HybridZ

External wastegate adaptor

Noddle

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These adapters may work fine in lower boost/HP motors, but they have their limits and may not work as well in higher boost/HP motors.

What is not desirable about these wastegate adapters is the 90 degree turn the exhaust gas has to make; especially as the speed of the exhaust increases, it becomes more and more difficult for the exhaust gas to make the turn. If you can manage it, a 45 degree angle or less is better.

I have done wastegates on a downward facing pipe (used 1.75" thick wall cast iron from a hardware store, 42mm T'netics Racegate) welded to the bottom of an L28 manifold, and see no difference in quality of boost control at the 400whp level compared to this adaptor. Above that hp level for an L28 I have no experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The bolt on adapters, you can buy off of ebay, the other one, I believe is custom. (I'm fairly sure you have to tig aluminum)

Those "bolt on" adapters don't really "bolt on". You have to grind out the threads from the manifold side, then have the adapter welded to the manifold. This is because there is not enough clearence on the WG side(by the flange) to get a nut on the stud.

Hoov, what peice of aluminum are you talking about? I was fairly sure aluminum was a no no for turbo manifolds :mrgreen:.

Those "bolt on" adapters don't really "bolt on". You have to grind out the threads from the manifold side, then have the adapter welded to the manifold. This is because there is not enough clearence on the WG side(by the flange) to get a nut on the stud.

Hoov, what peice of aluminum are you talking about? I was fairly sure aluminum was a no no for turbo manifolds :mrgreen:.

You can tig more then aluminum. As for the bolt on part, what would stop you from just running a long stud, that would go through the adapter?

You can tig more then aluminum. As for the bolt on part, what would stop you from just running a long stud, that would go through the adapter?

Running a long stud through was something I had thought about. My only problem was when trying to remove the studs, I snapped them off instead of removing them.

Our manifolds are made of cast steel and not cast iron, so MIG welding on them is fairly straight forward. A proper preheat will help with penetration. I know BigPhill welded his adapter on without issue, but he wasn't happy with the performance on his higher boost application, iirc.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got done with this install. I neded to get a new manifold, as the SFP part rused very badly, and it would NOT stay flat.

I started in on a stock manifold and worked the part extensively. The wastegate was changed to a TIAL 44mm part.

I was able to get a 1 3/4" pipe in the bottom of the manifold, just under the turbo flange. I then routed directly to the downpipe.

The install was not easy, but the pipe welded very well, and I was using 316L for the waste gate pipe. I was even able to get a 1 3/4" flex joint in the inlet side of the gate.

I will have to post some pictures to my web page of the install. The manifold is out for JET-HOT 2000 (Black) and will be ready fo install after I get it ground flat. hat appears to be the weak point of the header, and I believe that is why they came up with the EURO header in three pieces.