HybridZ

How much to weld in new floor pans and frame rails

I couldnt find any pricing on the forum

How much has it run people to replace floor boards and upgraded bad dog frame rails

Im just talking labor, I talked to my auto body guy, and he checked out the forum, and saw a write up, he estimated 12 hours a side, and a grand total of a 1200-1500 dollar bill. He said if it can be done in less time to let him know and we can work out a plan.

Does anyone in the tristate know how to do this themselves? If you can make a house call im willing to pay.

If not, what have shops charged you for welding in floor pans and the upgraded rails? Also, what exactly did they do to justify that price, cut out boards and rails then welded new ones in etc.

Anyone know a good place in North NJ area?

Im just talking labor, I talked to my auto body guy, and he checked out the forum, and saw a write up, he estimated 12 hours a side, and a grand total of a 1200-1500 dollar bill. He said if it can be done in less time to let him know and we can work out a plan.

That's a pretty good estimate. I usually estimate $600 to $800 per side but that doesn't include seat mounts. I've never rebuilt or installed new OEM style seat mounts in the pans I've done. Customers have always asked for something custom to fit their non-stock replacement seats.

I know someone who got their car painted, and the shop charged $1000 to replace the driver side floor. I think the price was pushed up a little to make up on the total price to paint the car. It may be cheaper to have who ever is going to paint the car, do the floor work all at one time. I think time/material would be arounf $600 or so a side. Def more if the original seat rails are going to be used back. For now I would spend the $1500 towards getting parts for the lsx swap. Don't be in a rush to get "body work" done.

Another thought would be you can get a welder and some striaght metal and do it yourself. Once you learn to weld, the welder will pay for itself over and over. Coil overs come to mind ;)

I have done it for two other people, plus myself. If they bring me the Zedd Findings floor kit, it's only 6 hours per side to do, if I'm forming the floors from sheet stock and rails from tubing, it's a solid 10 hours per side.

I'm no professional, though. Nor have I ever been able to just cut an weld to the original seam points; that would make it go faster. Make no mistake, doing the floors isn't really hard, but it does take a lot of time to make the new ones fit properly and be structurally sound. My method uses some sheetmetal screws to hold the floor in place during welding, so that as you stitch the floors in, the sheetmetal doesn't move too much.

We'll I would have the new floor pans already, that are made for drop in and welding. The only part i be nervous about doing is the frame rails. Cutting those out and welding the new ones in, sounds like quite a job.

I have done it for two other people, plus myself. If they bring me the Zedd Findings floor kit, it's only 6 hours per side to do, if I'm forming the floors from sheet stock and rails from tubing, it's a solid 10 hours per side.

I'm no professional, though. Nor have I ever been able to just cut an weld to the original seam points; that would make it go faster. Make no mistake, doing the floors isn't really hard, but it does take a lot of time to make the new ones fit properly and be structurally sound. My method uses some sheetmetal screws to hold the floor in place during welding, so that as you stitch the floors in, the sheetmetal doesn't move too much.

Its too bad you dont live near Knoxville. I got mine done for $600 for both sides. Flat pans and new beefy frame rails. Sweet deal. A low cut shirt and tight jeans go a long way.....

I hate you! ;) Just kidding. I see this work all the time at work.

My quote was 1500 labor here in Orlando when I looked at having my Z fixed. I can find fairly straight, complete cars for that kind of money.

like i said man, buy the premade stuff and mig welding will do just fine. but find somone that can weld/knows what theyre doing and needs some cash and offer em a couple hundred a side and youre good, its the rails i would be worried more about and thats why i say "someone that can weld/knows what theyre doing." And like your buddy said, spend the cash like that on other stuff not a cut and paste floor job. Hell if you want some floors you shoulda bought my shell as well and if need be steal the floors/ rails out of it for that price =)

• 2 weeks later...

I was tempted to have a bodyshop do my floor pans sometime in the next year or so to save me the hassle, but for $1200 + new pans I will do them myself and deal with it haha. I'm currently putting in a patch on the passenger side floor where the right rear seat mount goes. Previous owner tried to hide a decent sized rust spot...

MIG or TIG both work and take the same amount of time, especially trying to weld the new peice onto the old EXTREMELY thin metal... Went and bought some .23 wire for my MIG as the current .35 I use 90% of the time was way to thick to use on the factory floor pans. Burn straight through just trying to tack weld my patch plate in place...

Good luck with your new pan's, whichever way you choose to go.

Try reversing the polarity to electrode negitive. This is for low penetration welds. Most welding mach. can be switched in minutes just reverse the electrical leads in front of the spool. Most solid core mig is electrode positive for deeper penetration.

How can you say raped if you do not know the quality of work you are going to have done and what is prepped?

He's a big part of the local automotive community. I've seen quite a few cars that he did work on. Most recently- a quarter panel job on a 01' Civic coupe. It was my buddies car, and I saw the progress along the whole process. The attention to detail, thoroughness, and final outcome was outstanding.

Ohh God. I had a guy bring an S30 to me with this issue. He had the frame rails and pans, I only needed to take his completely assembled, drivable S-30 and install the pans.

I estimated ~$1000 and cringed at the thought that I was not going to make much money for my time on this job. This included reassembling and repainting the floor areas, to make his car completely assembled again.

Well... My fears were abated. Apparently this fella got the pans installed by a local muffler shop for $150 and thinks their work was great.

I have absolutely no problems with people shopping around. The thing I have come to learn is that people's definition of doing something correctly is a vast and wide. If I get another request, I will probably estimate even more money just so I can feel comfortable about making it worth my time.