HybridZ

Diff gurus your opinion please!!

CJBrian

OK so I went to the junkyard today and Im walking down the aisles when I come across a 300ZX. I pop the hood and find that it is a 87 and a turbo so Im thinking CLSD jackpot! I crawl under it and it has 4 bolt turbo cv's so thats good. I pull the cover and it looks clean and without a flashlight I can see 4 spider gears but no clutch discs. I have never seen a 300zxt CLSD in person so Im thinking maybe the clutch discs are behind the spider gear and this has to be one because its a 87 300ZXT. I pull it from the car and hold one cv and try to turn the other I cant so again I think its a CLSD. So I buy it and bring it home and noticed it doesnt look like the other CLSD's on hybrid. So I go back to the garage stand on one cv and turn the other with both hands and it pops free and starts spinning.

DAMN its a OPEN DIFF!

SNC00411.jpg

So heres my plan now. I'm going to run the R200 from the 280ZXT I already have but I'm going to install the 300ZXT CV's in it. I'm going to stay with the 280ZXT diff because I want the 3.54 gear ratio and then I will install a aftermarket LSD in it. Anyone see any issues with this setup?

Thanks and it looks like I will have a 300zxt open R200 for sale.

So heres my plan now. I'm going to run the R200 from the 280ZXT I already have but I'm going to install the 300ZXT CV's in it. I'm going to stay with the 280ZXT diff because I want the 3.54 gear ratio and then I will install a aftermarket LSD in it. Anyone see any issues with this setup?

Nope, that should work fine.

Thanks and it looks like I will have a 300zxt open R200 for sale.

Looks like a 4 pinion open diff so should be more durable than the 2 pinion variety.

Theres 2 Pick-ur-parts in Stanton/Anahiem area. Theres a Ecology in Santa Fe Springs, 2 Ecology yards in Fontana/Rialto area. And 2 Pick-a-parts off the 60 in Ontario area.

You looking for something?

I need a vented 280Z hood. I have a '73 hood on my '75 and I'd like the vents for cooling :cool:

Lol. I feel like I wrote this. This is the Exact think that happened to me the other day. Walking down the junkyard lookin for 280z stub axles when I come across an untouched 87 300zx turbo. Looked at the diff and said YES. I just hope mines LSD, ill open it up later.

Is there enough open area to actually reduce temps? The long strips could mount nicely alongside the power bulge.

Cameron

Definitely looks like it would. I might go this route because its pretty hard to find a decent vented 280 hood. Everyone seems to steal the vents!