HybridZ

The Virtue Z

Tanuki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So Today I thought I would just get the motor officially mounted, bolted in etc.

I keep messing with it a couple of mins at a time but I havent had anyone to help me with placement etc so I have just been putting it off.

I figured I could probably mount it if I just got patient so I did.

It took forever rocking the trans and motor moving it up, down, teetering it, pushing it back, and overall shoehorning it into the car.

Finally I got the motor mounts all lined up and in but then came the problem, The trans MOUNT IS NOT THE RIGHT ONE! I am pretty sure that Jason had a 73, and the mounts change between 70-72 and the 73+. So I guess It's time for another call to Mckinney to see if they ll break up a mount kit and sell me the Trans mount alone?

To Give you an idea, Here is as high up as the mount can go with both bolts threaded in maybe two turns?

Left:

P1030506.jpg

Right:

P1030505.jpg

I know the first thing anyone will say is, "Just drill it out," but the shape of this thing will not permit for a modification.

Here is my next worry, Not sure if the motor should tilt that much? The trans seems level though as does the shifter mount, so maybe it's fine?

P1030521.jpg

It is nice that I could get the hood on though again and it all seals right up!

P1030522.jpg

P1030524.jpg

That's definitely not a mount for a '73. The early mounts have vertical bolts (like you have) and the later mounts have horizontal bolts. The design is somewhat similar to how the front control arm bolts to the crossmember. You'd know if it was the wrong mount.

I sure couldnt get it to fit at any angle i tried. I suppose knowing its the right one gives me hope so I'll give it another go this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the Mckinney mounts. I removed the speedo drive out of the right side of the tranny and everything fit. I ended up cutting the front corner out of the mount on the right side to accommodate the extra room needed for the speedo drive.

Before...

4-26-09034.jpg

4-26-09033.jpg

After...

6-19-10031.jpg

6-19-10032.jpg

-004.jpg

6-19-10033.jpg

6-19-10034.jpg

6-19-10035.jpg

The tunnel might be a little spread out as well. Try and pull the two sides together.

Hope this helps :2thumbs:

Gord

Edited by gmac708

The tunnel might be a little spread out as well. Try and pull the two sides together.

Hope this helps :2thumbs:

Gord

Very helpful. It is funny because I called Mckinney on Tuesday and they told me how everything is laser measured and that the only way it would be off that way is either my chassis is tweaked from an accident or something of that sort, or they sent the wrong mount. BUT based on your post it just looks like its what they do all the time. I will probably send them your pictures as well as mine in order to get to the bottom of this.

Well i just talked to them again. He told me that part of the issue is that the mount is the old style and I need the new style. He is going to send me a new mount and says that should fix the issue.

I think part of the issue with yours Mac, is it looks like at some point your floor pan may have been replaced?

Gord,

I am also doing a RB25 transplant into my z. I have a later series 1971 240z (vents on the rear pillars). My stock trans mount perches look similar to yours. I looked at the pictures on McKinney's site. I beleive they used a similar chasis to mine. Their trans mount appears to allow room for the pinion assembly/speedo hook up on the trans. What model chasis do you have? Obviously I should contact McKinney to discuss this with them also.

Also, what did you do to remove the stock eltrical speedo pinion assembly from the rb transmission?

Thanks

Bonk

I think part of the issue with yours Mac, is it looks like at some point your floor pan may have been replaced?

I replaced the floors and the mounts (stock or Mckinney) fit the car perfect. My only problem was the speedo drive was in the way and was pushing engine over to the drivers side. Now everything is centered.

I replaced the floors and the mounts (stock or Mckinney) fit the car perfect. My only problem was the speedo drive was in the way and was pushing engine over to the drivers side. Now everything is centered.

Well it looks like you redrilled the mount too right?

Well it looks like you re drilled the mount too right?

I modified the right side by moving the nutplate back about 1" and removing the unwanted part of the support. That would leave me enough room. The tranny mount is actually in the same location it used to be, just bolted in a different place.