HybridZ

Utility Vehicle - Haulin' parts

xonix_digital

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think "will it haul an engine" is an issue. I mean most vehicles' GVWR allows them to haul a few hundred pounds on top of the weight of the passengers. So you figure a that Raider allows for 3 passengers plus the driver. Put them all at 200lbs each and you get the idea. An engine would be no problem. However space-wise I doubt that little Raider would fit the bill.

D22 Nissan/Datsun hardbody/Navara, I had a LWB 2wd one and hauled engines, also had the rear wellside deck FULL to the brim with builders mix gravel and it travelled without any problems, a little slow on the stop when you hit the brakes... But hauling a ton or so over it's rated load, thats to be expected. Or get the 710, the model before the D22.

Even a little honda City will haul an engine or two if you pull the back seats out, or a Nissan S-Cargo, which is made for hauling stuff, through those have a rear door body, not a tray.

I hauled a L28 and a fold up engine hoist in the back of a MKIII Supra so dont give me this GVWR......

NICE! I would have loved to have seen that!

Too bad i don't live in the woods like I used to. (NE VT)

We used to be able to drive anything with wheels and get away with it.

Now I have to worry about laws and safety and all that nonsense.

pfffffft

I personally use my '92 Cherokee 2 dr. to haul old Datsun parts around in. It weighs less than 3000 lbs, has a tight turning radius, one of the most reliable drivetrains around, the back seat folds down flat for lots of covered cargo space, and I can tow with it. I towed my Z home on a car dolly and I hauled the 510 home on a trailer with my XJ too. I've filled the back with engine blocks on a number of occasions, cylinder heads, you name it.

Oh, and you can buy one for dirt cheap if you look hard enough. They are pretty much at the bottom of the curve right now.

Other than that I'd recommend a cheap pickup truck. I once owned a little Dodge D-50 (Mistubishi) that was a great, simple truck.

I think that a Shop truck should be a little gas miser but can haul a few Big Block Ford engins and do ninety at least,LOL!

And have a cool paint scheam and a kickin sound system, cool wheels and a loud exaust. Just for kicks.

1986 Dodge ram D50, 1957 Ford F100, 1951 Dodge Power Wagon ( for when I have to move somthing heavy)

Get an old Chrysler minivan. Dirt cheap and you can lock stuff up inside it. And if something goes wrong with it, leave it by the side of the road and buy another.

Some even had the Turbo 2.2 engine which, with a few simple mods, can make 250hp.

Edited by johnc

Get an old Chrysler minivan. Dirt cheap and you can lock stuff up inside it. And if something goes wrong with it, leave it by the side of the road and buy another.

Some even had the Turbo 2.2 engine which, with a few simple mods, can make 250hp.

All of what John said is true. However, if you have any pride at all (I don't) you won't buy one. Older Nissan/Toyota/Mitsubishi/Isuzu pickups are somewhat cheap and should get decent mileage. Around here my main choice would be the S-10 simply due to availability. I'm a HUGE fan of the Datsun 620 pickup, but they simply don't exist in these parts :roll:

Davy