HybridZ

What else should I remove?

ratedZ

Hey guys, how's everything in the land of hybridZ's?

This weekend, I will be removing some things that I don't want on my 83zxt to hopefully remove some weight and clean up the engine bay.

Things I will remove:

Power steering pump ect.

Cruise control

AC pump and everything else that's part of the system (it'll be hot as hell in Vegas next year but a small price to pay for the gains.)

Should I remove anything else? How about in the interior? I wish I had the money to replace the bumpers to fiberglass pieces, but I'm spending my money on the engine at the moment.

Also, is it hard to drive Z's with no power steering?

Thanks all and happy Z'ing! cheers.gif

Before you remove the power steering pump I would suggest you remove the belt and take it for a test drive. A disabled power steering acts nothing like manual steering it takes way more effort. Most cars are near undriveable without the pump working. To each his own on the A/C but I'm in Florida and can't live without it.

Mike you may want to look into converting your steering to rack and pinion from a 79' zx, I'm not sure how much work it will be as most people are doing the opposite and getting rid of the rack and pinion in favor of the power steering.

As for the inside of the car what can go but you may miss more than your AC is you speakers, if you feel you still need some tunes get some little cheapies and put those big boat anchors you have into your SUV. If you have roadside assistance you can dump your jack and spare for a can of fix-a-flat. Beyond that you are starting to get as extreme as me which may make your car a little uncomfortable to drive every day.

Dragonfly

Guest Anonymous

If you are braving the heat without air conditioning, you may want to remove all rhe air conditioning plumbing insode the car which can be substantial in weight.

Guest Night_rider_383

Just some ideas. I'm removing/replaceing all i list plus more on my 78 trans am. The weights i list is for my trans am but will give you some idea

pull up carpet and underpadding 50 lbs $free

install light weight speaker boc type carpeting

(all 3 rolls 5 lbs $25.58 3- 36''x72'' rolls of ozite black lightweight carpet (wal-mart)

remove back seat 38 lbs $free

replace front seats with poly race buckets my oem seats 68 lbs, race seats with covers 28 lbs $170 with covers and shipping from summit

remove rear seat belts no weight yet $free

replace front seat belts with 5 point belts no weight yet $60-300 depending on if you want 1 or 2 and if you want latch or cam lock type

remove driver and pss sun visors, keep pair of sun glass in car

Removed all ductwork, vents.. etc

Fiberglass dash (home made from fiberglass cloth and resin)

Removed heater/AC switch panel, and wiring

Removed ash tray, glove box and glove box door

Exterior:

1 pc. fiberglass front clip

Removed front and rear side marker lights

Removed side mirrors

Removed rear tag flip down bracket

Removed taillights, steel behind lights, - installed sheet metal filler panel and corvette taillights

Replaced steel trunk floor with flat sheet metal

Removed gas tank and all fuel supply and return lines.

Installed Fuel Cell / Pump / .5 aluminum line.

Lexan front and rear windshields (home made from $70 sheets of lexan).

Front sway bar removed.

Emergency brake entirely removed from drums to pedal.

Innards removed from front bumper

Fiberglass trunk lid. (home made from fiberglass matting and resin)

Removed trunk latch, spring rods, and hinges

Removed door braces

Under Hood:

Removed Hood latch and all supporting items.

Removed wheel wells.

Removed power steering gear box and pump - installed S-10 man. steering gear box

Installed Aluminum radiator.

Made and installed tube core support

Only wire harness under hood is homemade - and only for the engine and headlights.

Removed ENTIRE heater and AC systems.

Electric fan.

Replaced pont. 400 engine with a chevy 327

Alum. heads

Alum. intake

Alum. water pump

Mini stater

Replaced oem exhaust system with headers, dual 3'' pipes, flowmaster mufflers

Removed power brake booster - converted to man. brakes

Replaced cast iron master cyl. with an alum./plastic master cyl.

Driveline

3'' tube alum. driveshaft

Alum. rear brake drums

10'' torque converter

Some of this wont work for you like the alum. rear brake drums, replacing heavy pont. engine with chevy, etc but you get the idea

If your going to remove the power steering the you will want pump the fluid out of it and it should more like it was a true manuel setup. The amin difference will be the ratios are different with the manuel and the power setup.

Not that you can't do what ever you want but, I really don't see a benifit from removing the airconditioning and stuff. I mean how much weight are you going to be taking off? Why not just up the boost a hair and you'll be in the same ratio for your power to weight. You've got a nice car. Do you really want to gut it and lose some of the functionality of the car for such a little gain. It's not like you live in North Dakota or something. Just some thoughts not trying to be pissy or anything.

• 2 years later...

Hmm well what you going to use your car for

here in holland you are obligitory to have a heater/defog in your car, and heat can be great if you even want to drive your tops off haha...

as for the Cruise control.. il leave that, as it is quite confortable, powersteering will stay aswel on my project as 235/45 tires upfront and parralel parking .. like suggested i would go to a manual rack, i have a 79 coupe with a manual rack and that is doable with 225's

anyway by shaving the rear bumper like i did you save weight, as this turbo is a US spec the bumpers weigh in like lead ( compared to eurobumpers)

Damn boosted the topic :P Failed to realize this is from 2002 when I posted hehe.

I vote remove cruse control, I did on both my zx's and just did on my friends 300zxt - we never used em, I dont use it on my caprice (wish it worked sometimes).. None of them EVER worked on 4 cars!

How about a after market cruse control, an electronic unit that doesnt need vac or a big clunky looking thing, something I can hide inside under the dash :)

How did you shave the bumper frank280zx? My last one was taken off (it was rusted on) to put the msa aero 1 kit on, thats why the cars totaled (rear ended by a mini van)..

There are a ton of things you can remove, basically anything that doesnt make the car run or drive :) All that other stuff is just for looks or luxury hehe.

Guest Ground Rat
Dont forget to only wear your underwear when driving. A light weight key chain wouldnt hurt either!

Hahahahahaha