HybridZ

External wastegate adaptor

Noddle

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the forgotten thread....anyone with any new findings or pics?

Only thing I found was it would be just as easy to weld a separate wastegate flange to the manifold. Still need a spacer for the T4 cold side though. The flange on the adapter had my wastegate dumping towards the DP, made it a pain to make a screamer pipe, would work well if you wanted to return it to the exhaust.

Not much to talk about, you have to weld the adapter to the manifold. I think just a spacer and adding a separate flange would probably cost about the same and wouldn't be much harder.

yea that would be the best way. i was trying to figure out a different way of doing it, then using a spacer.I wanted to try and use my bigger turbo with the old box steering. the cold side only hits the manifold by like 1.5 mm, but it doesn't clear the box anyways . Never mind a spacer. So i will have to stick with the stock turbo till i switch the motor in my 82' chassis with the R&P. Im gonna just use a small spacer to conserve space and route a separate pipe off at 45deg below the turbo for a W/G. It seems to be the consensus versus the big spacer with the 90deg w/g hole.

I thought I'd just put up some pictures of the adaptor that I'm using, it's an old HKS cast piece, it might originally be off an L series or maybe an FJ20? T3 flange one side, T4 flange the other side and a 35mm wastegate. Car is RHD and don't worry about the turbo & wastegate pipe, I didn't end up using them.

DSC01379.jpg

DSC01376.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

These are the best pics I've got unfortunately, they were taken about 3 or 4 years ago and it's been on the car ever since.

thats really a cool piece, but might be hard to use for most lhd applications. .. it's kinda hard to tell, but actually the more i look at it It looks like it might position the turbo up and outta the way of the box steering for a LHD, no?

Yeah, it moves the turbo right up, backwards and out towards the guard a bit, I'm not sure how much difference it would make on a LHD car, but it clears everything on a RHD drive car including the engine mount when running a big compressor housing.

Yeah, it moves the turbo right up, backwards and out towards the guard a bit, I'm not sure how much difference it would make on a LHD car, but it clears everything on a RHD drive car including the engine mount when running a big compressor housing.

oh.. Djz. You havnt posted up here in a while.

Im using the same Adaptor Phill is using. Havnt got the car running yet to find out how it performs

Photo0118.jpg

Photo0116.jpg

Photo0072.jpg

oh.. Djz. You havnt posted up here in a while.

Im using the same Adaptor Phill is using. Havnt got the car running yet to find out how it performs

That's what I was thinking about doing, I did get the screamer past the 3" DP though. After paying for the adapter with the flange on it, I really didn't want to weld on a pipe to it. I went ahead and did some porting just like phil did. I've driven it at 8psi and It didn't creep or anything but my turbine seems to be a bit oversized, it is bigger than a stage5 t3 turbine. Maybe it would be a different story with a smaller turbine. I don't hear the screamer pipe making alot of noise.

Screamer.jpg

Edited by goodoldjam

Hi,

I just got my new laser cut spacer flange for my mainifold, and I have some questions about welding it to my manifold,

1, I assume mild steel rods will work Ok, since the manifold is cast steel, not cast iron,

2 How hot should I pre-heat it before I weld it to the manifold, warm, finger burning hot, glowing red hot ?

3 do I need to de-stress the weld (with center punch punches) ?

4, using a stick welder, what sort of amperage should I be using, 90 - 100 ish ?

I'll also be doing my external waste gate, looks like I will use a 90 degree bend to a flange.

thanks for any help

Nigel

• 3 months later...

has anyone tried welding the wastegate pipe ontot eh turbo housing? or is that a big no no?

It would look a little something like this guys, and I don't see it having any problems with connecting to the downpipe.

http://www.stevericeracing.com/wastegate_placement.htm

Not sure if it ould clear the intake manifold though without somekind of 45 degree extending flange, like the ones in this thread just without the wastegate flange.

Edited by BluDestiny

Hi,

It's been awhile, the weathers starting to clear up (summer), anyway I was doing some test fitting, and this seems to be the best placement for my setup,

I had some issues finding enough room, since my waste gate has such a large diaphragm area,

I had to remove the head of the engine block water plug.

I'm still very nervous about welding this, so I may just tack it, and take it to a professional.

Nigel

post-2090-031061200 1290821478_thumb.jpg

post-2090-061264200 1290821662_thumb.jpg

post-2090-031481800 1290821744_thumb.jpg

Yeh I got mine done by a pro, there was a problem with my VG30 manifold cracking after the hole was cut into it with a hole saw. So although I have some you beaut weld anything rods I thought it best to get it done by someone with experience.

Edited by 260DET

Do not worry about the difficulty of welding this manifold. Long story short way back when I had a L28t in my 510 I took the manifold to a "pro" who attempted to TIG welding steel to this manifold. I think they used stainless rod for some reason. Anyway it cracked. 3 times. Finally I gave up and welded it with regular MIG wire for steel and never had an issue with cracking. This included multiple track days running 17+ psi and running at Thunderhill in over 100 degree temps.

It's easy enough to weld it. Just crank your heat for adequate penetration and go to it. Nice thing is both the parts are thick so you don't have to worry about burn through. Some have recommended pre-heating. I can't comment on that as I just welded at whatever temp it was at the time. The only thing I did for prep was grinding down to bare metal as the manifold was rusty.

Hi,

I spent most of the day outside working on this,

as you can see I did pre-heat the parts before welding, not sure if it got hot enough, but it was enough to burn my finger.

I just hope I did a good enough job..

Do you think I will have a issue with the vacuum / boost line to my wastegate ? (heat melting the tube)

Nigel

post-2090-052501300 1291454162_thumb.jpg

post-2090-059302000 1291454300_thumb.jpg

post-2090-063789800 1291454315_thumb.jpg

post-2090-099415300 1291454325_thumb.jpg

post-2090-022056400 1291454342_thumb.jpg

post-2090-017054200 1291454379_thumb.jpg

post-2090-080088600 1291454397_thumb.jpg

post-2090-012768200 1291454408_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noddle

• 2 weeks later...

Man I need to learn how to weld!! Nice work Noddle

I learnt how to mig weld when I built my 3 inch exaust ( I'm still learning), I know how to stick, and oxy weld already.

get some metal to test with and play, once you get the amperage, and wire speed right, it's not to hard.

I found some how to on youtube, the main thing I learnt was to listen for the sound it makes when it's running just right.

Edited by Noddle

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any more pictures of their external gates in the car.

I have an old turbonetics Deltagate (huge) and I believe it is going to be too big to fit in between the 90* and the flex plate. The vacuum line sticks straight out the top. I guess my options from here are to weld another piece of pipe that will fit the wastegate down below the turbo (see page 2) or buy a smaller (in physical size) wastegate.

Any thoughts, pictures, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lindsey