HybridZ

Interesting issue i came across with my 71' 240z

we just got shafted from the good stuff...

And you were shopping for a new 240Z back in 1972?

The original good stuff and even better good stuff is all available right now in the aftermarket and from Nissan. It doesn't matter what was available on the car 39 years ago unless you're doing an original restoration. If you're building the car the way you want it then lots of suspension parts are available to build it anyway you want.

I'd follow John's advice and get the Suspension Techniques bar. I had a bar like Owen has, bought it from MSA, and only after years of driving did I realize that the bar was hitting the frame rail and binding up badly, which is not good.

I agree that the rear bar is an absolute must on anything but the stiffest sprung Z cars. Especially when you get sticky tires on the car, the harder you push, the more body roll, the more loss of negative camber you'll have.

totally agree, i just meant the Japanese Domestic Market, always keeps all the good stuff in their home court, us here in North America we get the left overs. I see it a lot with honda, mazda, nissan, whatever....

sorry to be off topic, but i'll be definitely looking for a good sway bar... thanks guys

i notice alot of z guys tend to put those on the rear because it's a hot set up."yeah dude i have a rear sway bar too".never taking on the track.if your street driving a nice front set up is good.some good struts and springs will work.an early Z doesn't need a whole lot of upgrades to be a fun driver.people tend to over modify these little cars.really it's not that necessary.people were driving the heck out of these cars with the stock set up.

my car is still on jack stands but once i have it on the ground i will let you know... my buddy has a Z and its about sitting with a 3 in drop... no scrapping of any sort. his is exhaust is kinda low and it gets close, just adjusting the hanger will make it better.

i wouldnt go past 4 in. thats a little over kill

• 1 month later...

JohnC:

Is that true for stock 240's, or does it also apply to a car with a built 350 in it? I have noticed the understeer. Wouldn't shifting some weight rearward (relocate the battery for instance) help with understeer and rear wheel traction?

I absolutely bow to others knowledge and experience and suggest the simplicity of the ST setup. If interested in the factory location type bar, the retrofit Nissan Motorsports installation kit pn is 99996-E4010. You'll receive two bolt in brackets that should be tack welded at least with supplied rubber bushings for a 20mm rear bar off any of the '73-'78 Zs. Urethane can be purchased extra not instead of from Energy Suspension. Not sure but the 2+2 models may have a bigger rear diameter as well. Listen to the advice about contact if your car is very low