HybridZ

What's In Your tool Pouch?

TomoHawk

I have a little Craftsman tool set in a zipper pouch. Regular price was $50, but it was on sale for $24. It has SAE and metric sockets, 3 open end wrenches and a screw driver with interchangeable tips as well as a small set of SAE allen wrenches. I added a set of side cutters, a small crescent wrench, a fold-up metric allen tool and 6' of 12 ga wire. This has saved my rear a couple of times! The pouch fits nicely in the tool box and the elastic straps in the pouch keep the tools from rattling.

The only things I would add to Mike's excellent list of toys are a vise grip, some 22gauge stainless or galvanized wire, spare belts and some cold shrink tape (for blown hoses...temp repair) and some silicon sealant, and although I hate to use it, some 'fix-a-flat', since I won't be carrying a spare tire (carrying fuel in its place :D ).

Tim

Guest greimann

Along with basic tools, I carry one of those tire patch kits, the one with the little rubber strips. It comes with a reamer, needle, cement and 4 rubber strip patches. I carry that in all of my vehicles and has saved me numerous times. The patches will hold for the life of the tire too! Also be sure to have a little compressor to refill the tire. 2thumbs.gif

I carry a small tool box intended for the back of a pick up. It is the same one I use to work on my cars. Full set of 3/8 and 1/4 metric sockets, ratchets, extensions, adapters and 1/2 drive breaker bar. I also carry a 21 MM socket for the breaker bar in place of a lug wrench. The breaker bar doubles as a hammer.

Beyond that, channel lock, needle nose, diagonal cutter and lineman pliers, 12 inch cresent wrench, 12 volt test light, assorted hose clamps, 2 or 3 screw drivers and a battery terminal cleaner. The battery post cleaner is probably the most used item since my coworkers are all pretty car illiterate. Sounds like a lot but it all fits in the small tool box. I use to carry a separate volt meter until I burned it up. Fuses, tire gage and flashlight are standard glove box items in all my cars. In my older cars I use to wedge a quart of oil under the hood somewhere.

The other thing that is extremely usefull is a tube of hand cleaner and roll of paper towels stuffed under a seat. Kids make having paper towels in easy reach an absolute necessity.

Good idea about the wire. Spare belts and hoses are probably not a bad idea, but if you replace them at the first sign of wear then trouble with them is really kinda rare. (Watch me get stranded with a broken belt this weekend.)

That sounds like you guys follow the Snap-On tools truck! I was thinking about minimizing things. Do you actually carry ALL that stuff around in your Z?

Actually, Tomahawk's sounds like the best one, but I would add some fuses, wire, and a test light. Maybe something else...

Guest Anonymous

I carry one of those small blow molded tool kits with wrenches up to 5/8" and I believe metric to about 14 mm (a 12mm and 14 mm is good to have and works fine on most of the chevy engine fasteners), it doesn't take up much room and in also has all of the different screw driver tips including torx and some hex head and 2 phillips and 2 standard screw drivers and allen wrenches.

In a small green army type pouch I carry some primary wire (12-14 gauge) some secondary wire (10 gauge) and crimp connectors for both and a crimp tool (although lately I have to tell you I LOVE those ones that you just strip the wire and slip it in the connector and tighten the nylon nut up, they work EXCELLENT I just wish they had them in spade and female connectors instead of just butt splice connectors).

I also carry some electrical tape, steel wire (bailing wire basically) and what else? Racer tape (duct tape, if you can't fix it duc it.), fuses etc. If I'm taking a long trip, I'll add a small emergency kit that has rubber tape that seals a hose, fix a flat, a flare etc. I also carry a spare fan belt and some fuel hose if its a long trip as well as a gas can, a quart or two of oil and a 1 gal jug of antifreeze or water. (I'm talking LONG trip here like when I went to AZ with the Z).

I know it sounds like a buttload of stuff but its really not that big a package of stuff (except on the LONG trips, but its worth the piece of mind for me) and I agree a cell phone which I carry as well. Tow service is nice to have as well just in case you can't fix it. But I've found I've had tools enough to get going again nearly always unless you hurt the driveline or motor badly.

I had my taurus fan go out on high speed and had to do a quick resplice and hook it back up on low speed only and was able to be going again in 10 mins with what I had. (its also a excellent deal about that two speed fan, low speed will work just fine and its almost like having two fans with you, if you burn up high, just connect low, it'll still work. Mine incidently worked up until I parked the car and was dead when I came back, strange since it wasn't like running, it just picked that time to pack it in). A cell phone is invaluable, but there are times when you can be out of range, or the time it takes a tow truck to get to you, you could have fixed it with minimal tools. Happy emergency repairing!

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Add a few common nuts and bolts as well, you'll thank yourself, and unless they're going to get real hot, nylock nuts work great in a pinch).

I agree with Greimann, the tire repair kit and 12 volt mini-compressor are invaluable. I've repaired a flat on the roadside without even removing the wheel from the car with this setup. I'd forget the fix-a-flat can. I've heard and seen evidence that the material in those cans is corrosive to the inside of alloy wheels and that clumping can unbalance the wheel.

A cross-lug wrench is nice because it's fast and can also be used with its 17mm and 19mm ends for other bolts (brake calipers, etc) while serving as its own breaker bar, and some aftermarket wheels have a different lugnut hex size than those for the stock steel spare.

If you're running larger aftermarket alloys with lots of offset and spacers, consider using the spare from an RX-7, the 4x4.5" bolt circle, aluminum spoked version (early 2nd gen??). It's light and the generous offset should match-up better than the stock spare to your other three for your limp home. DAW

I carry a shallow tool box 3" deep max. Long enough to carry a 1/2 drive torque wrench for properly tightening lug nuts.

I also carry the most common metric sockets for the car, open ended wrenches 10, 12, 13, 14 large flat screw driver, philips head, spare wire, spare aligator jumpers, electric tape, duct tape, vice grips, spare clamps, fuses and even a couple of glow sticks!!.. ya never know when the battery might fail!!

Sounds like a lot, but it gets me out of a lot of jams.. ie like when i was popping I/C hoses!! hehehe

I carry it around all the time. as well as a couple of body colour matching towels to lay on the fenders!! Ya I'm sick.. not easy finding black bath towels!

Not that my car is unrelieable.

But it has saved my butt a couple of times, as well as fellow Z'rs at a club event.

Hehehe what is funny, is I don't carry a jack or spare tire!!! Bwahahaha (car is too low anyways.)

:D

Welp, the reason I'm trying to keep things minimized is that I hinged the rear deck between the shock towers so I can make use of those two wells where the back seat would be. It looks ok, but the chrome trim at the front needs a better bolting system. I used blind nuts, which is a good idea, but the holes in the front of the (cardboard) are boken out like a slot, so the whole nose piece might pull off.

Too bad there isn't enough room for the battery in the wells- unless you make room.

i carry a first aid kit with those space snacks, a griot unfolding sack with a set of 1/4 metric sockets, a 10mm flare wrench, some ripties, that stuff that you can tie up hoses with, some wire, crimpers, posi locks, flares, tire inflator, a multi meter and a test light, an extra belt, a screwdriver with the pull out bits that work well on hose clamps,

and some rtv. fuses, always have extra fuses.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest silverbullet

Don't forget the most important thing with the first gen. Z's:an A/B/C fire extinguisher,I could handle the inconvenience of being broke down and having to get a tow,but I would truly cry if my baby burned cry2.gif