HybridZ

1977 280z Daily Driven Project

what kind of grinding is it? My Passenger rear wheel side does it sometimes, a heavy grind in reverse sometimes and a noticeable rub/grind metal vs metal kind of grind off and on when driving, it vibrates the car between 45 and 65mph a bit? lol, I have the same problem lately, Im doing all my wheel bearings and U joints in the back and doing the diff bearings, hopefully its not the diff itself or its OBX time :/

Looks like a good fit

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a tight fit, I don't know if you can tell but the upper part is touching the door panel. It sounds like my half shaft came off and is clunking around back there (no this isn't it I checked when I went OMFG WHAT WAS THAT NOISE!)

I really hope its not the diff but I am almost certain it is. Nothing else I can see it could be. I don't think the exhaust banging on stuff would do that. Speak of exhaust I learn if I don't go SUPER slow over some speed bumps that it will slam the ground.

check the fluid levels?

I was thinking about changing the oil in the diff to see if that helps. I figure if I drain it and it has a silvery ting/chunks of metal then the diff is bad. Problem is have you ever refilled a diff or manual transmission in a vehicle? I know from experience its a PITA.

its not to bad, unbolt wait along time for the smelly fluid to come out, and then fight your way into the filler bolt and undo it and let a hose or a vacuum compressor to push the fluid in. I think diff is bad, when I go to fill it sometimes chunky metal slivers come out in the fluid :( obx time? I think so :P

Just and update, small but update, I decided to just pull the rest of the carpet. Passenger is worse than I knew, but I expected it to be worse. I am either going to save up and get a kit or make new support rails just for the sake of fixing it right. I am thinking of making my own out of like channel steel that would be stronger. 2 more days and it will be off to Indiana for me and the car. I am starting to think the noise is a U-Joint because of the way it does it constant clicking. I think the big crunches are from the needle bearings jamming up. I will rebuild the axles I guess. Other than that pics what I get a chance, will take some on trailer.

Just and update, small but update, I decided to just pull the rest of the carpet. Passenger is worse than I knew, but I expected it to be worse. I am either going to save up and get a kit or make new support rails just for the sake of fixing it right. I am thinking of making my own out of like channel steel that would be stronger.

I was in the same boat with my Z. Instead of scrapping the car, I'm going to replace the frame on both sides with 2x3 channel, and go from there. Rust free Zs (rust free anything, for that matter!) are pretty tough to come by. May as well fix the ol girl up properly, and improve a couple of things while I'm at it.

That's pretty bad but my holes are bigger, looks like yours has spread A LOT! That's gonna be some hard work. Hope you are ready for stripping the car bare.

000_0211.jpg

100_0949.jpg

This is how the car sits now, just dragged it into the shop for the first time since fall. All that snow makes it a ***** to push it in :)

Looks a lot more solid than mine. I still need to clean out the garage so I can get started on it. I decided I am just going to cut both of the floors out all the way with a cutting wheel and make new seat mounts and everything. May end up selling the seat I recently purchased just to get a matching pair too. Floors will just be flat and I am going to make my own custom rails.

Your car is like golden compared to mine. Somebody might want to talk me out of it but I am done with Z, I am tired of crap cars, I like them, but since I have determined people in this world are such ***holes that they have to hide crap so they can sell me a crap car for way to much. This car was basically 1300 down the drain. I looked at it good to. I hope I don't crash any of your computers because here comes a bajillion pictures. By the way, I know zedd findings order form says 299 but it says that is just a suggested price. Who has ordered from them? Is there a big difference in price when the contact you? I really think I am just going to buy a newer car and say screw it. There is a 200sx turbo for sale right now. Oh and before you see the picture of the battery tray. Yes, the rust goes through the firewall and into the engine bay as well as the wheel well.

66955702.jpg

82584801.jpg

95617958.jpg

13368105.jpg

21948451.jpg

23159855.jpg

71155768.jpg

67770472.jpg

31393190.jpg

11134948.jpg

22364068.jpg

53235119.jpg

73513530.jpg

Edited by ModernS30

Yea thanks, I was thinking of scrapping it. I am going to save this car. I don't want to cut up ANOTHER z. The dash is out and It goes up to the hole where the wiring harness goes through but ends there pretty much so I am just gonna through a huge flat peice of metal from there all the way to the back of the floors when I do it. I have to finish cleaning the garage first.

