HybridZ

Auto or Manual?

How many lsx guys here are running an auto trans?

Benefits/downfalls...overall consensus, what have people liked more?

Im starting my project and want to go lsx, debating whether or not to go manual or auto tranny, I've driven stick all my life, and love it entirely, but finding auto motor and trans is much easier to do than finding a t56, and getting a totaled auto car, then buying manual tranny etc can become very costly. Just wanted to know how people liked their setups and anything I should know about.

Guest Gr8White

I've driven stick all my life, and love it entirely,

I asked the same question a few years ago since I was in the same boat. With this kind of question you usually wind up answering the question yourself in your post....I went with the T-56 but I'm yet to drive the car. I'm looking forward to it.

I went with automatic for a few reasons, one being this was a good deal on a drive train that was in very good shape before the PO crashed. If I came across a good LS1 with a T56 at that time I would have went that route. Since, I went with the 4L60E I started doing some reading on paddle shifters, (Twist Machine, Mastershift) and that is in the plan after I get the car up and running. Finally, my C5 is 6 speed and rowing gears is fun, but I have no regrets not waiting for a LS1/T56 and or buying a 6 speed.

I have a Gen1 v8, and run a T56 and enjoy it greatly. It's tough and bulletproof. I'd like to chime in though and point out that a v8 Z doesn't need a manual to provide startling performance, especially around town - flat torque curves are considered "good" for a reason. Most of the time I shift 1-3-5, and maybe 6 if I'm going over 60 for any distance. Modern automatics are reliable, available, and easy to deal with. Most any ratios are just fine with a light car, locking tc's provide excellent cruising efficiency, and an aggressive shift kit can grab a gear faster than a clutch any day. Finally, I can tell you without reservation that rowing a 6-speed is great, but gets old real quick on a Thursday afternoon in August in stop-and-go traffic.

Once you put a v8 in a Z car, you are not going to have a boring ride, no matter your choice.

I have an auto (4L60e) in my LSx S30, but I never really considered a manual tranny as an option. I have several reasons, mainly due to the fact that my left knee has been replaced so when its cold out I couldn't imagine having to push a clutch pedal.

Also I like the simple ease of having an automatic. They are consistent and nice for just cruising and not having to worry about having to shift, especially in stop and go traffic.

Lastly I enjoy drag racing from time to time, its a fact that auto can 60' better than manuals, plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong manuals are fun too, but my dad has always had a saying since the 70's: "Manuals are for impressing High School kids, automatics are for winning races."

There is one issue I forgot about once I put the drivetrain in the car. I do not know about the T56, but the 4L60E transmission pan out of the F-body does not have a drain plug. You have to drop the whole pan to change the transmission fluid. To make it easier to change fluid,you either install a drain plug kit or change out the pan to one with a drain plug. I plan on changing to a pan with a drain plug. It would be easier to drill the pan, but I can not confirm on the F-body forums if the drain plug kit (nut and bolt) interferes with transmission filter.

There is one issue I forgot about once I put the drivetrain in the car. I do not know about the T56, but the 4L60E transmission pan out of the F-body does not have a drain plug. You have to drop the whole pan to change the transmission fluid. To make it easier to change fluid,you either install a drain plug kit or change out the pan to one with a drain plug. I plan on changing to a pan with a drain plug. It would be easier to drill the pan, but I can not confirm on the F-body forums if the drain plug kit (nut and bolt) interferes with transmission filter.

My stock 4L60e tranny from a 2004 GTO has a factory installed drain plug (stamped aluminum) and holds an extra quart over the truck pan.

Guest Gr8White
have any of the auto guys posted up Quarter Mile Times, id love to see auto/manual comparisons with similar mods etc, to see who has quicker times or higher traps

If the primary consideration is whether you want your car to be faster at the track than a comparably powered car, then the Auto is the way to go. If the tranny is built and stalled correctly then the automatic will always be faster and really torch the manual in the 60 foot. The question I asked myself when pondering this was what would I be happier with away from the track? If you are like most then 90% of your driving will be away from the drag strip. My decision was easier because I already have a drag car. If I want to go fast then I take the Stang. I'm yet to drive my Z with the T-56, but I can tell you that if I want to have fun, I will be taking the Z (from my experiences with the 5 speed manual).

I can tell you that when I converted my 5 speed Mustang to a C4 auto, the car responded and I dropped two tenths of ET in the eighth mile and over four tenths in the quarter. I drove the 5 speed hard and always changed tires at the track and ran on slicks (I drove it to and from the track) and finally broke the output shaft one night (Tremec TKO) with a 5K clutch drop- My point is that as hard as I was hammering it I still couldn't ET with the auto. The 60' was the difference every time.

The car was faster, but not as fun (by a long shot). After buying my Z and weighing all of this, the choice was easy. There are times when driving my Mustang I feel like a passenger, when I had the 5 speed I always felt like I was driving. You can still win races with a manual and there is a sense of accomplishment in driving it to a win- at least there was for me.

I went with the auto, not only for ease of driving in city, but it's nice to be able to drop the hammer and just hold on until you lift or see God. ;) There are benefits to the 4L60E when comparing them to the older transmissions. As mentioned, since they are all electronically controlled, shift points, lockup, etc and call be programmed and a paddle shifter setup can be used.

I'm of a different opinion, as I like working the gears on a road course, but with the crazy power/weight ratio of and LSX S30, there isn't really much of a downside to the auto setup. It's purely a personal preference, IMHO.

I think there is more of an initial cost going with the manual transmission over an overdrive automatic too.

A decent 4L60e with converter can be had for $800-1000 at most.

A runable T-56 will set you back $800-1000 also, but then you got to spend another $500+ on the flywheel, clutch, master cylinder, etc.

Just something else to consider.