HybridZ

How to Cut Stainless Fuel Lines

Miles

Guest Anonymous

Couple of ways to do this and not mess up the line. The way I do it is to wrap a couple of zip ties around the line and use a cut off wheel to cut as close as possible to one of the zip ties. This holds the braided part together. Some have also used packing tape to do the same things. I have also heard of hose clamps being used for the same purpose. Good luck. Mark

I asked the same question of the guy at Earls. Their hoses are always cut so cleanly. Anyway, he said to use a block of billet aluminum (yeah we all have those laying around), with a wide blade chisel (like the kind for cutting bricks). One swing of a hammer and 'Bob's your uncle'.

Haven't tried it myself, but he swears by it.

Tim

The high pressure lines that they use on Cat tractors are done with a hydrolic cutter and press. Afterwards, the ends are pressed on into position and crimped. Terry's approach is correct. 1st wrapping the end tightly with duct tape and then using a fine tooth hack saw blade to make your cut through the tape and braid. There is one additional trick to cutting braided line using the hack saw method. And its probably the most important...use 2 blades positioned side by side for a push and pull stroke! That is the real secret! That will elimenate the brades from being pulled apart as you proceed with your cut. Give it a shot...I think you'll be surprised at the result.

Comps, VAN 2thumbs.gif

Guest heinera

I need to add something. There is a much easier, faster, and cleaner way to do it. You need to wrap with any type of tape. I used electrical tape. Then usinging air powered rotary cutoff tool, just cut it where you want. By far, this is the best way I found to cut stainless braided lines. 2thumbs.gif

I use the cutoff wheel and wrap masking tape (1/4) wide tape) aroundthe spot I want to cut. I also install the line in a vice to help with getting a perpendicular cut to the line. That method worked out very well for me. I did not have to try to hold the line, and could concentrate on getting a strait cut, and more importantly not nail myself with the cutoff wheel. One thing about using the cutoff wheel, you will need to clean the inside of the line, and I guess with using a hacksaw as well, so you dont get any crap to the injector pinacles and plug the injectors.

I experimented with both the double hacksaw blade and rotory cutting wheel after wraping the steal braid with duct tape. Both methods worked well. Has anyone tried bolt cutters?

we are reinstalling the fuel tank in my son's 72 Z and I'll be replacing the line from the tank to the electric fuel pump with a stainless braided line. I am confident now that I can install the stainless line neatly cut using either a cutting wheel or hacksaw.

Thanks again for your input.

Miles