HybridZ

How to get the Gland Packing assembly off the Strut?

I am trying to get the old OEM shocks out and put in the new Tokico HP's but need to remove the Gland Packing assembly (as it is called by the OEM Service manual in the Front Axle and Suspension section). The Service Manual says to use Special Tool No. 35500000; unfortunately i do not have a Special Tool No. 35500000. The front suspension and the rear suspension have a different pattern Gland Packing assembly.

I figured I'd ask you guys for guidance before using the ever popular hammer to try and bang it out.

FRONT

IMG_0458.jpg

REAR

IMG_0460.jpg

A pipe wrench works well. It will definately leave a mark, but usualy not bad.(non functional part) Use a pipe for additional leverage. Brake fluid is an excellent rust buster. Multiple shots with a hammer,

on the housing/thread interface will help loosen things if they're stubborn.

Often times I couldn't get a wrench of any kind to grasp the gland nut. If you have the strut off the car you can place the gland nut in a vise which will grip the gland nut better than a wrench and then turn the strut until the nut breaks loose. In one case I had to use a breaker bar to turn the strut to get the gland nut loose. Snap-on sells a spanner for the gland nut.

Miles

My fronts were a bit of a bitch but I just put the whole assembly in a vice, used a set of channel locks and a big pipe slipped over it as a breaker. Use some good penetrating oil too, like PB blaster.

The rears were really easy and came loose on the first try.

I used a pipe wrench. I wasnt worried about scaring it since I had new ones with the new strut inserts. Just be careful to not scar up the actual housing. You wouldnt want to scar or warp the housing.

I ended up just takeing it to les schwabs to have the gland nuts put back on. They did all 4 for like $15 or so.

My secret. Hammer and chisel. Put the chisel into one of the notches and angle it so it will spin the nut and whack it with the hammer. If the nut is round, make a notch with the chisel first and then change the angle of the chisel to turn the nut. Worlds most basic impact wrench.