Holy crap thats a lot of rust...not trying to discourage, I just thought my 260Z had a lot of rust...

I'm sure you'll be one of the resident experts in the fabrication/welding forum by the time you finish. Good luck!

haha, I sure hope so. I can already weld and do a little bit of fabrication. I always say the best way to learn is hands on. I have got a start to it. I will be relocating the batter to the rear during this as well. May be doing some rewiring and might put a new fuse box in that uses bus style fuses instead of the little glass ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I AM FREAKING GITTY WITH EXCITEMENT! I happened to be over in MO for some stuff. I am in Cuba, MO right now. Going to be heading back to Indiana tomorrow. Browsing craigslist near here. 1972 240z shell, 295. I see floors and stuff. Battery box looks solid. Stripped down so I know I will be able to see all the rusty spots! Its only 27 minutes away from me or something. OMFG! I am buying this thing. I am going to buy it, rent a u-haul. Pay my dad a bit o gas money for the extra waste from the trailer and car. I am buying it! Sorry for the grammar here. It's freaking 3am where I am, which makes it 4 for what I am usually in. I am up on craigslist and I found a 240z shell. I can afford it. Its not even CLOSE to how rusty my car is. Its CHEAP AS NUTS! and I can even afford a u-haul to get it back to Indiana!!!! I can't help but post up on here. I have been busting but working on fixing the rust. Here is a shortcut. 280z wiring into 240z. Rewire lights to work. L28 and EFI into 280z. 280z front sheet metal on 240z, hatch, quarter windows. One problem is the door striker issue. I am going to have to find some 240z doors. Good news, 240z doors for sale in St. Louis! Maybe a double whammy? If not I will figure it out. The point is though, I want this car, I am going to be stubborn and force my dad to head that way because the reason I am out here in the first place is because we are here to get body parts for his race car! What do you guys think? Still has the l24 and 4 speed but the head is off and everything. Basically ready for it to come out with the picker. No dash, no wiring, hope it has tail lights or I am going to be pulling a custom. everything missing so I can get down and into detail with the rust. Just have to go buy a screw driver unless there is one in my dads truck. So I can poke the undercoating and sound deadening stuff. The prone areas just because it is a rust belt car. I am not sure what I am thinking right now but OMFG! I need somebody to be online and reply just so I know somebody heard me that's how excited I am. I forgot to add, the asking on the car is 295. I will be offering 200 if it is in the condition I think it is in!

Edited by ModernS30

Ok guys, here comes and update. I got lots of stuff cut off. I have a shop I can work in just right now its got my dads sprint car in the way so I am waiting till I can get over there. As far as right now this is all being done in my dads driveway so I cannot do to much at once. I got the battery box cut out. The firewall cut pretty much as far over as I am going to if I can. I still need to cut the upper part of the firewall so I can patch the entire thing. In the pictures you can see where I need to patch the rocker area on the outside and it will also need patching on the inside there. Also I learned the fender was welded to the car. One part I only took a picture after I cut it but you can see how I carefully cut the weld so I did not cause any damage to the body. The fenders are patched horribly so I am probably going to get new ones. I am hoping to get glass ones or carbon fiber if anybody ever makes some. If not I will just go with metal.

batteryboxenginebay.jpg

floorandfirewallwheelwe.jpg

weldedfender.jpg

weldedfender2.jpg

weldedfendercut.jpg

baremetalh.jpg

My new metal! Now this is budgeting and recycling all at the same time! I am so greet. :D

newsheetmetal.jpg

Edited by ModernS30

Damn dude, your PO really screwed you on that car, but at least you're getting it fixed. Is that dryer made out or iron or what? I went looking for discarded washers, fridges, and stuff for metal, but all of them were aluminum. I'm just gonna buy a bit of metal from the Ag shop. There is tons of extra metal just lying around from the plasma table that hasn't been moved all year, and Graham said he'll sell it to me because he was just gonna scrap it anyways.

Most dryers are steel. Hell the top part off the washer had a the beginning of a hole in it from rust. I just tossed that, its my dads old washer and dryer though. They were pretty crapped out so they are being reused. Honestly, call it a bad idea or ghetto or whatever. I really think its a fantastic idea, it is reducing waste and its saving me $$. The more of that I can save the more of it I can use for other things on the car. That hole is after I went at it for like a good few hours cutting out and stuff. I am going to be calling the PO sometime soon because we need to have a word.