HybridZ

Bumper rip off?

I believe the correct answer is "it depends".

It depends on whether you have a 260 or a 280. If it's a 260, it depends on whether it's an early '74 or a late '74.

It depends on what kind of mounting hardware you're using to install the 240 bumpers.

It depends on whether the bumpers you're installing are compatible with the current body contours of your car.

It depends on whether you want a "stock" look, or a "custom" look, on your front end.

Not trying to be a smart-aleck....it all just boils down to your particular project, and your particular goals for it.

Do some searching in the "Body Kits and Paint" forum to see what other members have done with their front ends. Lots of good ideas to plagiarize!

Good luck and happy motoring.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful car JHM!!!!

On the other hand, my car is filthy from being garaged.

But I'll play along here, I have my set-up that was quite nice looking until rich witch mcgee decided to roll into my car with her big diesel, bent my cover piece, and scratched the paint, and forced me to ziptie it on. You guys also might enjoy my blacked out turn signals (yes they are still visible) And I'll throw in a photo of my intake hiding behind the grill.

You be the judge, just ignore the dirt, and the block heater, it gets below 0 here and we need it.

IMG_1071.jpg?t=1259994605

IMG_1070.jpg?t=1259994630

IMG_1069.jpg?t=1259994654

-sean

Thanks for the kind words, Sean.

Sorry to hear about your front end damage....that's a real drag. Hope you're able to get her back in shape soon!

Is that a plug from a block heater I see peeking out of your front grill? We (fortunately) don't have to worry about such things down here in Virginia...just bugs, heat, and humidity (oh yeah...and hurricanes!)

Thanks for the kind words, Sean.

Sorry to hear about your front end damage....that's a real drag. Hope you're able to get her back in shape soon!

Is that a plug from a block heater I see peeking out of your front grill? We (fortunately) don't have to worry about such things down here in Virginia...just bugs, heat, and humidity (oh yeah...and hurricanes!)

yup, we need the plugs for things like this :

IMG00111.jpg

Id take bugs and heat over snow anyday, not so hot on the hurricanes however.

your fan clutch? is that why mine sounds like a vacuum or fan when i touch the gas?

its the mechanical clutch for the fan, which usually changes depending on what the car tells it, but my clutch is broke, and its stuck on the highest setting, so whenever you touch the gas it gets really loud. and when its 0 degrees outside, it doesn't help the car to heat up very much

this is kinda off topic, but yeah there were two kinds of clutches, one what was basically a solid mounted fan, and the other what had a viscous fan clutch. Both are okay, but the viscous clutch is a little safer if anything ever gets jammed in it. MUCH MUCH more recommended is to convert it to an electric fan. that way the car warms up faster and you get about 15 more HP out of it. not to mention slightly better MPG.

Phar

this is kinda off topic, but yeah there were two kinds of clutches, one what was basically a solid mounted fan, and the other what had a viscous fan clutch. Both are okay, but the viscous clutch is a little safer if anything ever gets jammed in it. MUCH MUCH more recommended is to convert it to an electric fan. that way the car warms up faster and you get about 15 more HP out of it. not to mention slightly better MPG.

Phar

Oh ok, sounds good. Ill do some 'diggin'.

Phar

do you have a link to the install thread for that, I cant find it.

I just mostly finished taking off my bumpers, getting the little garnish on the back off so far has been the hardest, but I have yet to try to get the struts out, so I have some work ahead of me. I will try to get the weight of what has come off so far, which is pretty much everything except the rear bumper struts. Doesn't seem like much. But it looks so much better. Oh, as for the cold air, it makes a loud sucking noise, make the engine more distinct, but its nothing special (Yes, I have one)

Sometimes when im filling up at the gas station, or if im talking with someone and were next to my car, I always wish I had kept at least the rear bumper. I never really realized how much I used them till they were gone. I especially miss being able to sit on the while taking a break from working on the car...

Sometimes when im filling up at the gas station, or if im talking with someone and were next to my car, I always wish I had kept at least the rear bumper. I never really realized how much I used them till they were gone. I especially miss being able to sit on the while taking a break from working on the car...

Hence the name 'park bench' ;)

I haven't had mine long enough to make sitting on it a habit. Once I start working, if I take a break, it means I'm either mad or bored, so I don't really want to be near the car anyway, lol. I'm one of those retards who will get in and out of the car when I'm at the gas station, just make sure you discharge on your roof first.

You Ain't kidding, though!! Those asinine things were SO MUCH MORE USEFUL after I put them on than they were before I took them off. I have a 75 and I DDed it for almost a year before pulling them off (rear brackets left intact, nodoby wanted to get too close to my tail :)) About a year before my car went PFOOOF a cop pulled me over for not having bumpers on the car. (Actually, I went to jail over a warrant for failure to appear in court for a driving on suspended license charge that I had thought was already dealt with! so lesson: remove bumpers, could send you to jail!!) Anyhow, after that awful 24 hours, I got out and went to put the bumpers back on, and shortly thereafter I didn't know how I lived with my car without them. A somewhat ratty, daily driven 280Z DOES look uglier with its bumpers left intact.. but until I get going on other aspects of the car, the bumpers are not a huge concern for me anymore.

Just ask Pavlov why. Bumpers off, go to jail, Shawn no take bumpers off again!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My son try to cut one, try he finally did right you do have to removed the gas tank. It is just better to do it right. I also told my son to leave the rear one just for protection in case some one run into him in a stop and go, He laugh and said look at yours , talking about my 240 bumpers, really they are just for looks.

I took out my spare and took off my back bumper and i can feel the difference. I just need to find some nice 240z bumpers to install to finish it off.

Do you realize how rice that sounds? I can "feel" the difference? The what? 100 pounds? Don't believe it. I took it all out and didn't seem different at all. Just not huge ugly thing sticking off the car.

Do you realize how rice that sounds? I can "feel" the difference? The what? 100 pounds? Don't believe it. I took it all out and didn't seem different at all. Just not huge ugly thing sticking off the car.
yea my bumper are gone and the interior is gutted, ,took spare tire, jack everything but the steering wheel and driver seat ... cant notice much difference except i went to do a donut once and it was a little easier to break traction into the spin. other than that?... prolly better gas milage, like 2-3 mpg