HybridZ

Interesting offer (long and boring)

Chaparral2f

Last night an old friend who I have known for about fourty years made me an offer that I found really interesting. Jerry has been racing nostalgia dragsters (since before they were "nostalgia") for years until he has finally decided that he's getting too old. (he's 69) That's the background.

Anyhow here's the deal. He has a 392 Hemi fueler engine that has been sitting in his shop for quite a while. It's his spare for his fuel dragster. The engine hasn't been run since it was built a couple years ago. He said it should make about 1800 hp or a little more depending on how hot the fuel mixture is. Last night he offered it to me for about a dime on the dollar of what he has into it, and I told him I'd think it over. I really would like to have it though I have no idea why. I'd have to borrow the money (@$1300) to buy it, and I am trying to justify it. Right now, I'm leaning toward doing it, and the best excuse I can come up with is that I'd probably have the quickest Z anywhere.

Why do I see myself having to move into my garage when my wife finally decides she's had enough??

When we were working out of the shop in Santa Ana, the Precision Powdercoating Olds DCRE engine spares were under the shop tables we were using to work on... and the spare tube chassis was slung into the rafters.

It was always "Hey Monty, what you going to do with these bullets? Let's put one in one of my Z's and go to Bonneville..."

For the price... I'd put it under the bench, eventually you will find something to use it in... Maybe a Hillman Imp or something interesting that is just so wrong it makes sense to do it! That is what that kind of engine is destined to be great in!

After spending time looking at the situation rationally, I decided that owning a fuel burning engine that has a rated life of about 3 miles would be a stupid move. So this afternoon I sent my pal a check for $1350. I'll pick up the engine in the spring when I go back to see him. Maybe by then I'll have some idea what to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
After spending time looking at the situation rationally, I decided that owning a fuel burning engine that has a rated life of about 3 miles would be a stupid move. So this afternoon I sent my pal a check for $1350. I'll pick up the engine in the spring when I go back to see him. Maybe by then I'll have some idea what to do with it.

I love this. I think i'll have to trim it and sig it