another z car.

Anyway here are pictures.

SDC11440-1-1.jpg

(its so high because it has no motor in this picture)

IMG_0022-1.jpg

SDC11443-1.jpg

(selling the bumper override thing and the bumper guards if someone wants it)

SDC11448.jpg

Interior after some cleaning. Needs alot more attention.

SDC11450-1.jpg

Donor car

headers1.jpg

16243_196493602795_766077795_4052342_1099197_n.jpg

16243_196493607795_766077795_4052343_1340930_n.jpg

16243_196493622795_766077795_4052346_3810897_n.jpg

16243_196493642795_766077795_4052348_1721781_n.jpg

16243_196493657795_766077795_4052351_4611897_n.jpg

16243_196493667795_766077795_4052353_312203_n.jpg

16243_196512417795_766077795_4052592_1192070_n.jpg

opinions welcome.

Its got some basic stuff. Mallory ignition, edelbrock carb (still need to look up specs one it). It was in our impala which came with the motor and everything on it. Pretty much stock im sure. Im thinking it will be temporary. Me and carbs in general dont get along.

Looks like a cool project.

What's the details on the 289?

John

Is the 289 a bored out 283 Chevy? I'm not the best at calculating the cubic inches of a motor that's been bored over, so I am just curious. Excellent shell you picked up, BTW---looks extremely clean and even somewhat taken care of from what the pictures show. This will be a fun car for your bro.

Davy

I looked up that it was a 289 according to the casting # on the block. Its def a chevy. Came out of an impala and the casting number was chevy. Flairs were already on the car. The shell was excellent. No rust. Floors are solid, battery tray has nothing, even the trunk jam areas are insanely clean. It was a score. You guys will get a trip once we show you what wheels we got for it. Stay tuned people.

• 2 weeks later...

A 283 perhaps, Chevy never made a 289. The 283 is a great engine and nearly indestructible. That's gonna be one nice V8 Z! I haven't played with the Edelbrock 4bbl carbs, but I am a huge fan of the Carter AFB, which is basically the same thing. Are you gonna run headers on it or use stock exhaust manifolds? Build that mouse motor up when you get the bux, put 2-1/2 inch rams horn exhaust manifolds, 1.94 or 2.02 camel hump heads and a performance cam in it and you'll have plenty of horses under the hood. Hmm, wait, that's basically what I'm running in my '64 Impala!:mrgreen:

Yes you are correct. It is a 283. My mistake. The car is coming along. 5 lug conversion is nearly done (little things left). We got some temporary 350z wheels cheap until our budget premits up to get the wheels we really want to fill up the flares. Might have the motor fired up this week sometime (need a 240z fuse box to finish up wiring). Ill post an update with pictures soon.

Btw if anyone has these parts, please let me know. They are some of the parts needed for this car. THanks.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=155251

and

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=155847

Just wondering if your brother wants to keep the sunroof. If not I got a roof for ya. Will sell it cheap if interested. The car is looking good. :mrgreen:

Just wondering if your brother wants to keep the sunroof. If not I got a roof for ya. Will sell it cheap if interested. The car is looking good. :mrgreen:

Thanks. For right now we actually have a "top secret" solution I will share when its done and on the car. I will keep you in mind though if the solution doesnt work out.

Ha I dont know if joy is the word I would use haha.

I really wanted to borrow the water pressure from work and hit the whole bottom of the car before I started to work on it like I had done with Aziza.

I never got around to that (obviously).

the joys of getting dirty on the Z

• 2 weeks later...

Havent got around to anything on the car recently due to finals. Hoping to pick up some fittings for the oil and temp this weekend.

Its rained hard this week also. And suprisingly the sunroof doesnt leak. Pretty surprised.

Major things left:

r200 swap

driveshaft

exhaust

wiring

cooling/heater hoses

brakes

shifter

mount rear wheels