HybridZ

I got a fuel injection problem

s!lvias30

Ok my 1978 280z is having fuel issues , I know for sure that it is because of my injectors because I have fuel pressure and my fuel pump is work correctly. The question is how do I check them, I took each of them out and tested them with a battery and they all "click" and at clean, also I left them in a cup of fuel for like 2hours (to clean them) now after that I had put them back on and turned on the key but with the injectors out to see if they spray, and they didn't . So I checked if I was getting power in my injector connectors and I was!!!! What do I do now????? Also I know none of my lines are clogged because I checked them also . So what should be my next step???? Are my injectors suppose to spray when there not connected to the head and everything else connceted right??

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok are the injectors suppose to start clicking once you turn on the key????

What do you mean by "turn on the key?" Do you mean you're turning the key to the ignition on position? Or are you actually cranking the engine? If you're just turning it to the on position, are you expecting it to spray fuel without the engine actually rotating?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

You know for sure your injectors are malfunctioning because your fuel pump works?? I don't think soaking them in fuel will clean them. The injectors won't spray unless the engine is running.

How did you narrow it down to your fuel system? You might want to describe the symptoms you are experiencing so we can help you diagnose the problem.

My harness was burn up by where my harness goes into the firewall in the drives side so I went and made a brand new one with new clips and wires , it took for ever like 3 days I know my harness is good bcause I made it exactly like the fsm print I did on a 1978 280z And I got a new ecu actually 3 ecu's so the harnessis good I check each injector one by one to see if they "click" and they each did work perfect now I check if there was spark I was getting blue spark , I got new blaster and new plugs and wires . My motor turns over but only turns on when I spray starter fluid and then turns off , my fuel pump is ran by a switch straight by the battery and I got a new pump also , I'm getting fuel but I think my fuel injectors are not spraying that's why maybe it's my fuel injection relay because my motor only turns on when I spary starter fluid and pour gasoline in my manifold . Tomorrow I'm buying the relay so I hope that's the issue and a fuel filter, any advise ????

Sorry I didn't respond to the other one earlier and before you buy a relay I had the same problem with my 75 all the same symptoms exactly. I had a New ECU and FI relay and everything everything was good for fuel and I checked all the wires, but it still didn't run so I gave up because I need to get it running, but I kept everything for later. Anyways I swapped out for a four barrel conversion and had a two barrel race carb. But I had asked many questions had guys look at it and could never figure it out. I even took apart the hole harness and looked for cracks etc etc.

Good luck on finding out what it is, your best bet at the moment would to go through and check everything with a voltmeter using the FSM even the Dropping resistors I think mine might have been bad I don't know? but anyways good luck.

Edit: I Re read your first post, and was wondering do you have new or used injectors?, If new they might be stuck and might need a little tap but not hard you don't want to hurt them, If old they could be clogged up by crap in your tank. to check if this could be possible take off your fuel filter and tap it on the ground some and try and shake it out and see if any gunk comes out. If it comes out the end going to the injectors you most likely have clogged injectors.

yea it ran before , it burned up because i was driving my car with out a down pipe , its was turbo so it heated everything up and burned the wires , i replayed the harness tho, also i bought a new relay today it was only $23 so tomorrow i will see if the was the issue , no there not new injectors , but i made sure they were clicking , tomorrow i will ckeck if i have gunk in the filter but i bought a new filter also .....i will keep updating everything i have done to find out why its not working , so far new wiring harnes i made , new filter , new spark plugs and wires , new fuel pump , new ecu and new dropping risitors , tomorrow i will pick up the fuel injection relay and install it

ok some one please tell me how many volts is each connector to the injector suppose to have??? i need a DIY for checking exactly if im getting any power in my wire harness, because im not getting any fuel !!! i have a fuel pressure gauge and it is reading 40psi and thats enough , i dont know what are the next steps i should take in order to find out whats going on ..... if there is any one near orlando florida that can help please pm me !! im going crazzy ...... what can my problem be ???

1. got fuel 40psi

2 .fuel pump works good, on a switch straight to the battery

3.battery have 13volts

4.new fuel filter

5. no gunk in the fuel lines , i check really good

6.new fuel injection main relay

7. new wiring harness

8 new ecu, and 2 extra ones also

9.new sprk plugs, wires , and checked timing

10. new maf aka efi, with 2 extra ones

11. new blaster

12. no vacum leak

13. check for spark and its coming out blue and a little yellow

14. i dont hear the injectors clicking at all

15. checked and took off each injector and cleaned them and used wires and a 12volt battery and then heard them click and i put gas in them and they where squrting.

honestly i have done alot , i have a feeling im not getting any fuel because im not hearing the injectors click , also how do i check if im getting power to my harness and power to my ecu , when should i be able to here the injectors click??? , please i need step by step actions that i need to take in order to fix my problem , thanks you can text me for quicker response or email , 321 3560874 zunigasamuel8@gmail.com

• Administrators

Do you have a service manual of any sort? i.e. Haynes manual?

Have you looked through the online Z car EFI bible? If not, search this forum for "EFI bible".

These 3 links cover the rest.. :wink:

http://forums.hybridz.org/misc.php?do=cfrules

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131518

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=139501

If you have fuel pressure and power to the injectors. When checking for spray, smack the injectors with a big screwdriver. They may just be stuck, very common. That's laymen terms. Hopefully you understand it but I've been up for 2 days and now a couple too many beers.

Ok efi bible has nothing to do with the injectors not firing, also injectors are not stiluck I made sure 100%

The EFI or Electronic Fuel Injection bible has everything to do with the injectors not firing. Find a download for it or buy the CD it will help you with everything you need to know, like trouble shooting.

Ok efi bible has nothing to do with the injectors not firing, also injectors are not stiluck I made sure 100%

Well then, what can you do with that?:icon56:

It does tell you that the injectors are triggered each third spark event. That means the car has to be cranking to get the injectors 'clicking'... that also means that you have spark events occurring, and with the injectors out of the rail, nice finely atomized fuel spraying everywhere.

If you truly believe they are not 'clicking' then disregard the following: Keep a BIG fire extinguisher handy.

Crank the engine over and see if they blow fuel. It's that simple. If you have no ignition events, then you won't get fuel. So despite being 100% sure it's fuel, you probably overlooked that part that without a functioning distributor AND functional coil with a field collapsing and producing a spark, you will not get fuel.

Just a thought from someone who's read that EFI Bible. Good Luck. Don't forget your Nomex!