HybridZ

Crazyoctopus 1972 240z build up (long first post)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks low rider, and here is the most recent version that I seem to have forgotten to post.

5144190818_b355b9c9fe_o.jpg

WIRING DIAGRAM REV.15 by crazyoctopus, on Flickr

me too BluDestiny! The only time that it I can remember it was on a scale was when I went to the dump. I think it was after I changed the windows, and gutted the doors. It had a full tank of gas, my bag of tools, and some other random bits and it weighed 2.01GR; I am assuming that 1 GR is 1000lbs, which would make my car ~2010lbs. Personally I think it was a bit more than that; however once the engine goes in and now that the wiring has been simplified I am hoping to break the 2000 mark.

• 4 weeks later...

Kudos on the Volvo swap, it's original and I think one of the great aspects of s30 platform is being able to chart unmarked territorys knowing you wont go out and see 15 identical cars that look just like yours.

Have you messed around with the s13 dash anymore? Im torn between that or an aluminum dash.

The only thing that gets me on the s13 is available space for gauges. I have 11 gauges now and I would pressed to find a suitable mounting location for them unless you have some insight on this dilemma?

I don't mean to go so far back on your build but the suspension is an awesome setup and is what i have been looking for over the typical cups and struts option. How about a parts list for the big items and where to buy ie shocks and tube kit, or maybe a couple of forum links on suspension you found useful. I just spent 3hrs reading the whole write up and your ride is sweet.

I don't mean to go so far back on your build but the suspension is an awesome setup and is what i have been looking for over the typical cups and struts option. How about a parts list for the big items and where to buy ie shocks and tube kit, or maybe a couple of forum links on suspension you found useful. I just spent 3hrs reading the whole write up and your ride is sweet.

Thanks tvgz28 for the compliment! as far as the gauge space goes there is more than enough room to fit gauges. figure 3 in the inst cluster area (speedo, tach, fuel), 3 in the middle vent area (oil p, water temp, volt), and then there is the whole area under the middle vent for even more. Look at some track s13s for more ideas. Al dash is awesome and a pound or two lighter, but s13 dashes are a bit cheaper and still give a nice look to the interior.

tripled-my-z. Megan coils from their site, tubes and plates from 240zdan (but I dont think he is making them anymore, so look at zccjdm as they are selling them)

The 16v head bolts showed up this afternoon at YoshiFab!!! So I unbolted my oil pan so that Josh could weld in a fittingfor the turbo's oil drainage. The fitting seriously took Josh maybe 10 minutes to weld it in... insane fast in my honest opinion. I forgot to take photos of the oil pan today, but I'll get them tomorrow when I finish making the engine look like a real engine.

When I got back I started the attack...

Super Volvo sealant applied after torquing the bolts down: 15 lbs, then 30 lbs, then 115 degrees.

5240071550_15a8302ee9_z.jpg

Top of the head half way though putting in the lifters

5240074656_7486a70c59_z.jpg

Installing cams: all nuts torqued to 15 lbs == DO NOT EXCEED OR YOU WILL SNAP THE BOLTS!==

5239479189_4e82da14b1_z.jpg

5239484279_91bb38ae90_z.jpg

and done!

5239489687_ed5e0c5826_z.jpg

5240092980_d4ae5bd683_z.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be bolting on the manifolds and oil pan, re-clocking the turbo, installing the timing belt, and cleaning it up a bit; I can't wait for it to look like a real engine.

Your speaking Greek to me on the ecu lol. I'm not to keen on Volvo stuff. On your colover setup do you happen to know what your maximum ride height is with coilover threaded into the tube and still have a reasonably safe amount of thread engagement?

The reason I ask is that a few of us will be using the adapters with emusa coilovers and they are 1-3/4 shorter then meagns and I was just curious if a near stock ride height is attainable if the emusa's are used .

Wow I just spent an hour and a half skimming and reading your build and I gotta say that it is super impressive! After reading it, I feel more confident about doing my l28et swap which I will start in two weeks. Crazyoctopus you are like a Z god, hope you can give me insight on my build which I will start soon!

tvgz28 - heh it is all still kinda new for me as well, but it is essentially a flywheel crank trigger with an ecu and an ignition computer (ezk). as far as the ride height max goes i really dont; when I was doing the install it was more important for me to show how low it goes than how high. When the car gets back on the ground I'll make one side of the car as high as possible and the other as low as possible to show the difference. In My honest opinion I think that a near stock height is attainable, but why would you want that biggrin.gif?

xShodaimex- thank you kindly! and i'll try my best.

That engine management sounds alot like a Ford tfi setup, Does it adjust to changes in air flow well? larger turbo, ect

Those ride height pictures would be a great addition to the s13 coilover Bible I made!

The reason I'm trying to get info on the ride height is because some of us running the emusa coilovers fear it might be to low with the coilover threaded all the way out on the adapter tube, But if you think a near stock ride height is attainable with the Megan's then at worst the maximum ride height will be 1-3/4 below stock height which I believe just about everyone with this set up is going at least that low. I just was afraid you would say something like the highest you could go was 2 or so inches below factory height and with us that have the emusa's that would be 3-3/4 which would be lower then some would want to go.

tvgz28 - it will still be a month or two before I finally get it on the ground think about the ride height adjustments, but i'll try to get it in a bit sooner.

Today was a continuation of the motor piece together and it was littered with both great and horrible things, I won’t get into horribleness today because the lighting wasn’t the best.

Since the oil pan was off the block I looked under its skirt to see if I did indeed have the awesome oil-squirting block, I did…

5242511003_699546ca7a_b.jpg

Here is Josh’s handy work with the new turbo oil drain.

5242513359_b9c0ca65ca_b.jpg

5243111156_5f762cbc9e_b.jpg

And here is how the engine sits with the oil pan now installed

5243113358_cdf0c7d5e4_b.jpg

5242520661_3c26368dc3_b.jpg

Then I FINALLY got my collector edition of GT5 in, and of course I was forced into the dilemma of racing vs. real.

5241817175_9f2d7ff2a3_b.jpg

I chose real and installed the intake manifold as well as YoshiFab’s tensioner, getting the tension right will be a job for tomorrow.

5242526105_51c6902758_b.jpg

Then started on the exhaust side with the removal of the exhaust bolts

5242529339_e0a2287777_b.jpg

5242532113_0d9095a806_b.jpg

5242535587_05202a6bd5_b.jpg

5243133192_9740df3fd8_b.jpg

During the process, of course, one of the bolts snapped in the head… another thing I’ll be working on tomorrow.

5242541211_7b75d34636_b.jpg

5242543301_424d28fc2e_b.jpg

Test mounted YoshiFab’s exhaust adapter plate and noticed that bolts that come off the 16v head are a bit too long. So I ran to the hardware store and picked up some bolts (I want to say they were M8x1.25 at 30mm) and washers. Then it got kind of cold and dark so I decided that the best course of action was to just pick up where I left off early tomorrow.

Then about 30 minutes ago my monitor mount finally came in!! So GT5 action is soon to come after a nice shower, some food, and some vodka+

5243141804_77b8d6dc86_b.jpg

Nice jeans mate.

Surely after all the work you're doing you could clean up that cylinder head and engine block. It looks yuk covered in oil. Get your self some truck wash and liberally paint it on everything with a paint brush with the brissles cut down to about 20mm. The hose it off and if not completely clean, reapply. It will make everything look so much better, especially the ally head.