HybridZ

Carbon Cowl & door shells

Mikelly

I did a brief search and didn't see anything current for this, but is there a known vendor for carbon or glass cowls and door shells? I know we have an excellent vendor for hoods and hatches, but looking for other panels of a composite nature...

Car is almost ready to track... We WILL make a 2010 track schedule...and my time is very near to becoming my own...

Mike

Thanks. The goal is to have the appropriate panels available this season as we improve this car. We're considering options for running the car this year. I may do some NASA TTs... Lighter is better...

Mike

Just to let you guys know, the doors from VR are just hollow shells. No room or cut outs for windows, handles etc.

If its for track only I'd imagine it works great, while still retaining the Z's lines, but for replacement or daily usage, you'd either have to fabricate something or enjoy not having windows.

I just did a quick-and-dirty upload of some photos. Not fancy, but the photos are the important part anyway.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/doors.html

I can do 1) a fiberglass skin, 2) a skin bonded to a complete inner shell with a molded-in door "handle" feature (top photos), or 3) a skin bonded to a "perimeter" shell (bottom photos). The skin by itself is obviously a little cheaper ($190 as I recall, but I will confirm, if any of you are interested in just the skins).

Can also do carbon, but the glass is only 6# per door so carbon won't save that much vs. the cost.

Can ship in a bicycle box for about $50 to most locations.

Thanks for your interest!

John, I thought about you at first and then figured "No way he's doing doors now!"... Hahahaha

Thanks man, that is exactly what I'm looking at. I've got nascar style door bars and don't have a need for arm rests or window hardware!

The last two pics in your link are exactly what I'm looking for!

Mike

I just did a quick-and-dirty upload of some photos. Not fancy, but the photos are the important part anyway.

I can do 1) a fiberglass skin, 2) a skin bonded to a complete inner shell with a molded-in door "handle" feature (top photos), or 3) a skin bonded to a "perimeter" shell (bottom photos). The skin by itself is obviously a little cheaper ($190 as I recall, but I will confirm, if any of you are interested in just the skins).

Can also do carbon, but the glass is only 6# per door so carbon won't save that much vs. the cost.

Can ship in a bicycle box for about $50 to most locations.

Thanks for your interest!

Sorry for delay in responding. For some reason the system isn't notifying me of posts. Will have to check settings on my account.

Option 1 IS the door skins, and the skins alone are $190 each.

BTW, I just added a link at the bottom of that page to my installation guide for the doors, as well as the installation guide for all my fender kits. Check 'em out!

Hey Mike,

Good to hear you are making some progress. Do you have a date in mind? Perhaps the Z car event at VIR in February?

I'm not sure I can stand the cold but if you are going to be there I may have to man up and go.

Ahhh, for the days when you would go to Nissan and put the Nissan Part Number in for the FRP doors (Hatch, Hood...) that accepted all the stock linkages (and the perspex windows were in stock ready for shipment as well...)

That's all fine and good tony, but I have some serious issues getting in the way of "that hardware".

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Mikelly_2006/Mikes%20Zcar%20Pics/143.jpg

I don't "need" the doors right now, but I'm planning to remove all metal components from a "body" standpoint, and just go with glass or everywhere I can. This car hasn't been outside or wet for more than 2 days total ( and one hand washed and hand dried bath to get dust off it) in the last 5 years and it's got evidence of rust in a few places... I'll be replacing everything I can that isn't structural over time!

Mike

Ahhh, for the days when you would go to Nissan and put the Nissan Part Number in for the FRP doors (Hatch, Hood...) that accepted all the stock linkages (and the perspex windows were in stock ready for shipment as well...)

Yes, they are available now.

Please, fellows, if you expect me to answer right away EMAIL ME DIRECTLY. The HybridZ system is not notifying me of posts (or the notification isn't getting to me for some other reason), so I have no idea that you've asked questions unless someone else just happens to notice and sends me an email.

Thanks!