HybridZ

Quality tools

bschiltz

My S-10 Blazer DD was chipping teeth on the flexplate, so having more time than money or sense I pulled the motor to replace it. In the process, I stripped the gears on two el cheapo ratchets which got me to thinking... I should invest in some tools that will last.

So, what brand of tools would you recommend? I've heard mixed things about Craftsman, but there's a lifetime warranty of their tools right? Any places online to look?

Thanks

Ben

I like Lowe's brand Kobalt, I heard they were made by the same people that make Craftsmen and they have a lifetime warranty as well. I have broken one gear wrench, but it had a 5 foot breaker bar on it and a guy standing on the bar, but I took it in and they replaced it no question asked.

I like Lowe's brand Kobalt, I heard they were made by the same people that make Craftsmen and they have a lifetime warranty as well. I have broken one gear wrench, but it had a 5 foot breaker bar on it and a guy standing on the bar, but I took it in and they replaced it no question asked.

haha, been there. I may have to start hitting up lowes for tools. How are their prices?

Ebay is a good place for brand name tools (Snap-on, Mac, Matco, ect) which are all excellent tools, but better if you have a way to get them fixed or replaced if they break. I go there for allot of my stuff, but I'm a mechanic and have access to all the local tool trucks. Craftsman and Husky (Home Depot's brand) are good tools for the weekend mechanic and are replaceable if they let you down. My Dad has Craftsman tools older then me, so you know they will last.

My old man has Craftsman tools that are probably 40 years old, and they're great. In the mid 90's they started geting much thicker walls on their tools and IMO weren't as well built, but a few days ago I went into a Sears and checked out the Craftsman tools (as an exit to being pulled along clothes shopping) and they look like much higher quality.

For Air-Tools though, I think IR are the best, and I've abused all of mine to no avail.

Guest jeffie7

I have most every tool I need in craftsman, I also have 2nd sets of most every thing from harbor fright, dirt cheap but great for a 2nd set, plus every tool doubles as a hammer.

I really like snapon due to the slim profile but the price just doesn't offset the quality for me. Plus just like craftsman they do break however it's easier to go to sears VS tracking down a snapon truck.

If lowes or HD offers a lifetime warranty I would buy your main set of tools from whatever business is more local to you. in the end, all tools can break, its about getting them replaced with the least hassle, not sure about HD/Lowes but sears you can walk in give them the broke tool, grab new one and walk out.

I have found out that, unlike the past at sears, any tool that has some kind of power to it (electrical, air, etc.) has NO warranty. Only the hand-type tools have the warranty. I remember when it didn't matter what kind of tool it was, a lifetime warranty was just that.

Guest jeffie7

If you get enough random tools + tape you can piece them together to get to anything!

24.jpg

25.jpg

Removing the cats on my 350Z I love my rusty pipe o power 2000©

26.jpg

LOL, I thought I was the only one taping extensions together! My main breaker bar is the door crash bar from the '94 Z28 I used as my doner car.

If you get enough random tools + tape you can piece them together to get to anything!

Removing the cats on my 350Z I love my rusty pipe o power 2000©

Guest jeffie7

Whats weird is I have 3 or 4 different breaker bars but for some reason I always grab for my pipe o power, its shorter and for some reason breaks any bolt loose. I mostly use my breaker bars for lug nuts or brake work, anytime I run the risk of damage to the body I stay away from the pipe o power.

That's funny, I did the same thing when I was rebuilding the forks on my dirt bike. I got sick of fishing the sockets/adapters/extensions out of them, so I taped them together. We had aluminum "seat rods" when I worked on C-130's that we used as extension bars on our ratchets. They where perfect size on the inside for a 3/8 ratchet handle, the outside was nice and smooth, they where about 18" long and light. Perfect!

Guest jeffie7
That's funny, I did the same thing when I was rebuilding the forks on my dirt bike. I got sick of fishing the sockets/adapters/extensions out of them, so I taped them together. We had aluminum "seat rods" when I worked on C-130's that we used as extension bars on our ratchets. They where perfect size on the inside for a 3/8 ratchet handle, the outside was nice and smooth, they where about 18" long and light. Perfect!

I use a lot of tape when working on my supersport bike. #1 reason is to keep from having to dig out tools that get stuck like you said #2 is to keep from scratching.

sucks holding up a gas tank and trying to get behind the frame to a tiny bolt, it makes working on cars seem like a walk in the park.

Good tools.................It's all about money and the amount you can spend. There "aint no free lunch." Snap-on and Mac are up there on the list. The Chinese are working hard to improve their quality and IMHO can now compete with some of the standard but ok quality like tools being offered by Craftsman and other manufacturers who have been around since Moby was a minnow.

Guest jeffie7

The Chinese can easily make great products, problem is no one is willing to pay for them.

People want the product cheap cheap cheap! Then whines about how they're cheaper quality.

You get what you pay for. IMO cheap tools are great for 2nd sets. I use mine all the time and if they break I just replace the set.

I don't mind paying for a good tool. I bought a new style Matco impact quality 3/8 universal that's completely non-binding, which is important when your torquing hard to reach wing bolts on aircraft. It was 40.00 for the tool, but like the saying goes... you never complain about having bought a nice tool. That being said, nothing wrong with Harbor Freight/ Craftsman/ Husky for weekend projects. (That's what's in my garage)