HybridZ

Got in an accident... What to do :(

Here are the pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2706209730063370706pYwjLL

The front rad support is bent (not THAT bad, but it made the fan get stuck till I discovered it). Other then that.. Pass. headlight is cracked, headlight buckets, fenders, hood, grille, bumper, turn signal lense and housing, front valance, and the front wings for the hood and bumper.I took care of the insurance stuff and they are working out an estimate and if they will total it or not. Look at some of the pics on the beginning pages to see the rust areas and let me know what you think. At this point I am some what considering flying to california and driving one home.. Just looking for some opinions, let me know what you would do.

Thanks, Elliot

Do not accept a check if the insurance chooses to total your car!!!

The problem is the repair most likely will be greater than agreed value, when that happens they normally wish to total and turn the title into a slavage...

Consult an attorney in your area before signing anything.

John

I dont know think anything will happen with the title. The only reason any of the insurance stuff is coming into play is because he admitted to hitting me. This car only has general liability and the least at that. This is his insurance company im dealing with, but I will be sure to ask before I sign. Thanks for the tip.

Oh yeah forgot to add. The condition of the car isn't all that great. It needs doglegs, rear 1/4 panels ( someone grafted on fiberglass ones ontop of the existing metal, so probably inners too), hatch sill, metal behind the front strut housing (right above where it mounts), and a small hole in the frame in the engine bay. It is not a perfect car by any means. This was my project.

Ok his insurance cannot total it, they will however try to lowball you big time... I would have a couple shops give you estimates in advance...This way you have a good idea of cost involved.

Since it is a project keep projecting!

John

Need to fix the brakes? If that was a joke it was a very poor attempt.. Not much you can do when someone jumps out infront of you crossing your lane.. The guy simply didn't look. Try reading, then insult. Anyway.. Anyone asking for more pictures, just explore my web shots album, there are like 90 pictures of the car from the time I got it to about now. I have cleaned the car up a lot, the engine bay is very clean. If anyone is interested, feel free to make me some offers.

Here is a link to more pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562590375hsIsRE

Thanks, Elliot

Guest Rolling Parts
...Not much you can do when someone jumps out infront of you crossing your lane..

Not an insult at all, just such happens ALL THE TIME down here.

I agree with Sketch_hs, looks fairly straight forward. If nothing else a front airdam might be easier than finding a front bumper.

The car is done for... They want to total it and give me like $600 and then 60% of that... because they are saying I am 40% at fault... What do I do?

you can decline there offer or sell it to them and buy it back. It will still have a clean title b/c cut off on titles now is 1996 to make it a salvage title.

I say decline there offer and fix the car.

Yeah, but If i decline thier offer what does that do for me? I get no money and a car with a clean title?

you get no money and a wrecked car you may be able to haggle and get less. work out a deal with them that you get junk yard parts and they only pay for that so your not totally put out. For now on dont use full on a car of that age or get collector car insurance like hagerty or grundy

$600, HELL NO. decline that offer. take your car to a shop and have an estimate. give them the quoted estimate. OR you can find another 240z and show them how much it will cost to buy another one.

The way insurance works on totals is if the repair will cost more than 3/4 what the car is worth they will pay you the 3/4. On a car as old as that they sometimes go to half off book value. The way they see it is its an old car not worth fixing. They have to make money somehow. I build totals for a living and you wont believe the amount of easy fixes I get that got totaled.